Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

need help with qualifications situation for new zealand

need help with qualifications situation for new zealand

Old Aug 20th 2012, 10:03 am
Just Joined

bow3723 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need help with qualifications situation for new zealand

hi im in need of help as im trying to emigrate to NZ as a plumber but ive spoke to an emmigration consultant who says i need an nvq level 3 to do it but ive got experience and a vast array of quals

my quals are

level 2 NVQ plumbing
level 2 6129 plumbing certificate
level 2 domestic electrical installer
level 2 C and G 2392 electrical testing and inspecting
level 3 part L energy efficiency domestic heating
level 3 water regulations
level 3 solar domestic water heating
level 3 unvented hot water systems
level 3 part p electrics
level 3 solar pv install and design
level 3 17th edition wiring regs
level 3 building regs
CSCS Plumber card

when i left the Army i retrained at npower where ive fitted about 2000 bathrooms 500+ central heating systems 100+ solar systems my quals are very sort after here but not sure what this emmigration consultant means any help would be really appreciative as i want to get everything in place as soon as possible so me the wife and kids can start the life weve wanted since leaving the forces

thanks

sean
Old Aug 20th 2012, 9:33 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: need help with qualifications situation for new zealand

I'm not sure that plumber is still on any lists? have you checked that your skill are still required to enable you to apply for a visa or do you already have a job offer?
Old Aug 20th 2012, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

I've been told that there still very much needed and my points score is 110 and no job offer yet at the first stages of the process I have been in touch with employment consultants out there who reckon there's a job there for me still weary though
Old Aug 20th 2012, 10:44 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you're right to be weary, even with a job offer if its not on a shortage list then you still may not get a visa. (?)
Hopefully someone will be along soon to give you full information on requirements and if a visa is achievable.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 11:03 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You have not been told correctly. Plumbers are not in shortage here.

Please take a look HERE at the PGDB website a ( click the link)

Your qualifications need to match those of NZ. Even then you would not ben seen as NZ qualified. You would need to do further work exp and exams in NZ for that. The link will explain.

You will need the prelim assessment from the PGDB before you could claim any sort of points.

HERE will show you the final year credits an NZ plumber apprentice needs to complete in order to gain the national certificate . This is somewhat equal to an NVQ3 but not exactly.

Come back to me with any further questions. We emigrated here 8 years ago under my husbands plumbing/ gasfitting qualifications.

Further note: Please be very careful of anyone telling you that there is plenty of work here and that they can get you a job. I'm not saying you can't get a job offer but an NZ employer isn't free to just offer you work because the trade is not in shortage here.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 8:48 am
Just Joined

ddem is an unknown quantity at this point

My advise would be to see if you are able to get out here to meet employers and take as many CVs in to companies personally. This proved invaluable for us after trying to get a job for 2&1/2 years! Within 2 weeks we had a job offer on the table. My husband is a Gasfitter so we've been dealing with all the same issues. Strangely enough, you can get in on the SMC on plumbing (although many people think not as it's not listed, but technically it is listed... Under a certain category Under a certain table... Don't ask me, my mind has been fried from all this immigration stuff!). We gained work visas first, then PR.
PGDB on the other hand is a totally different kettle of fish... You will have to get your qualifications assessed by NZQA (although this isn't necessary for immigration, it is necessary for your plumbing licence), that process took us 7 weeks, so I would strongly suggest you get that process started as soon as possible (we already had a job offer before we started the process, do we had the worry of whether the offer was going to stick around). Once you have that info, the next process is to apply for 'overseas assessment' with PGDB... Once they approve that application (approx 2-3 weeks) you then have a telephone interview (arranged within the week). Finally you have to wait for their decision on your application, if all ok then you will get an invitation to apply for a provisional licence. You can then work underneath a certified licenced plumber whilst you work on your own licence. They only have 2 written exams throughout the year for this (usually June & nov). Once passed, a practical examination is necessary, where they come out to assess your work. Then hey presto, after what seems like forever, you should get a licence!
Wish you guys all the luck in the world, we know how frustrating it is!
On another note, usually a level 2 UK qualification is equivalent to level 3... A so on... So this may help you when you look through an EOI form, but NZQA will confirm that with a certificate.
Hope some of this helps in any way... Please feel free to ask any questions. We moved in Feb this year, so it's all fresh and new for us!
Old Sep 5th 2012, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Found a link...
If you have an offer of employment, then the employment is classed as skilled if on one of the lists... Of which, hey presto, plumbing is :-)
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/i35171.htm
Old Sep 5th 2012, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Sorry, me again!!! Click on the 'appendix 6' link once you have selected UK an 'trades' and then it is listed in List B...
Old Sep 5th 2012, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

That's a great help ddem thanks I've also just finished my gas completed my acs also so I'm definatly goin ahead with this how have you both found it so far
Old Sep 5th 2012, 11:49 pm
`

Originally Posted by ddem
. Strangely enough, you can get in on the SMC on plumbing (although many people think not as it's not listed, but technically it is listed...
Plumbers and gasfitters are not listed on the skills in shortage lists.
The 2 trade occupations are listed in the list of occupations seen as skilled.
Very different lists.

