Reload this Page >

HELP!!! Scooter and Car advice - I'm so confused :(

HELP!!! Scooter and Car advice - I'm so confused :(

Old May 14th 2012, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Jode_76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation HELP!!! Scooter and Car advice - I'm so confused :(

Hi all!

Ok I have a couple of scenarios regarding driving / riding a scooter that I really need help with. I've asked lots of locals around here and information is always different, or they just simply have no idea. I never believed it would be so hard to sort out a car or a scooter in this country.

Here are my 2 scenarios I need advice on:

1 - The English Scooter Conundrum

Ok, I have had my english scooter transported over here (Sant'Antonio Abate) from the UK in the back of my friends van.

- The scooter has no tax / insurance / or MOT.
- I have a full UK driving license - but by cbt ran out a while back.
- The bike has english plates. (is an aprilia habana custom 125)
- I am not a resident of here, im still officially in Manchester.

I would basically like to change the plates to Italian, insure it and get going....how the flip do I do this?!

My GF is a resident of Italy, so i would be happy to transfer ownership to her, but again have no idea how.

Where do i start with this?

2 - The Cool Old Fiat 126 in the Garage

I have been given a beautiful old Fiat 126 that is currently collecting dust in the garage.

I thought it would be a doddle just to put it into my name and insure next to nothing and have a great little run around for the Amalfi coast.

The previous owner is my GF's late uncle. I have been told that because the previous owner is no longer living, that it will cost about a 1000 euros to put it into my name!!!!!

This defied logic and reason to me - as if this was the case, surely there would be a shed load of cars here that are left from deceased owners that cannot be sold, as it you could just buy the SAME CAR from a living owner without having this daft charge?

Is this REALLY the case? Is it this backwards?!

So how do I get this little beauty on the road?

------------------------------

Any help on these apparently baffling problems would be greatly, GREATLY appreciated.

I am actually living with an Italian family at the minute (nobody speaks english) whom cannot give me any answers. In fact when I try and ask, they all start arguing amongst themselves! Ha! And then I'm given crap information that when I try and verify to make sure I understood propery - it completely changes! I was originally told it would only be a few hundred Euros to get the car on the road, and that opinion by the same bloke has gone up to 2 grand - and all with out any phone calls or internet searches.

Hence I have turned to all you for accurate advice.

Please help - I'm pretty fed up with this.

Jode
Old May 14th 2012, 1:31 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!!! Scooter and Car advice - I'm so confused :(

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715468

have a look at the above thread - it will not be easy I am afraid
Old May 14th 2012, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

The car is a bene mobile and is subject to a succession. So, the Grandad died and left no will the car is then divided up amongst his heirs - before you can get it intestate to your GF it must be subject to the succession and then a passaggio di proprietà. I have just done one and it was nearly 1000 euros. It all depends on the succession.

For the bike - you are not a resident you can't have a bike or car. So it must be put into your girlfriends name. It must go to the motorizzazzione and become Italian - this has a cost. Only the plates will cost you 200 plus - you can't just knock up a number plate. Its going to cost you . Answer get GF to buy crappy old scooter with libretto and all in order, then swallow hard and pay out lots of dosh on insurance about 250 euros at the last count.
Old May 14th 2012, 1:44 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

For the bike - (if) you are not a resident you can't (legally) have a bike or car.

I agree with Modicasa and would emphasize his point above:
non-residents can't register vehicles unless they have something like a diplomatic exemption or a separate agreement like the NATO SOFA 1951 that covers the Americans in Vicenza and all the NATO people living around NATO

Last edited by Garbatellamike; May 14th 2012 at 1:45 pm. Reason: change of text size for emphasis
Old May 14th 2012, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: HELP!!! Scooter and Car advice - I'm so confused :(

Originally Posted by modicasa

For the bike - you are not a resident you can't have a bike or car. So it must be put into your girlfriends name. It must go to the motorizzazzione and become Italian - this has a cost. Only the plates will cost you 200 plus - you can't just knock up a number plate. Its going to cost you . Answer get GF to buy crappy old scooter with libretto and all in order, then swallow hard and pay out lots of dosh on insurance about 250 euros at the last count.
Thanks for giving me this info. So that I'm clear:

I can put the bike in my GF's name at the motorizzazzione and get new plates for 200 euros.

