Closed Thread

Old Apr 21st 2012, 3:40 am   #1
cyber_drac Male
Just Joined

cyber_drac is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile cost of living per month sydney

Hi,
I am Sri Lankan, currently working in Boston - USA as a software engineer and I will be moving to Sydney in this August with a 175 PR visa. How much do i need to spend for Accommodation, Food, Internet and Public Transport per month? Rough estimate is more than enough.
Thanks.

Old Apr 21st 2012, 5:01 am   #2
Bermudashorts Female
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cost of living per month sydney

In a month you might spend $1,000 on accommodation or perhaps $8000! Have a look at www.domain.com.au to get an idea of prices for the type of rental you want. Internet maybe $100, public transport really depends where you live but maybe $100 - $250. Food depends on how much you eat and what you like to eat.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 7:33 am   #3
Beoz
BE Forum Addict

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber_drac View Post
Hi,
I am Sri Lankan, currently working in Boston - USA as a software engineer and I will be moving to Sydney in this August with a 175 PR visa. How much do i need to spend for Accommodation, Food, Internet and Public Transport per month? Rough estimate is more than enough.
Thanks.
In a place like Sydney that is a hard question to answer as BS suggested. BS suggested $100 per month on internet - I pay $40. Everyone will have different costs and the cost of essentials can vary wildly. To give you an indication what I pay - Accom-$3000 per month (and I could do a lot better yet I would be sacrificing my living standard) Food-$300, Public T-$25.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 9:20 am   #4
cyber_drac Male
Just Joined

Thanks! I know it is a very hard question to answer since cost of living very much change person to person. Since I am coming without my wife for the first visit, If I assume 3500 - 4000 USD per month as total expense per month, would that be realistic?
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:52 am   #5
bra_boy
Forum Regular

bra_boy is a name known to allbra_boy is a name known to allbra_boy is a name known to allbra_boy is a name known to allbra_boy is a name known to allbra_boy is a name known to allbra_boy is a name known to allbra_boy is a name known to allbra_boy is a name known to allbra_boy is a name known to allbra_boy is a name known to all

Eastern suburbs (accommodation dwarves all other costs)

Food: $60pw (western diet, shopping around).
Unfurnished apartment (say 1BR) $400pw. Room in flatshare $250pw
Internet: $10pw (TPG is OK).
Public transport: $50-80pw.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 3:00 am   #6
Beoz
BE Forum Addict

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks! I know it is a very hard question to answer since cost of living very much change person to person. Since I am coming without my wife for the first visit, If I assume 3500 - 4000 USD per month as total expense per month, would that be realistic?
You've just been given 3 varying opinions. You need to work it out from there. An exact answer will not be forthcoming.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 3:16 am   #7
cyber_drac Male
Just Joined

I agreed and thanks a lot!
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 4:41 am   #8
commonwealth
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

i can survive on $1000-2000 a month in sydney. single and low maintenance.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 6:12 am   #9
Bermudashorts Female
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonwealth View Post
i can survive on $1000-2000 a month in sydney. single and low maintenance.
Do you couch surf?
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 7:20 am   #10
Bikergirl Female
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl is a glorious beacon of lightBikergirl is a glorious beacon of lightBikergirl is a glorious beacon of lightBikergirl is a glorious beacon of lightBikergirl is a glorious beacon of lightBikergirl is a glorious beacon of lightBikergirl is a glorious beacon of lightBikergirl is a glorious beacon of lightBikergirl is a glorious beacon of lightBikergirl is a glorious beacon of lightBikergirl is a glorious beacon of light

Our monthly outgoings in Sydney are in the region of $5000 per month - rent/tv/phones/internet/weekly food shopping/lunchs/coffees/pet costs etc. That isn't scrimping on anything - eating out/takeouts on a regular basis, though we made the choice to live further inland to get the larger house/garden rather than getting a tiny place close to the beach. I am a 30minute train commute into the CBD (pay $500 every 3 months for a multi ticket), we dont pay fuel as husband gets a work fuel card, and out car payments are covered by his car allowance.

On that amount of spend - we save $2500+ each month as well. We could save at lot more if we really wanted to and watch the pennies a lot closer but we chose not too.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 7:51 am   #11
DhakaBoy Male
Forum Regular

DhakaBoy is a splendid one to beholdDhakaBoy is a splendid one to beholdDhakaBoy is a splendid one to beholdDhakaBoy is a splendid one to beholdDhakaBoy is a splendid one to beholdDhakaBoy is a splendid one to beholdDhakaBoy is a splendid one to beholdDhakaBoy is a splendid one to beholdDhakaBoy is a splendid one to beholdDhakaBoy is a splendid one to beholdDhakaBoy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Hi,
Thanks.
Hi cyber_drac. There is a large Sri Lankan community living in Sydney's Homebush area where you can easily rent, if you prefer, a 2-bed unit for around $400 per week or $1,733 per month. Electricity bill for 1 person should not be more than $100 per month. Average grocery should be around $500. For commute to CBD by train/bus and unlimited travel within metropolitan area, you can buy a quarterly MyMulti2 costing around $178 per month. If you drive, budget for around $350 per month, all running costs prorated. Internet, home phone and mobile package, if you buy all from the same provider such as TPG, should not cost more than $100 per month. Allocate around $30K for initial expenses (used car, basic furniture, white goods, utensils, bond etc etc) if you are coming without a job, but less if you have a job waiting. Eating out in half-decent places will cost you around $30 per meal, per person. If you are in a suit-boot-tie kind of job, keep around $70 per month for laundry. Hope it helps.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 8:20 am   #12
commonwealth
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermudashorts View Post
Do you couch surf?
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 8:28 am   #13
Bermudashorts Female
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonwealth View Post
Do you have a fixed abode?

Even somebody flatsharing surely needs more than $1k a month.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 8:30 am   #14
commonwealth
Daffyd Duck

it's a secret
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 12:56 pm   #15
cyber_drac Male
Just Joined

I must say thank you to all of you. Every single comment is very valuable for me to plan my journey to Sydney,Australia.
Closed Thread

Subscribe to this Thread