Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Tenerife

Moving to Tenerife

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

alisonbua is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Tenerife

My husband and I live in Rhodes, Greece...and due to the economic struggle here, we have decided to move to Tenerife, as it is an all year round resort.

Could someone please let me know if this is a good option.
My husband is Italian and speaks Spanish...and I am learning.
he is a bar leader.....and i have experience in Travel, Estate agency and Bar / restaurant management.

We eventually want to open our own wine/cocktail bar...but would need to work or a couple of years first.

Are there good opportunites out there for us.

We are in our 30s
Thanks
Old Jun 24th 2012, 3:09 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Tenerife

Originally Posted by alisonbua
My husband and I live in Rhodes, Greece...and due to the economic struggle here, we have decided to move to Tenerife, as it is an all year round resort.

he is a bar leader.....and i have experience in Travel, Estate agency and Bar / restaurant management.

We eventually want to open our own wine/cocktail bar...but would need to work or a couple of years first.

We are in our 30s
Thanks
I suspect this might well be a case of jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Unemployment in Spain is at an all time high, and bars are opening and closing at a great rate. Search the forum for threads on employment in Spain, and you will find many, and all give the same advice, if you have a job where you are, then keep it, don't move to another country in the EU with major ecconomic difficulties.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 6:04 pm
Banned

MrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really nice

Its all wrong this is if you ask me. Don't let other people decide your fate at the end of the day just do what YOU feel is right don't let people on a forum decide it for you. What you going to do now, go back to the other half and say well nah because somebody on britishexpats.com said no we can't do that.

As long as you have your witts about you and your health that's all that matters, do what you feel is right.

Health before wealth always remember that.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 7:23 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrMckenna
Its all wrong this is if you ask me. Don't let other people decide your fate at the end of the day just do what YOU feel is right don't let people on a forum decide it for you. What you going to do now, go back to the other half and say well nah because somebody on britishexpats.com said no we can't do that.

As long as you have your witts about you and your health that's all that matters, do what you feel is right.

Health before wealth always remember that.
no-one has said they can't do it

they have asked for advice & been given some (which I agree with btw)

it's up to them if they take it
Old Jun 25th 2012, 7:48 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

We are in our 30s
Thanks
As you mention TF is a year round resort and therefore more beneficial to the work suggestions you refer to, than many other places in the Med region and mainland Europe.
Your previous experiences in these fields would no doubt be very helpful and in your favour ,however much as elsewhere there is quite a lot of competition for a piece of the pie.

Property rentals are mostly quite high in the resort areas, but quite often very reasonable in mainly Spanish pueblos just a little out of town.
No heating bills to worry about and mostly T-shirt and shorts all year round, so no need for lots of Winter woolies in the coastal areas at least.

It is less expensive than the other Canaries and has quite a lot to offer leisurewise outside of the resort areas.
If you are out of work at present it may well be worth a shot.
Under such circumstances it would definitely be my choice anyway.

If I may be so bold, without wishing to upset the mods, loads more advice and help on here..............

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/forum.php

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Jun 25th 2012 at 7:53 pm. Reason: add on
Old Jun 25th 2012, 7:53 pm
RQM
Forum Regular

RQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really nice

Unemployment in the islands of under 35 years old is a staggering 41.4%, the highest percentage in the country. Bars and restaurants are there for the taking but don´t last more than a couple of months. Even people who have years of experience have thrown in the towel.

If you find work it will probably not have a contract (employers can´t afford to pay your basic wage plus your social) so it will be cash in hand and then at the end of 2 months you will be looking for a different job. No paro and no work.

Tenerife is a wonderful island to live on providing you don´t have to work for a living. Sorry to crush your dream but things will get better eventually and you are young, your time will come.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 9:26 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Even in good times Rhodes like mainland Spain still has the big disadvantage of being mainly seasonal resort-wise.
IMHO, TF is a more pleasant place to be, both in work or out of work than Rhodes and would certainly be my choice in that situation with whatever prospects there may be, occuring all year round.
However if they already have a job contract then no doubt best stay with it as long as it lasts at least.
OK job prospects are not good in TF, but I would never ever regard it as mission impossible.
I have friends who started up there during the worst of the previous recession and went on to be a major success, likewise I know others who started more recently and are continuing to do very well, though admittedly all very experienced in their own particular fields.
Nor is not necessarilly the case that all workers are thrown on the scrapheap after a couple of months, especially if they are reliable,trustworthy and experienced.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 11:06 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

We are in our 30s
Thanks
If you're British, have you thought of returning to the UK and opening something there??? Its much easier and the economy, altho not good is alot better than Spain and Greece right now??? You'd be more likely to succeed

Jo xxx
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute

except accommodation costs will likely ruin your bank account rapidly, there is no lower end of the rental sector where you can rent a studio flat for a couple of hundred euro a month unlike Spain and if you open something you will get clobbered by council rates and have to bend over for health and safety... UK is possibly the worst place in the world to open a small bar, IMO!
Old Jun 26th 2012, 4:08 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishbull
except accommodation costs will likely ruin your bank account rapidly, there is no lower end of the rental sector where you can rent a studio flat for a couple of hundred euro a month unlike Spain and if you open something you will get clobbered by council rates and have to bend over for health and safety... UK is possibly the worst place in the world to open a small bar, IMO!
Who said a small bar??? The UK may have council tax etc, but there is health and safety in Spain too and you can get accommodation within a bar/restaurant in most cases, so only one rental bill and there are quite a few grants to be had these days to start up businesses, especially if you need to re-train first. No language problem either. You also dont have to worry about proving your income and healthcare provision to be allowed to be a resident if you are a UK citizen. The UK may have its faults, but its less shaky financially than Spain or Greece right now and you have the added security of the system

Jo xxx