I can then insure it under her name for around 250+? I would probably only do it for this summer anyway.

I just read the link given to me by the poster above and I read about a super MOT - my bike is originally an import FROM Italy and has not been modded in anyway, so I'm assuming it will be a simple and cheap process? (!)

So for around 500+ euros I can get my scooter on the road?

(Sod the car then)

Is this correct?
Old May 14th 2012, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

I think you are going to have problems. It is a great country to live in but very difficult to get anything done.

You said "Is this REALLY the case? Is it this backwards?! " YES it is. I bought a Mini from a friend and it cost me 440 euros just to transfer the ownership we both had to go to the office in the town centre at the same time so that they could stick a new address sticker on my docs..

"I am actually living with an Italian family at the minute (nobody speaks english) whom cannot give me any answers. In fact when I try and ask, they all start arguing amongst themselves! Ha! And then I'm given crap information that when I try and verify to make sure I understood propery - it completely changes!" Sounds like my Italian wife and her family

Oh. Bye the way. Welcome to Italy and Britishexpats.
Old May 14th 2012, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jode_76
Thanks for giving me this info. So that I'm clear:

I can put the bike in my GF's name at the motorizzazzione and get new plates for 200 euros.

I can then insure it under her name for around 250+? I would probably only do it for this summer anyway.

I just read the link given to me by the poster above and I read about a super MOT - my bike is originally an import FROM Italy and has not been modded in anyway, so I'm assuming it will be a simple and cheap process? (!)

So for around 500+ euros I can get my scooter on the road?

(Sod the car then)

Is this correct?

I have not tried to re register a bike, but I am pretty sure it is going to cost you a lot more than 250. I will try and find you the thread regarding a guy who brought a bike to the UK and the hoops he had to jump through plus the cost..
Old May 14th 2012, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=import
Old May 14th 2012, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Post Re: HELP!!! Scooter and Car advice - I'm so confused :(

Thanks for your help all, especially you Pecora!

I still feel no closer to actually getting this sorted, but at least I now know I need to do it in my GF's name.

Would anyone know where I can start with the process to do this? Can I just do it the normal way by sending off the slip on the bottom of my v10 document ( think its v10, it's the English ownership reg certificate). Or is there some crazy Italian way that requires a kidney and my firstborn or something.

Incidentally, pecora - i read your Englishman in Italy blog. Very good writing I thought....why only the 3 entries?
Old May 15th 2012, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I wasn't clear - 200 for the plates, then you will have to pay for the revision, motorizzazzione etc, before they allow the bike on Italian roads. Have you got documentation showing you as the owner? If not -. and without a libretto - you will have to pay lots of money. If you have ownership docs they will need to be translated with a traduzione giurata at the tribunal ecc ecc - I didn't mean to say you pay 200 for the plates and off you go.... sorry
Old May 15th 2012, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Ciao and welcome.
I think what you need to do is find an 'agenzia automobilistica' usually attached to a driving school. The bottom line is that no, you can't just send of your slip.
Especially in an area (provincia di Napoli) like S.Antonio Abate. You will need a sworn translation of Registration document, MOT certificate, Certificate of Conformation (COC), your girlfriends carta d'identita and a certificato di residenza; and the bit off your registration document that you send off to DVLA saying that you have permanently exported the scooter. All this will have to be taken off to the motorizzazione in Napoli; will probably take 3/4 months to process; and will cost you in the region of 1200 eurines.
Sorry, but that's how it is.
If you are going to settle around S.Antonio Abate/Castellamare, there is lots to do and see; but arm yourself with a shed load of patience and tolerance.
ciao for now.
'o nonno
Old May 15th 2012, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for your help all, especially you Pecora!

