Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How Eco-friendly is Canada?

How Eco-friendly is Canada?

Old Apr 19th 2012, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute
Default How Eco-friendly is Canada?

Can you easily get hold of environmentally friendly laundry detergents, shampoo & showergel, household cleaning products etc? If so, are things much more expensive that your regular Persil type of stuff, or just a little more expensive?

Are there areas in Canada, like in USA, where people are prohibited from drying their laundry outside IN THEIR OWN BACK GARDENS? I was horrified when a friend over there told me that most community associations in her area banned that, and you had to tumble dry everything all year round. I know NZ is quite unique in that people will stick their laundry out wherever it is sunniest, even if it is in their front garden in full view of everyone, but I have come to enjoy the financial savings of owning a washing line since living here.

I'm assuming nothings changed since I last visited a number of years ago, and there are still many oversized large engined vehicles on the roads? I think only overpopulated countries with expensive petrol such as Europe, Japan etc have really embraced the nippy small engined cars culture.

And what about rubbish recycling. Are there generally separate collections for paper/cardboard, glass and plastics? If not, are there recycling places to take those items to?

Lastly, what about solar hot water, Solar PV panels, wind turbines etc? Are these commonly used at all in new built homes or semi-rural areas?
Old Apr 19th 2012, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Eco-friendly is Canada?

for the drying clothes outside - lots of places do have bylaws that prohibit drying clothes outside. It is the norm to tumble dry year round and the dryers seem to shrink everything since they seem to be more high powered than the Uk ones i've used.

Some places also prohibit fires in the back yard unless they are for cooking (i.e. bbq). Often people will have a pack of sausages next to their firepit just incase there is a complaint.

smaller/efficient cars are becoming more common in the GTA along with the complaints about ever rising fuel costs though i think many will stick to oversized large engined vehicles

everywhere I have been (ontario) does separate collections for recycling although each town has a different system

I have seen wind turbines and solar panels about but not sure about the specifics.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 10:03 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

in some places in NS you are not allowed to have a clothes line, but where we are and most are, its fine. I have seen environmentally friendly products,they seem a little more expensive. There are more choices here for chemical free products for personal use, I am funny about that - no parabens etc. If you go into a decent Superstore theres loads of choice - Burts Bees, Jason, Dr Bronners etc

They also are a little more expensive...

You can get economical cars, not sure about trucks, I dont think they exist. The VW Jetta TDi seems popular, along with the Mazda 3 with skyactiv technology, there are also fiestas and small chevs like the Aveo and now the Sonic. We are looking for a new car, around the 5.0L/100km range. They most definately exist

They are good about rubbish recycling, you have to have different bags for everything. And you get money back on recycling some items like bottles.

Some people heat their pools with solar power, I have seen various grids to pick up the energy. We heat with wood, its the most cost efficient form for us
Old Apr 19th 2012, 10:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Tar sands, anyone? Also Toronto ships its rubbish to Michigan for burial, that's not outstandingly eco-friendly. So, a bit of a mixed result, can't really compare with NZ.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Tar sands, anyone? Also Toronto ships its rubbish to Michigan for burial, that's not outstandingly eco-friendly. So, a bit of a mixed result, can't really compare with NZ.
The tar sands are employing a few ex pats who came over here so Im guessing they are not worried about eco friendly
We also accept some of the US garbage (rubbish) as its big business between the 2 countries and employs people.
Most major cities have recycling programmes and they vary.
We tend to ship our old computers, monitors etc (e waste) to Asian countries (which in some cases is illegal buy we dont tell the receiving country that) as that is big business as well.
I recycle so Im doing my little bit as for the laundry detergent ah whatever is on sale I guess.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 11:53 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

On the macro level Canada is about as eco-unfriendly as you can get - Tar sands, withdrawing from Kyoto, being part of the North American "ain't no substitoot for cubes" (cubic inches, capacity) when it comes to vehicles. Although to be fair, part of the problem with cars is that the Canadian market is so small in comparison with the US that few vehicles are developed exclusively for here, we generally just get whatever the US builds and sells. It is a petro and resource economy with all that that entails.

On the micro level, yes you can buy eco-friendly products, yes you can recycle and yes you can hang your washing out - in some areas. As with all things, it's a big country and things vary from place to place.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 12:04 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
Can you easily get hold of environmentally friendly laundry detergents, shampoo & showergel, household cleaning products etc? If so, are things much more expensive that your regular Persil type of stuff, or just a little more expensive?

Are there areas in Canada, like in USA, where people are prohibited from drying their laundry outside IN THEIR OWN BACK GARDENS? I was horrified when a friend over there told me that most community associations in her area banned that, and you had to tumble dry everything all year round. I know NZ is quite unique in that people will stick their laundry out wherever it is sunniest, even if it is in their front garden in full view of everyone, but I have come to enjoy the financial savings of owning a washing line since living here. We hang out washing when we can, as does our neighbour. Not many other people seem to, though.

I'm assuming nothings changed since I last visited a number of years ago, and there are still many oversized large engined vehicles on the roads? I think only overpopulated countries with expensive petrol such as Europe, Japan etc have really embraced the nippy small engined cars culture. Smaller cars are becoming much more popular.

