Closed Thread

Old Dec 2nd 2011, 3:00 pm   #1
rafikiphoto Male
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice
Default Internet tv streaming set-top box?

I sometimes connect my laptop to the TV via an hdmi cable and watch programmes streamed over the internet. I connect to a UK proxy and get BBC, ITV, Channel 4 etc. OK. It occurred to me that this system could be simplified if there was a wi-fi set-top box to take the place of the laptop. Is there such a box? If so which can be recommended?

Old Dec 2nd 2011, 4:10 pm   #2
The Guy
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet tv streaming set-top box?

Yes in theory it can be done.

The issue is getting around the geoblocking.

The proxy you are using is done voa the laptop, not the router.
So if you find a decent IPTV settopbox that allows you to input the same proxy details as your pc / laptop, then it should in theory work.
Like Us on Facebook for the latest UK TV News ***
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 4:20 pm   #3
amideislas Female
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafikiphoto View Post
I sometimes connect my laptop to the TV via an hdmi cable and watch programmes streamed over the internet. I connect to a UK proxy and get BBC, ITV, Channel 4 etc. OK. It occurred to me that this system could be simplified if there was a wi-fi set-top box to take the place of the laptop. Is there such a box? If so which can be recommended?
We've been loking for such a thing, too. It seems the best we can find is AppleTV - any it's pretty good, and just a tiny little box.

Not only internet TV (mostly through iTunes, but you can get almost any movies for €3 or less). But it also has some fun features like playing slide shows of your holiday photos, playing videos and photos from your iPhone, and music, and of course web surfing.

Just get a UK iTunes account, and you can get the English and US movies. I don't know if you can get BBC and ITV and all that - but I suppose you can.

- about €120 from many places.

http://www.apple.com/appletv/
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 5:52 am   #4
Saxy Male
BE Enthusiast

Saxy has a reputation beyond reputeSaxy has a reputation beyond reputeSaxy has a reputation beyond reputeSaxy has a reputation beyond reputeSaxy has a reputation beyond reputeSaxy has a reputation beyond reputeSaxy has a reputation beyond reputeSaxy has a reputation beyond reputeSaxy has a reputation beyond reputeSaxy has a reputation beyond reputeSaxy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would recommend getting a desktop computer, connect it to your tv and use a program like Eltel or FilmOn for all of your viewing. You will then have all of the main UK channels (no proxy required), you can use your tv as your computer monitor and if you have a wireless router, work on your laptop in another room.
You can try Eltel or FilmOn (both no contract, monthly payments only) on your existing set up and see if it is for you.
See also the post - "Hide ip address for Humax Foxsatiplayer service" by cat6 on the 14th November.

P.S. You could also change to another telephone company like Europa Network and use their excellent tv system.

John.

Last edited by Saxy : Dec 3rd 2011 at 5:56 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 5:57 am   #5
GrapeEater Male
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater is a splendid one to beholdGrapeEater is a splendid one to beholdGrapeEater is a splendid one to beholdGrapeEater is a splendid one to beholdGrapeEater is a splendid one to beholdGrapeEater is a splendid one to beholdGrapeEater is a splendid one to beholdGrapeEater is a splendid one to beholdGrapeEater is a splendid one to beholdGrapeEater is a splendid one to beholdGrapeEater is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
We've been loking for such a thing, too. It seems the best we can find is AppleTV - any it's pretty good, and just a tiny little box.

Not only internet TV (mostly through iTunes, but you can get almost any movies for €3 or less). But it also has some fun features like playing slide shows of your holiday photos, playing videos and photos from your iPhone, and music, and of course web surfing.

Just get a UK iTunes account, and you can get the English and US movies. I don't know if you can get BBC and ITV and all that - but I suppose you can.

- about €120 from many places.

http://www.apple.com/appletv/
Too technical for me!! But there is someone here who has some form of Private Network setup with his son in UK who relays Brit TV & FIlms via a new VirginMedia Tivo system (albeit recorded programmes). Sounds very clever but I have no idea if it's any good or how it works (so don't ask) - I guess you'd need a fast broadband connection.

I remember reading about a 'SlingBox' device that streamed media via wireless network - I just Googled and this is it - is this what you mean?
> http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox

And that led me to search on "IPTV" - loads of options but as someone said do they get around the Spanish IP Address ??

In another recent thread someone mentioned FilmOn for the iPhone - my wife tried it and it works a treat at the moment but the iPhone/HD cable is about £35 (we haven't tried that yet). She gets the UK terrestial channels no problems... no good for Footy though!!
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 6:07 am   #6
Saxy Male
BE Enthusiast

Saxy has a reputation beyond reputeSaxy has a reputation beyond reputeSaxy has a reputation beyond reputeSaxy has a reputation beyond reputeSaxy has a reputation beyond reputeSaxy has a reputation beyond reputeSaxy has a reputation beyond reputeSaxy has a reputation beyond reputeSaxy has a reputation beyond reputeSaxy has a reputation beyond reputeSaxy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeEater View Post
Too technical for me!! But there is someone here who has some form of Private Network setup with his son in UK who relays Brit TV & FIlms via a new VirginMedia Tivo system (albeit recorded programmes). Sounds very clever but I have no idea if it's any good or how it works (so don't ask) - I guess you'd need a fast broadband connection.