I still feel no closer to actually getting this sorted, but at least I now know I need to do it in my GF's name.

Would anyone know where I can start with the process to do this? Can I just do it the normal way by sending off the slip on the bottom of my v10 document ( think its v10, it's the English ownership reg certificate). Or is there some crazy Italian way that requires a kidney and my firstborn or something.

Incidentally, pecora - i read your Englishman in Italy blog. Very good writing I thought....why only the 3 entries?
Hi Jode,

I think I would be tempted to just go and buy a cheap bike or car and start from fresh. As pointed out already you will need residency or ask your girlfriend to buy it in her name. It will take a long time and a lot of hassle to sort your bike, and I don't think it will be an easy process to sort the dead uncle's car out either.

It is very difficult to do anything in Italy, even when you understand the language and the Italian process. I am like you I rely on my wife for translation, it makes life an interesting process. Our conversations are always peppered with "what & you have to be kidding"

At the moment we are 2 month into trying to sort out why my Poste Italia internet connection doesn't work. I tried to use it when I was in the UK and Poste Italia blocked it and now they can't un block it Bless them. Lots of excuses but still not working.

Regarding my blog, I started it as a bit of fun. A few people suggested I try and turn it into a book. So I stopped the blog and started the book. I finished it last year and I need to spend some time tiding it up. Glad you liked it, maybe you have given me a push to get it finished.

Life can be very frustrating over here. I like it!! It must be my weird sense of humour that gets me through, that and the occasional glad of wine.

Where are you based??

Pete
Old May 15th 2012, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Post Re: HELP!!! Scooter and Car advice - I'm so confused :(

@ o'nonno

Oh Jesus, really? What a ridiculous nightmare! It's just a silly little 125 worth no more than 700 quid......

I'm definately not going to do all that, especially as I only wanted it for this summer.

Ok, I have two other ideas:

1. Go back to the UK, do my CBT, and then get the bike insured with European cover (they say you can have 90 days cover anywhere in Europe). I won't need to take the bike home as I don't need tax or MOT. And then if I ever get stopped here, I can just show the various types of different coppers my license, and cover note and I'm all good......?

2. Just ride the bike with my English plates......what's the worst can happen if they stop me? Confiscate the bike? Be my guest.....still cheaper than going through that long expensive process......?

Any thoughts on these rather drastic solutions?
Old May 15th 2012, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

@ o'nonno

Oh Jesus, really? What a ridiculous nightmare! It's just a silly little 125 worth no more than 700 quid......

I'm definately not going to do all that, especially as I only wanted it for this summer.

Ok, I have two other ideas:

1. Go back to the UK, do my CBT, and then get the bike insured with European cover (they say you can have 90 days cover anywhere in Europe). I won't need to take the bike home as I don't need tax or MOT. And then if I ever get stopped here, I can just show the various types of different coppers my license, and cover note and I'm all good......?

2. Just ride the bike with my English plates......what's the worst can happen if they stop me? Confiscate the bike? Be my guest.....still cheaper than going through that long expensive process......?

Any thoughts on these rather drastic solutions?
The worst that can happen is a child runs out into the road and you hit it.

I would not like that to happen to anyone, even with all the papers in order and in their own country. God only knows what would happen in Italy.

In the UK I was stopped by the police for a spot check twice in 10 years, normally around X Mass. In Italy I get stopped at least twice a year and I have an Italian car.
Old May 15th 2012, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

You do need tax and MOT. If your vehicle is not road legal in EU country of origin then it is not road legal in any other EU country. If your driving licence is valid in EU country of origin then it is legal throughout the EU. If your insurance certificate has been issued by an EU insurance company (e.g. an Insurance Co. in UK) then it automatically must give 3rd. party cover throughout the EU for the entire period of its validity. A time limit can only be placed on the 'optionals' i.e. fire, theft and so on.
May I suggest you have a good read of
ec.europe.eu/internal_market/insurance/motor_en htm

and associated pages covering driving licences, importation of vehicles etc.

good luck.
'o nonno

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.