Reload this Page >

Considering a job in dubai

Considering a job in dubai

Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Michaeldaviez is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Considering a job in dubai

Hi Guys,

I'm currently considering a marketing job in Dubai. I've done a bit of research and weighed up everything but I'm looking for a bit of advice. (feel free to direct me to other threads, the search engine here isn't exactly great)

I'm young (28) and will be on around 190,000 AED /PA is that a good salary to live a comfortable lifestyle?

I'm living in London and my salary isnt great, everything i do/buy is always "on the blag" so i guess i'm looking for a bit of an improvement and from what i have seen Dubai can offer that.

Also being a 28yr guy in dubai will it be all work and no play or is there still a good time to be had ?

Appreciate all help/advice.

Regards,

Michael
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering a job in dubai

Originally Posted by Michaeldaviez
Hi Guys,

I'm currently considering a marketing job in Dubai. I've done a bit of research and weighed up everything but I'm looking for a bit of advice. (feel free to direct me to other threads, the search engine here isn't exactly great)

I'm young (28) and will be on around 190,000 AED /PA is that a good salary to live a comfortable lifestyle?

I'm living in London and my salary isnt great, everything i do/buy is always "on the blag" so i guess i'm looking for a bit of an improvement and from what i have seen Dubai can offer that.

Also being a 28yr guy in dubai will it be all work and no play or is there still a good time to be had ?

Regards,

Michael
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...alary+in+dubai

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...y+dubai+living

You may want to do a bit more research if you have to ask the question
"Also being a 28yr guy in dubai will it be all work and no play or is there still a good time to be had "
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, they were useful links.

maybe i should ask. "what is there to do for a 28yr single west country lad in dubai?"
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

That's an ok salary, I'm presuming its your total and all allowances (accommodation, travel etc) are included in it. If you look to rent a decent one bed apartment in somewhere like the Marina it'll probably be 60-70,000AED/yr. By the time you rack up the other normally living expenses (car, mobile, tv/internet, food etc), you should have a bit left to play with or save - doing both properly might be a struggle.

There's no fears on that front, on the whole whatever you like to do you'll be able to find here - sport, restaurants, bars, clubs - there's pretty much something to suit most tastes. Despite what people think not everyone pounces about with their head up their own arse (but there is an awful lot of that!).
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, they were useful links.

maybe i should ask. "what is there to do for a 28yr single west country lad in dubai?"
Where in the West Country? I lived in Cornwall for many years :-)

You may also want to look on www.dubizzle.com..it may be better to share an apartment to start with..you pay monthly and that will give you a chance to find your way around.
I would definately look at the Marina area..avoid JBR ( very noisy) or look at downtown area.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Good shout, sounds like a good start.

I'm from bristol and now living in London.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

If you can get a reasonable cheap flat you will have some money to play with and you will find that life in Dubai can be very enjoyable, but it is a culture shock. Especially try to avoid arriving in the Summer, it can be more of a shock then. Otherwise the salary you mention is very good, I was earning that amount but I had company accomodation, in Barsha. If you are careful with your playing you should be okay while in Dubai.

Don't limit yourself to JBR Marina and these western areas, Bur Dubai and near Oud Metha are also very nice areas to live in. Avoid Deira, International City, Karama, Qusais, Satwa and Discovery Gardens...

Last edited by Debowing; Jan 12th 2012 at 6:34 am.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 6:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Hi Guys,

Regards,

Michael
What will you do / do you do for a living?

190,000 is 15,000ish a month.

5,000 rent (payable up front or over a few cheques depending)
1,000 bills- DEWA, TV, Internet, District Cooling if applicable
1,500ish Car
1,500 shit - I spend at least 1,500 on shit every month, magazines, fags, coffees, etc.

That makes 8,500 so call it 9,000

You'd have just over 6,000 a month to live on roughly. That's about £1,000 for food, beer and hookers.

You won't save anything being realistic but you'll live.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Originally Posted by Scamp

1,500ish Car
1,500 shit - I spend at least 1,500 on shit every month, magazines, fags, coffees, etc.

You'd have just over 6,000 a month to live on roughly. That's about £1,000 for food, beer and hookers.

As you can see from this nice breakdown of costs, it is better to attack the rent issue, so I take back my earlier advices on Qusais and Satwa...Actually try Al Nahda area....there it is quite cheap, and you can get a wonderful view of Al Sharjah, but don't ever go THERE to live.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 7:42 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

1,500ish Car

Need I say more?

Considering a job in dubai-img_0621.jpg
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Nice!

So basically i should be trying for a bigger basic salary and finding a shared flat to save costs.

I looked on http://dubai.dubizzle.com/ and the shared accom looked dodgy at best. Is this a true reflection of the shared flat market out there or are there 'normal' people looking to share.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice!

So basically i should be trying for a bigger basic salary and finding a shared flat to save costs.

I looked on http://dubai.dubizzle.com/ and the shared accom looked dodgy at best. Is this a true reflection of the shared flat market out there or are there 'normal' people looking to share.
Maybe take a place for a month ..there are lots of hotel/apartments in Al Barsha that rent monthly, then you can ask around, also look at notices in supermarkets. There are lots of western expats looking for people to share aparments with.
I also think you need to ask for a bit more money. It is expensive to set up here and the one thing you don't want to do is get bank loans etc.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks,

They have offered me a place in a hotel/apartment for a month to find a place. Thats more than enough time to find a decent place i'm sure.

So basically running costs out there are ~10,000 AED per month.
(if i ask for around 18-19k i should be okay right)

The place to live if your a brit is the marina

The streets are not paved with gold
Old Jan 13th 2012, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks,

They have offered me a place in a hotel/apartment for a month to find a place. Thats more than enough time to find a decent place i'm sure.

So basically running costs out there are ~10,000 AED per month.
(if i ask for around 18-19k i should be okay right)

The place to live if your a brit is the marina

The streets are not paved with gold
There you go..you got it!
there are other places besides the Marina, it will also depend where you work.Do you know which area? If you are living and working near the metro it would save you a lot of money. You wouldn't need to buy a car straight away.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Debowing
...Otherwise the salary you mention is very good,...
Dhs 16K per month is not a very good salary. Dubai is an expensive city to live in if you plan to enjoy your stay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.