Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Expat Voting Apathy?

Expat Voting Apathy?

Old Nov 9th 2012, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Rod_ph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expat Voting Apathy?

"Not so much about apathy necessarily. More so about the barriers put in place by successive British governments. Paper based ballot papers that require postage from the UK to Australia and back again and needing to be physically returned by polling day in order to be counted. Less than 20,000 overseas votes in the last general election out of millions who are eligible. Why not introduce voting by secure internet – that would certainly increase the participation rate but UK politicians are not interested. I can vote for the executive of the National Trust by internet, for the executive of my political party by internet and for the executive of my professional body by internet – why is it so hard to vote in a general election or council election by internet?"
http://votes-for-expat-brits-blog.co...zens/#comments
Old Nov 9th 2012, 1:37 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat Voting Apathy?

Originally Posted by Rod_ph
"Not so much about apathy necessarily. More so about the barriers put in place by successive British governments. Paper based ballot papers that require postage from the UK to Australia and back again and needing to be physically returned by polling day in order to be counted. Less than 20,000 overseas votes in the last general election out of millions who are eligible. Why not introduce voting by secure internet – that would certainly increase the participation rate but UK politicians are not interested. I can vote for the executive of the National Trust by internet, for the executive of my political party by internet and for the executive of my professional body by internet – why is it so hard to vote in a general election or council election by internet?"
http://votes-for-expat-brits-blog.co...zens/#comments
Why on earth would I vote in an election in a country I don't live in.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 1:45 pm
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

+ 1

Hell I wouldn't even vote here if it weren't for the fine (for which I vote for the one I think is the biggest douche bag)... who gives a shit what's going on else where.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by northernbird
Why on earth would I vote in an election in a country I don't live in.
Do you vote in Australian national elections then northernbird to influence the choice of government where you live, assuming you are a British citizen resident there?

Originally Posted by furbacchione
+ 1

Hell I wouldn't even vote here if it weren't for the fine (for which I vote for the one I think is the biggest douche bag)... who gives a shit what's going on else where.
Furbacchione,
You don't seem too impressed with democracy in general to attach much importance to voting in Australia (although you do vote) or elsewhere?

Would it bother either of you if you couldn't vote anywhere but had to leave this up to others who see it as more their civic duty?
Old Nov 9th 2012, 3:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Do you vote in Australian national elections then northernbird to influence the choice of government where you live, assuming you are a British citizen resident there?

Furbacchione,
You don't seem too impressed with democracy in general to attach much importance to voting in Australia (although you do vote) or elsewhere?

Would it bother either of you if you couldn't vote anywhere but had to leave this up to others who see it as more their civic duty?
Why your sudden interest in British voting habits in Aus? Are you heading over this way.
Did you know its compulsory to attend polling stations here and there is a fine for not submitting some kind of ballot paper, even if its a spoilt one?

Being a British citizen resident here does not entitle one to vote here. You have to be an Australian citizen to do that.

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 9th 2012 at 3:41 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 3:35 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Furbacchione,

I'm a dual citizen and yes of course I vote here in both local and federal elections.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't exercise your right to vote, then perhaps you don't really have a right to complain when the MP's do something that you don't like?
Old Nov 9th 2012, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Why your sudden interest in British voting habits in Aus? Are you heading over this way.
Did you know its compulsory to attend polling stations here and there is a fine for not submitting some kind of ballot paper, even if its a spoilt one?

Being a British citizen resident here does not entitle one to vote here. You have to be an Australian citizen to do that.
I was aware that as an Australian citizen it's compulsary to vote, which is also the case in Belgium where I used to live. Normally you have to be a national to be able to vote which you say is also the case in Australia, although this is not the case in the UK where Commonwealth (and Irish) citizens are also able to vote. I'm, therefore, interested in the voting habits of non-Australian but British citizens living in Australia who seem disinclined to vote in the UK (even though they still have the right to vote up to 15 years away).
Old Nov 9th 2012, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Why should I even be able to vote in UK elections?

I've lived and worked in Australia for over 5 years, it would be wrong to interfere with the election in another country.....

And where's the poll? I was going to vote
Old Nov 9th 2012, 11:06 pm
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Furbacchione,

Democracy is about choice. Compulsory voting is not a choice therefore I say up yours to those that try to force me to do it.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 11:12 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
If you don't exercise your right to vote, then perhaps you don't really have a right to complain when the MP's do something that you don't like?
Rubbish

There has to be an individual or party worth voting for. Relying on voting for the lesser of the evils makes those that vote look stupid if that's the tactic they are subscribing to.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 11:15 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Or alternatively, if you vote you implicitly legitimise the party system where they lie to you for a few months, then go off and do what they fancy. And if you vote you don't get to pick policies, you pick between n liars, none of which match what you think or will do what you say.

Maybe its only if you don't vote that you have the right to complain about what is done to you, without the opportunity for true democratic control.....
Old Nov 9th 2012, 11:25 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

cant the consulate and high commission as ballot releasing and processing centre?
Old Nov 10th 2012, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furbacchione
Rubbish

There has to be an individual or party worth voting for. Relying on voting for the lesser of the evils makes those that vote look stupid if that's the tactic they are subscribing to.
Just because you don't think there's a party worth voting for, doesn't mean that everyone else is of the same opinion.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
Or alternatively, if you vote you implicitly legitimise the party system where they lie to you for a few months, then go off and do what they fancy. And if you vote you don't get to pick policies, you pick between n liars, none of which match what you think or will do what you say.

Maybe its only if you don't vote that you have the right to complain about what is done to you, without the opportunity for true democratic control.....

If everyone voted just for policies, then nothing would ever get done. You have to vote for the party that you think will do the best for you. They cannot cater for individual whims, and yes, sometimes they do lie, or change policies- sometimes they are forced to by economic circumstances. I know sometimes you don't get much of a choice, and don't like what they do
but at the moment that is the way democracy works.

And I have voted in UK elections since I have been here- whether my vote got counted, I don't know, but I did exercise my right. After all, women fought hard to get the right to vote, and I'm not going to lose it through apathy. The UK still holds my pension, and I'm a British Citizen so I have not completely cut my ties with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.