I remember reading about a 'SlingBox' device that streamed media via wireless network - I just Googled and this is it - is this what you mean?
> http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox

And that led me to search on "IPTV" - loads of options but as someone said do they get around the Spanish IP Address ??

In another recent thread someone mentioned FilmOn for the - my wife tried it and it works a treat at the moment but the iPhone/HD cable is about £35 (we haven't tried that yet). She gets the UK terrestial channels no problems... no good for Footy though!!
Hi GrapeEater,
You are not too far from me, so if your down this way (Bonalba Golf), why don't you pop in and see how good/easy internet tv can be!

John.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 6:21 am   #7
rafikiphoto Male
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeEater View Post
Thanks to everyone for the input so far. Lots for me to consider.

Yes, something like the Slingbox is what I was thinking about but with the facility to input a proxy server address and I'm wondering if that exists yet. My searches haven't found one so far.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 6:26 am   #8
GrapeEater Male
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater is a splendid one to beholdGrapeEater is a splendid one to beholdGrapeEater is a splendid one to beholdGrapeEater is a splendid one to beholdGrapeEater is a splendid one to beholdGrapeEater is a splendid one to beholdGrapeEater is a splendid one to beholdGrapeEater is a splendid one to beholdGrapeEater is a splendid one to beholdGrapeEater is a splendid one to beholdGrapeEater is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxy View Post
Hi GrapeEater,
You are not too far from me, so if your down this way (Bonalba Golf), why don't you pop in and see how good/easy internet tv can be!

John.
Nice invite. Maybe an hour from us though and we rarely go past Alicante - could you PM me with details first please - interested to know. Maybe others on here would like to know too.... we have no room for the usual 2.4 Sat dish required where I live and my wife likes to watch the usual UK Celeb stuff / soaps now and again ... I miss the wildlife stuff and comedy.

Thanks ?
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 8:13 am   #9
searcher48 Female
Forum Regular

searcher48 is a name known to allsearcher48 is a name known to allsearcher48 is a name known to allsearcher48 is a name known to allsearcher48 is a name known to allsearcher48 is a name known to allsearcher48 is a name known to allsearcher48 is a name known to allsearcher48 is a name known to allsearcher48 is a name known to allsearcher48 is a name known to all

This has been discussed on facebook group "sell your stuff spain" and there is a guy selling boxee near Murcia and he says you can change IP on it.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 8:28 am   #10
tim1963
Forum Regular

tim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant future

No need for a proxy if you're using a slingbox. Your slingbox plugs into your tv/receiver/internet connection in the uk (or whereever) and you watch it on a pc anywhere you want.

Yes, something like the Slingbox is what I was thinking about but with the facility to input a proxy server address and I'm wondering if that exists yet. My searches haven't found one so far.[/quote]
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 9:40 am   #11
rafikiphoto Male
BE Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher48 View Post
This has been discussed on facebook group "sell your stuff spain" and there is a guy selling boxee near Murcia and he says you can change IP on it.
Thanks. Not into Facebook I'm afraid. Is there a link on there that would lead me to a web page I could have a look at?
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 9:45 am   #12
rafikiphoto Male
BE Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1963 View Post
No need for a proxy if you're using a slingbox. Your slingbox plugs into your tv/receiver/internet connection in the uk (or whereever) and you watch it on a pc anywhere you want.
Thanks. We live in Spain. So wouldn't connecting a Slingbox to our Spanish internet IP address still be rejected by iPlayer etc.?
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 9:53 am   #13
The Guy

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks. We live in Spain. So wouldn't connecting a Slingbox to our Spanish internet IP address still be rejected by iPlayer etc.?
No.
Because the Sling unit in the UK will be connecting to a "tv unit / sky box / freesat box/ freeview box" from the UK.

One or two things to consider with slings:
They do need a good steady upload speed...otherwise they will buffer...seen 0.5meg been required for good service. obviously this iwll also be affcted should anyone else be using the net connection in either location at the same time.
It may not be the best solution if you are on a "fair useage policy" contract - that limits the upload and download quotes
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 9:58 am   #14
rafikiphoto Male
BE Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
No.
Because the Sling unit in the UK will be connecting to a "tv unit / sky box / freesat box/ freeview box" from the UK.

One or two things to consider with slings:
They do need a good steady upload speed...otherwise they will buffer...seen 0.5meg been required for good service. obviously this iwll also be affcted should anyone else be using the net connection in either location at the same time.
It may not be the best solution if you are on a "fair useage policy" contract - that limits the upload and download quotes
Sorry if I'm being dense here but I don't have a place or internet account in UK to connect to; or by 'Sling unit' do you mean a Sling server in UK?
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 10:09 am   #15
The Guy

Correct. If you dont have someone in the uk who can host your sling for you, then you will need to find a uk sling hosting server.
Closed Thread

Subscribe to this Thread