ESTA declined

Old Oct 16th 2011, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

jennio will become famous soon enough
Default ESTA declined

I am really hoping someone can help me!

I worked this summer in America on a J1 visa - on a summer camp. Before I went, I didn't really understand the whole ESTA process and applied for an ESTA - obviously it was declined because I answered the question "do you plan on working..." with yes. It became irrelevant anyway because I had a visa.

When I landed at JFK in June I had to go through to secondary customs - that is I got taken into a room at the back. No-one told me why, it just took a little longer to process. I got handed my passport and went off to work! I didn't overstay or anything.

My parents surprised me with a trip back to the States for next week and I suddenly remembered my ESTA - they only booked the flights last week anyway. I tried to apply last night and got declined - obviously this has sent me into turmoil!

My question is who can I contact to sort out my ESTA?? I have trawled through the visa pages on the US embassy site and it seems highly unlikely I would get one processed between now and then (is this correct) - please can someone help me!

Old Oct 16th 2011, 5:31 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA declined

Originally Posted by jennio
My parents surprised me with a trip back to the States for next week and I suddenly remembered my ESTA - they only booked the flights last week anyway. I tried to apply last night and got declined - obviously this has sent me into turmoil!

My question is who can I contact to sort out my ESTA?? I have trawled through the visa pages on the US embassy site and it seems highly unlikely I would get one processed between now and then (is this correct) - please can someone help me!

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/list
Old Oct 16th 2011, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

I already did that!!! I didn't get any response.

Is it true you can't get onto a plane in the UK without an ESTA?

I know if I get to America it can be sorted. I am so gutted!
Old Oct 16th 2011, 5:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So you tried to get a new ESTA approval, this time saying you won't be working, and it got declined?

What makes you think your ESTA denial can be sorted out from within the USA?

I believe that is true, you cannot get on the plane without either an approved ESTA, or a visa.

Rene
Old Oct 16th 2011, 5:47 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Youu cannot then fly .. you will need to aply for a B-2 ...see the US consulate site
Old Oct 16th 2011, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

What do you think my chances are of getting a visa between now and next Wed 26th October?
Old Oct 16th 2011, 5:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

What do you think my chances are of getting a visa between now and next Wed 26th October?
Slim. Might take longer than that to even get an appointment at the consulate.

Rene
Old Oct 16th 2011, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

I know that there are emergency appointments available.....is it worth my trying for one of those?
Old Oct 16th 2011, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Or shall I get an emergency appointment for a new passport????? Will a new number make a difference?
Old Oct 16th 2011, 6:21 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Or shall I get an emergency appointment for a new passport????? Will a new number make a difference?
You're not going on this trip....and the way you're heading, you won't be going on future ones.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I know that there are emergency appointments available.....is it worth my trying for one of those?
This isn't (from their point of view, at least) an "emergency".

Don't do that - it won't make a difference and could make it look as if you were trying to "cheat" the system (which, in fact, is what you would be trying to do).

My advice would be to abandon the idea of traveling to the US in the immediate future are try reapplying for ESTA in 6 to 12 months.

Applying for a B visa and being denied won't help and, while the US embassy might be sympathetic to your reasons for applying for one it isn't at all clear that they would actually issue one. From their perspective you don't "need" a visa because you are eligible to use ESTA - what you need to do is to "fix" the ESTA denial caused by your inadvertently answering the employment question incorrectly - unfortunately that may be difficult.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Who do I contact to try to get my ESTA revoked???
Old Oct 16th 2011, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

You will get a response, you just need to have your time expectation in weeks/months rather than hours/days. Tell your parents to cash in the ticket.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 6:40 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in practice, I would go to bar liaison meetings and I recall a long ago discussion of expedite procedures and a senior government person stating: "delay an emergency does not make."
Old Oct 16th 2011, 6:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Who do I contact to try to get my ESTA revoked???
You can not, basically you have 2 choices:

Apply for a B2 Visitor Visa

and/or

Re apply for ESTA

Some people have had success waiting for 6 months or so and doing the latter, but none I recollect have been in your situation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.