Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Help with moving companies?

Help with moving companies?

Old Apr 27th 2012, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

karnivale is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Help with moving companies?

Hello!

I'll be moving back to the Philippines after a year of stay in London. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good shipping companies to help me in moving? I don't have a lot of stuff to be honest: Just mostly clothes and what-not. The most important thing is my telly. There are also professional pots and pans that I would like to be able to take with me, and if possible, maybe take my large wooden desk

So far, I've been looking into LBC and Forex Cargo because of their balikbayan box promos. I reckon I'd be able to fit all the small things in 3-5 large boxes plus telly. If the table can come, that's great, but if it's more expensive to ship, then I'll just buy a new one over in Manila.

So, basically, what I'm asking is:
Does anyone have any experience in this sort of thing?
Any shipping companies that you would recommend for excellent service/budget/etc?

I'm a 22 year old Brit/Fil who isn't exactly hard wired for cash, so good deals are much appreciated.

Much thanks for any help!
Old Apr 28th 2012, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with moving companies?

You are in London so near to Farochilen Forwarders. They are excellent, we used them many times as did our friends. They advertised for years in "Pahayagan" and "The Filipino." They will do delivery and collection of the boxes, to a few miles outside of the M25.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry must add they are at 10, Hogarth Road. Earls Court. They also do air tickets to Philippines, and currency transfers.

The Philippines is NTSC so unless your TV is digital it will only work on Channel 23. However you may have PAL videos to watch. A very good Full Digital 29" with stand will cost around P14,000. Some digitals will convert but only in black and white.
TV's cost as little as P2,500 for a portable colour 14".

You can buy a Pinnacle for your computer, that will convert any format to any other, and can even watch TV programmes on your monitor. It costs P2,995 or less. There are other converters available, but I have not used them.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

jon howard is an unknown quantity at this point

i am intersted in a container to fill with furniture and household items and books
Old Jun 11th 2012, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jon howard
i am intersted in a container to fill with furniture and household items and books
Stick with the Blikbayan Boxes, they are far cheaper than containers. Also LBC and Asia Express will pack items separately that will not fit inside the box. Asia Express took exactly the 35 Days they quoted to ship my things from Dubai, and there was no damage at all!

Good advice on the Television too! - Also make sure that any electrical appliances can work at 230V 50 Hertz! The television should be OK but check. While most of the world uses 230V 60 Hertz, strange things can happen to Washing Machines, and Microwaves. I have to say that LG and Samsung have been superb in sorting out the problems.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

thankyou Jackthehat I really need a container as I will be moving all my furniture books kitchen ware I cant relly do it with boxes regards jon
Old Jun 12th 2012, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Farochilen do all the Balikbayan boxes plus special containers for larger items. This includes the special 7' x 7' x 7' boxes. Imagine a garage door cubed. They will do larger and smaller sizes.
However they do not like going outside the M25.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tropicofcancer
Farochilen do all the Balikbayan boxes plus special containers for larger items. This includes the special 7' x 7' x 7' boxes. Imagine a garage door cubed. They will do larger and smaller sizes.
However they do not like going outside the M25.
Has anyone told them that they will not fall off the edge of the World? - Perhaps they have seen that sign at Watford Gap saying "The North!"
Old Jun 13th 2012, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

They have a huge client base within the M25, because that is where most of the British Filipinos live. You know how the Filipinos love sending gifts to their families, at regular intervals. So they have a huge client base. They also do money remittances and air tickets, as previously mentioned.
I used to live within the M25 and along with other friends married to Filipinas used them a lot. I eventually moved out of the catchment area, and so when I moved here eleven years ago, and moved our belongings here. I used another freight company.
Many companies based in UK use other agents such as LBC to deliver to the provinces such as Cebu.
I used to attach an envelope on the boxes, clearly marked in red "to be opened by the delivery agent. Contains a map showing delivery location." They never opened them, as "it is expressly forbidden to do so." Hence calls to mobile or landline, for the location.
So if it is London to Manila/Quezon dead easy.
Incidentally, if you use one of the Jumbo containers, because of their size, they have to be packed at the shippers warehouse. Also if you are claiming VAT back, you must do so via the agents, before loading on board ship.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Hi Tropico thanks for your reply I really need imformation on shipping my entire household furniture etc by sea can you advise please regards Jon
Old Jun 16th 2012, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

A lot depends on your location. Farochilen will certainly do it for you if you live within the M25.
Allfreight based in Addlestone Surrey moved my entire house contents in 2001 to Cebu, it took just under five weeks because transfer to a Cebu based ship took place in Singapore.
All my household items fitted in a twenty-foot container.
They will come to your house and work out the size of container you need.
Insurance is extra full cover cost under £300 all risks.
Shipping was in the region of £3000.
Duty was payable in Cebu to the customs authorities. If you have a Filipina spouse or you have a 13A (spousal) visa. There are allowances to reduce the bill. You will have a negotiator on your behalf. They notify you when the container has arrived, and you visit their office.
The UK side of Allfreight is looked after by the owner's son. Whilst his father lives in Manila, and looks after things from that end.
With Farochilen, the wife lives in UK, and the husband in Manila.
So connections to both countries.

I have used both Farochilen when I lived in their catchment area. I used them many times for crates.
Allfreight I used after I moved out of the area to the South Coast. Small boxes and the big shipment.
I have never had cause for complaint with either.

All my items were carefully packed, and a full list of all items in each box was made. The boxes were taken by lorry to the depot to be packed into the shipping container. Good care was taken of everything.

If you need to claim VAT on new items, you must do so, before the container is on board ship.

Contact details for Farochilen are above.

Allfreight:
Unit 3, HAMM MOOR LANE, ADDLESTONE SURREY. KT15 2SD
Tel: 01932 853344
Fax: 01932 853377
E-Mail: [email protected]

I have no connection with either company, but have used both, as have my friends.

On delivery the container will be unloaded with an approved agent, ensuring that no contraband is present, such as a motor vehicle. They had a good laugh when I dived on the package containing my electric toaster. As at that time there were none here. Not so now. It was a real treat that night, to have some decent toast.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou Mr Tropicano good info but what is the duty payable in the Phillipines for your own household goods
Old Jun 17th 2012, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

It depends on value, so all being used items the duty will be low. Plus the fact that they are not for resale.
The agent in Philippines will advise you in this matter. He will be your negotiator. Remember the value of the used items would be lower in the UK obviously. If it is just general household stuff, duty will not be high. It works out at around 12% of the used value which will be low.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

piero is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i know this is old now but i have used Highlite Express 2 times without a problem . they are a Philippine company based in North London also in Manila for me never a problem and no duty to pay. Stick to a Philippine company and you should only pay once. Look for Highlite website
Old Aug 16th 2012, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

piero is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry its HIGHLIGHTS EXPRESS and web site still open