And what about rubbish recycling. Are there generally separate collections for paper/cardboard, glass and plastics? If not, are there recycling places to take those items to? Beer bottles, cans and plastic bottle have deposits and go back to the store. We we live there is no longer a need to separate the recycling. We have a large blue wheelie bin and everything that can be recycled goes in there (collected every two weeks). Food waste goes in a brown bin (weekly collection) and yard waste goes in paper sacks (weekly). They even take away tree stumps. Regular garbage is collected every two weeks. Our bin these days is rarely full and most of what is in there is cat shit. Many stores have places where you can drop off things like paint, dead batteries, used electronics etc. Large items such as fridges are just left at the bottom of the driveway for the scavengers. They always get picked up quickly. The difficult stuff to get rid of is construction waste, such as drywall and insulation. That needs to be broken up and hidden in sacks.

Lastly, what about solar hot water, Solar PV panels, wind turbines etc? Are these commonly used at all in new built homes or semi-rural areas?
Old Apr 19th 2012, 12:21 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
On the macro level Canada is about as eco-unfriendly as you can get - Tar sands, withdrawing from Kyoto, being part of the North American "ain't no substitoot for cubes" (cubic inches, capacity) when it comes to vehicles. Although to be fair, part of the problem with cars is that the Canadian market is so small in comparison with the US that few vehicles are developed exclusively for here, we generally just get whatever the US builds and sells. It is a petro and resource economy with all that that entails.

On the micro level, yes you can buy eco-friendly products, yes you can recycle and yes you can hang your washing out - in some areas. As with all things, it's a big country and things vary from place to place.
On a macro level, the oilsands/tarsands industry contributes only a small part of Canada's overall greenhouse gas emissions. The worst offender is the transportation sector, look at this link to see the contributors to Canada's pretty appalling GHG statistics.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

bigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nice

I do think the hot air spewed on a daily basis here by the gov is causing most of the global warming
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigals
I do think the hot air spewed on a daily basis here by the gov is causing most of the global warming
The Govt are on BE well I never. They are not spying on us are they?
Global warming controversy

The global warming controversy refers to a variety of disputes, significantly more pronounced in the popular media than in the scientific literature,[140][141] regarding the nature, causes, and consequences of global warming. The disputed issues include the causes of increased global average air temperature, especially since the mid-20th century, whether this warming trend is unprecedented or within normal climatic variations, whether humankind has contributed significantly to it, and whether the increase is wholly or partially an artifact of poor measurements. Additional disputes concern estimates of climate sensitivity, predictions of additional warming, and what the consequences of global warming will be.

In the scientific literature, there is a strong consensus that global surface temperatures have increased in recent decades and that the trend is caused mainly by human-induced emissions of greenhouse gases. No scientific body of national or international standing disagrees with this view,[142][143] though a few organisations hold non-committal positions.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

bigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nice

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The Govt are on BE well I never. They are not spying on us are they?
Global warming controversy

The global warming controversy refers to a variety of disputes, significantly more pronounced in the popular media than in the scientific literature,[140][141] regarding the nature, causes, and consequences of global warming. The disputed issues include the causes of increased global average air temperature, especially since the mid-20th century, whether this warming trend is unprecedented or within normal climatic variations, whether humankind has contributed significantly to it, and whether the increase is wholly or partially an artifact of poor measurements. Additional disputes concern estimates of climate sensitivity, predictions of additional warming, and what the consequences of global warming will be.

In the scientific literature, there is a strong consensus that global surface temperatures have increased in recent decades and that the trend is caused mainly by human-induced emissions of greenhouse gases. No scientific body of national or international standing disagrees with this view,[142][143] though a few organisations hold non-committal positions.
I meant here as in here in Canada
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Canada is not what I would define as eco-friendly either on a macro or micro basis. As with most things, it depends upon the individual and, while some do, most in Canada don't really care. Spending 5 minutes standing by any form of drive thru (coffee, junk food, ATM, etc.) will confirm this.

Of course, Canadians will deny this completely
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:35 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Canada has a veneer of eco friendlyness, but its very thin. Scratch the surface and basically not enough people care to make a difference Im afraid.

We recycle, there are solar and wind power generations and lots of Hydro and nuclear power, but that is largely obliterated by personal consumption and government indifference, and a scarily large part of the populations still doesn't trust or believe the science behind global warming.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 19th 2012 at 1:38 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There again if the unwashed didnt use transit or transit companies packing in their customers like cattle then some might use transit as an alternative.
There again waiting for a bus in minus 30 temps that may or may not show up also has some bearing on the decision not to take transit
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:39 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

The washing line thing.. well a lot of places do ban it, however is was a topic on the local news a couple of years back and the lawyers on the program basically stated that although many would follow the bylaw, and some council may issue a summons if you break it, if you push it to court it would in the currently climate be unlikely that anybody would be fined or punished for putting washing out, and if you were smart enough to make sure the media knew then you could kick off a nice little piece of local news, one local green politicians would be all over like a bad rash..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.