Laser Eye Surgery

Old Jan 29th 2012, 5:04 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Laser Eye Surgery

I'm all booked into the clinic to have laser surgery in London when I go back home for a month in March and I'm discovering that many people need reading glasses when its done.

I'm thinking what's the point replacing shortsightedness with longsightedness?

Does anyone have experience of this? I'm -6 myopic in both eyes.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery

I had laser surgery in 2008 in Parsons Green, shortly after I moved back to UK from Bermuda.

I was also very shortsighted, about -6 and -7 and long sightedness was not something that I could comprehend even. i.e. the idea of having to move something away from me to read it better was alien to me, who had worn glasses since age 7.

It is about 3-3.5 years since I had my laser surgery and I am 41 a bit older than you. I am not long sighted yet, but I do think that I will be in due course and maybe in the next five or ten years I will need to get reading glasses. I have moments when I push something away from me in order to read it better and can definitely tell that things are going this way.

But if I have to get reading glasses in the future, I would consider it a small price to pay for the benefits I have now in not being short sighted any more.

Going ahead with laser surgery is categorically the best decision I have ever made.

I have posted it before but I will again, here is an online review of my process.

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/health-thera...rgery/1124984/
Old Jan 29th 2012, 5:51 am

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I had laser surgery in 2008 in Parsons Green, shortly after I moved back to UK from Bermuda.

I was also very shortsighted, about -6 and -7 and long sightedness was not something that I could comprehend even. i.e. the idea of having to move something away from me to read it better was alien to me, who had worn glasses since age 7.

It is about 3-3.5 years since I had my laser surgery and I am 41 a bit older than you. I am not long sighted yet, but I do think that I will be in due course and maybe in the next five or ten years I will need to get reading glasses. I have moments when I push something away from me in order to read it better and can definitely tell that things are going this way.

But if I have to get reading glasses in the future, I would consider it a small price to pay for the benefits I have now in not being short sighted any more.

Going ahead with laser surgery is categorically the best decision I have ever made.

I have posted it before but I will again, here is an online review of my process.

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/health-thera...rgery/1124984/
That doesn't sound too bad. I was concerned I'd need glasses immediately for reading and close computer work - which I can actually get away with without at the moment at a push. They quoted me about 7k for both eyes in central London - I don't think I can be bothered to shop around as I won't have time as you need to leave a week prior to flying apparently.

It would be marvellous to see. I'm just getting last minute nerves and worries I guess.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
That doesn't sound too bad. I was concerned I'd need glasses immediately for reading and close computer work - which I can actually get away with without at the moment at a push. They quoted me about 7k for both eyes in central London - I don't think I can be bothered to shop around as I won't have time as you need to leave a week prior to flying apparently.

It would be marvellous to see. I'm just getting last minute nerves and worries I guess.
That does seem like quite a high quote but if you are comfortable with it then that is all that matters, clearly you don't really have time to shop around. (I would recommend the company that I mentioned in my review however).

I spend a lot of my working life gazing at the computer and I enjoy reading too but no sign of any reading glasses so far. On the other hand we don't have to faff around with prescription sunglasses or normal sunglasses and lenses and when we flew to US at christmas we didn't need to worry about a safe place to put glasses or lenses whilst we sleep.

It is natural to worry though, we worried, Mr BS bravely sending me for treatment first . I still cannot even find the words to express how much laser surgery changed my life for the better.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

I'm all booked into the clinic to have laser surgery in London when I go back home for a month in March and I'm discovering that many people need reading glasses when its done.

I had it done back in 2008 when I was 33 I was told by the eye surgeon that I would need reading glasses in my 40's because the muscles deteriorate in the eye and that's what causes long sightedness.

I went to an expensive clinic in Sydney (and had one of the most experienced eye surgeon in Australia) and had a few people tell me I was being ripped off but I figured that you only get one set of eyes so bargain hunting was not high on my list of things to do as there is no point in saving a few dollars and ending up blind.

My experience was that I had the operation and the results were excellent just better than 20/20 in both eyes although the healing process takes a few months to get to that level I could see very well the morning after the operation. The worst thing about it was having the anasthetic drops put in my eyes because they sting for a few seconds but that's it.

I have not regretted doing it it was the best decision I've made and it changed my life for the better.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 7:53 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone will require reading glasses at some point in their lives as a result of loss of accomodation. Usually in normal eyes at around age 45-50. If you're 30 years old and corrected to 6/6 you shouldn't need readers for a good few years.

Lucky me, I'm farsighted (hyperopic) and wear a +5.5 in my right eye and +4.5 in my left for distance. I've been wearing readers since my mid 30's.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:49 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Had it done in 1995 - or at least PRK, pre-Lasik days - and was then early 30s. Did without reading specs until I was about 47.

Do it. It's life changing, and I think you are sporty so even more so for you.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

My husband had the surgery two years ago and he loves it and being without glasses. He was told that in about 20 years he would need glasses again. Also, is it advisable to have it done whilst on holiday? My husband needed several tweaks to his eyes and that is fairly normal but he had to wait numerous months to the eyes to stabilise between tweaks.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I had mine done in 2003 here by the head surgeon. Couldn't recommend him enough.
http://www.lasik-eyes.co.uk/featured...for-sight.aspx

I had bad myopia and astigmatism and already needed reading glasses, either on top of contacts or multifocals Cost a fortune.

The op was expensive but worth it 100 times over. Not only have I since saved a fortune on complicated prescriptions I can see better than at any other time in my life. I don't need reading glasses in bright light but I need about +1.5 in some artificial light. I can either get them from the optometrist (free with health fund) or by off the shelf ones for about $25 and treat as disposable.

Go to a hospital rather than a commercial chain and make sure you meet and get examined by your surgeon before the op. (In some places someone else does the prelim and the surgeon turns up and hasn't met you before).
Old Jan 30th 2012, 11:24 pm

I can't seem to find any agreement on how soon you can scuba dive afterwards?

Similarly with flying - when do you think I could fly back to Oz after the op?
Old Jan 30th 2012, 11:47 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is getting it done in two weeks' time. She can't wait. She hasn't been able to do it for years, even though we could afford for her to get it done, due to her breast-feeding, which apparently affects your eyes (somehow). But she's now had the test and ready to go.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
My wife is getting it done in two weeks' time. She can't wait. She hasn't been able to do it for years, even though we could afford for her to get it done, due to her breast-feeding, which apparently affects your eyes (somehow). But she's now had the test and ready to go.
Can I ask how much she's paying in Brisbane? What's her prescription?
Old Jan 31st 2012, 12:10 am
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

I can't seem to find any agreement on how soon you can scuba dive afterwards?

Similarly with flying - when do you think I could fly back to Oz after the op?
About 3 months after, my son had it done in September and was told to leave diving until his eyes had completely healed.

Best thing he ever did, he's 18 now and had worn glasses since he was 10. Good luck, it really has changed his life
Old Jan 31st 2012, 12:14 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I've known people fly off to have their eyes done somewhere cheaper so would think flying not a problem. Wouldn't recommend it myself, however - like to know if something goes wrong I could just pop down the road for a check-up. (And the one that had it done in BKK did have complications.)
Old Jan 31st 2012, 12:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I had Lasik surgery 12 years ago to correct slight myopia and astigmatism. Can't remember the numbers but my astigmatism was severe. Best $6K (US) I have every spent. There was no pain and I could see clearer almost straight away. I went home...went to bed for a few hours...when I got up I had 20/20 vision.

I know there are plenty of low cost laser procedures available...my advice would be to go with the very best eye doctor you can find.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.