A person is free to apply to migrate under the skilled migrant route if the occupation is on the skilled occupations list. That is regardless of whether or not the trade skill is on the shortages lists. Whether or not that person would gain enough points is another matter. I'd think not so a job offer would be needed.

As the trades are not in shortage, any employer offering work would need to prove to NZIS that there is no NZ citizen or resident that could do or take up that work, unles, the employer is on the NZIS accredited employer list.

PGDB on the other hand is a totally different kettle of fish... You will have to get your qualifications assessed by NZQA (although this isn't necessary for immigration, it is necessary for your plumbing licence),
Correct & not correct.
The quals must be assessed by NZQA & the PGDB as it is a requirement by NZIS that the would be migrant can show they would be eligible for NZ PGDB occupational registration once here and working in NZ .

What NZQA will do is to check unit by unit that the quals and training you've had in the UK matches the quals and training that is undertaken in NZ as shown in the link I gave to you.

If the would-be migrants quals don't meet the standard for possible NZ registration then the application won't go ahead. It is one of the criteria that the applicant meets the NZ standards for occupational registration just like nurses, teachers, pharmacists etc.

Once you have that info, the next process is to apply for 'overseas assessment' with PGDB... Once they approve that application (approx 2-3 weeks) you then have a telephone interview (arranged within the week). Finally you have to wait for their decision on your application, if all ok then you will get an invitation to apply for a provisional licence. You can then work underneath a certified licenced plumber whilst you work on your own licence. They only have 2 written exams throughout the year for this (usually June & nov). Once passed, a practical examination is necessary, where they come out to assess your work. Then hey presto, after what seems like forever, you should get a licence!
This would all be for after a visa is issued and when the person is to start work. A provisional license is not issued unless you have a job to go with it.

On another note, usually a level 2 UK qualification is equivalent to level 3... A so on... So this may help you when you look through an EOI form, but NZQA will confirm that with a certificate.
Yes they will.
The NZ register requires a level 4 for plumbers = NZ apprenticeship - 4 yrs on the job training, coursework and study. That would be an NVQ3

110 points is too low. A job offer would be needed which entails an employer approval in principle as outlined above.
Before that though this person needs to ensure that their quals will meet the PGDB, NZQA and NZIS standard which is level 4.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 11:56 pm
`

Originally Posted by ddem
Sorry, me again!!! Click on the 'appendix 6' link once you have selected UK an 'trades' and then it is listed in List B...
The list of occupations seen as skilled is at the top of our BE NZ Immy section right HERE

Repeat - this is not the same as the skills in shortage lists.

Links to the NZIS operation manual will only take you to the front page.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 12:25 am
Just Joined

Bow3723,
I apologies if what I have written is incorrect information, it is purely my experience of the whole immigration/visa process this year. Definitely do your research... But as I have said, a job offer is necessary.

BEVS
Could you please delete my posts? I do not wish to be dealing with experiences in this manner - I'm actually upset by the way in which you have written. I think this will be my last experience on this site - all I was doing is expressing my experience - I never did say I knew everything. I feel like a naughty school girl who has been told off for getting something wrong. Is this really what this site is suppose to achieve? Great one if so.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 1:22 am
`

Please accept my apologies if you have found my post style off-putting. It's not intended to be so. Sometimes it can be blunt when pushed for time.

For what it's worth, your own post on the subject seemed to suggest my info was incorrect and out of date so should be ignored.

My further effort was simply to ensure the OP, Bow3273, knew what was needed, especially when it comes to overseas qualifications. The PGDB takes no prisoners on this.

I think we are both talking from the same page but in a different way.
We have both stated that a job offer would be necessary . He does need to ensure that his overseas quals meet the NZ standard though as we have both experienced.

Strangely , there seems to be more work out there for a gasfitter at the moment than a plumber. Not sure why that is.

I'll not be deleting the posts as it would make a mess of the thread & there is already very helpful information on it.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

billykid_99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bow3723
hi im in need of help as im trying to emigrate to NZ as a plumber but ive spoke to an emmigration consultant who says i need an nvq level 3 to do it but ive got experience and a vast array of quals

my quals are

level 2 NVQ plumbing
level 2 6129 plumbing certificate
level 2 domestic electrical installer
level 2 C and G 2392 electrical testing and inspecting
level 3 part L energy efficiency domestic heating
level 3 water regulations
level 3 solar domestic water heating
level 3 unvented hot water systems
level 3 part p electrics
level 3 solar pv install and design
level 3 17th edition wiring regs
level 3 building regs
CSCS Plumber card

when i left the Army i retrained at npower where ive fitted about 2000 bathrooms 500+ central heating systems 100+ solar systems my quals are very sort after here but not sure what this emmigration consultant means any help would be really appreciative as i want to get everything in place as soon as possible so me the wife and kids can start the life weve wanted since leaving the forces

thanks

sean
A little help needed!!

I'm at the start of applying for a skilled migrant visa into NZ hoping to enter as a plumber/gas fitter.
Been in the trade for 15 years but before i go into my life story, is there anyone who may be able to answer a few questions or has been through this process recently?????

kind regards
Old Oct 19th 2012, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

billykid_99 is an unknown quantity at this point

just had a look on the NZQA web site, found that the fee is $700 to get UK qualification assessed!!!!!!!!!! is this so???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.