perth etl course and license

Old Sep 25th 2011, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

callum1205 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default perth etl course and license

i have read that in perth to gain a full license i would have to complete a 2 week electrical course.i have an otsr and have already applied to energy safe western australia for an approval letter to enable me to book the course.
after succesfully completing the course in perth how long does it take to get the a grade license or does energy safe post it to a western australia address.
the reason i ask is i was thinking of doing the course in perth and getting the license on same visit.tie up some loose ends in the uk and then make move permanent with the family.i dont want to be running around after moving trying to get a license quickly.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

paulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nice
Default Re: perth etl course and license

I'm currently doing the course at Jandakot. You'll need a WA address to register on the course and one for energysafety to post to,

I'll let you know how long it takes when I get mine back but the lecturers have told us that the board only sits every two weeks so it could take upto 6 weeks to get it depending on work load.

Paul
Old Sep 27th 2011, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for your response.i am getting the approval letter by email from energy safe and i have to email or send this to the college to enrol.
did you buy the books for the course at the college?
thanks,
gary
Old Oct 12th 2011, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Tommo66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulandcelia
I'm currently doing the course at Jandakot. You'll need a WA address to register on the course and one for energysafety to post to,

I'll let you know how long it takes when I get mine back but the lecturers have told us that the board only sits every two weeks so it could take upto 6 weeks to get it depending on work load.

Paul
Hi Paul
I spoke to energy safety this morning as I had applied in August for my letter of approval to do the 10 day course to gain my licence.
Energy Safety told me that they have been processing licences wrongly and have now been instructed that any new apps. and anyone in the process of applying will have to do the full gap training etc and work on a provisional licence as a Tade Assistant.
Please let me know how you get on and when did you apply to Energy Safety.
I kicked off big time this morning as I applied as per their website the application process that they were using to grade overseas sparks with an aus A licence. My application was accepted on 18th Aug they also took payment, then after querying my app on the phone was twice told that my approval letter was on its way to me in the uk. Now told theve changed the rules.
I know this will effect others and I would be very interested in your views.

I have not looked into 'the peer route' as wa route was always straight forward but now I would be interested if anyone thinks that would be a better option than the gap training fiasco.

I have timed the whole move from uk to perth around the Balcatta course in December, now to be told I've to jump through more hoops,.
What do these aussies want from us!!!
Old Oct 12th 2011, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

this sounds a nightmare.when you applied for your approval letter did you submit your otsr.this is what i did and still awaiting the approval letter from energy safety.have you received your approval letter?
Old Oct 12th 2011, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by callum1205
this sounds a nightmare.when you applied for your approval letter did you submit your otsr.this is what i did and still awaiting the approval letter from energy safety.have you received your approval letter?
Yes I presented the ostr and all the id as required, paid the fee but have not recieved the approval letter to go to tafe. Theyre saying that the reason applications havent been approved and letters sent out is because they have now changed the system to how the other states are doing it ie gap training etc
Sorry for the bad news, I'm as gutted as anyone!

Cheers Andy
Old Oct 12th 2011, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

i have emailed energy safety tonight after reading your post.gutted now myself.we were looking at flights to get the course done and dusted.glad you posted this.
i have an artc as an electrical mechanic but this is probably classed the same as an otsr.has anyone else the same problem now for western australian licenses
Old Oct 13th 2011, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

andy,
i phoned energy safety western australia this morning.the lassie told me the rules are still the same as before.i told her i applied for the letter of approval and she told me they have been very busy with applications.
i asked her about the gap training for a year and was told as long as i am an electrical mechanic and not electrical fitter the gap training for a year is not required.i told her i have an otsr through vetassess and dont know if vetassess define anyone as a mechanic or fitter.she told me the ostr should suffice.
if i get letter of approval i will let you know.i will keep you posted on this, its really annoying.
if they dont accept me as an electrical mechanic with the otsr i have been defined as an electrical mechanic with tra so this might be ok
Old Oct 13th 2011, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

andy,
i phoned energy safety western australia this morning.the lassie told me the rules are still the same as before.i told her i applied for the letter of approval and she told me they have been very busy with applications.
i asked her about the gap training for a year and was told as long as i am an electrical mechanic and not electrical fitter the gap training for a year is not required.i told her i have an otsr through vetassess and dont know if vetassess define anyone as a mechanic or fitter.she told me the ostr should suffice.
if i get letter of approval i will let you know.i will keep you posted on this, its really annoying.
if they dont accept me as an electrical mechanic with the otsr i have been defined as an electrical mechanic with tra so this might be ok
Hi Callum
Who did you speak to?
I cant believe how crap this lot are. I spoke to someone called Jennifer 3weeks ago and she told me my letter had been approved and was on its way. This week when the bombshell hit I spoke to a lass called Robyn, she was the one who told me the news. I started arguing my point and she put me through to a boss Stephen, he was of the same view as Robyn and stated it will effect all applicants.
I have an email from them explaining the situation but i dont know how to post it on here.
I pray i,m wrong so let me know how you get on.
Cheers Andy
Old Oct 13th 2011, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tommo66
Hi Callum
Who did you speak to?
I cant believe how crap this lot are. I spoke to someone called Jennifer 3weeks ago and she told me my letter had been approved and was on its way. This week when the bombshell hit I spoke to a lass called Robyn, she was the one who told me the news. I started arguing my point and she put me through to a boss Stephen, he was of the same view as Robyn and stated it will effect all applicants.
I have an email from them explaining the situation but i dont know how to post it on here.
I pray i,m wrong so let me know how you get on.
Cheers Andy
hi again Callum
If you can email me on [email protected] and i will send u there email.
Many thanks Andy
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

andy,
the girl didnt give me her name.she seemed pretty sure of the info she was giving me though.
if the letter of approval arrives it must mean the 2 week course will be enough to get the full license and not the years gap training.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

andy,
the girl didnt give me her name.she seemed pretty sure of the info she was giving me though.
if the letter of approval arrives it must mean the 2 week course will be enough to get the full license and not the years gap training.

Hi Callum
I wish you were right.
I spoke again this morning explaining another spark had been in touch and told everything was as before (the letter, 2 week course then your a grade) she said they had a staff briefing last thing yesterday to make sure all staff are aware of the changes and apologised for any misunderstandings.
I had also asked how i move forward now that the system has changed.
When you arrive in aus apply to en safety for a 'provisional licence'.
Find a company to work for who also fills out a log book of work you do.
Once all log book work is complete apply at en safety to be put forward to a RTO to do the vetassess approved level 3 au cert.
On completion you will get your A grade.
She said the RTO exam/test is only a day or two (she wasnt 100% sure) and she also said that if a company will sign you off with the log book quicker then thats fine it doesnt have to be the full 12 months.

Hope some of this helps
Cheers Andy
Old Oct 15th 2011, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Hi Paul
I spoke to energy safety this morning as I had applied in August for my letter of approval to do the 10 day course to gain my licence.
Energy Safety told me that they have been processing licences wrongly and have now been instructed that any new apps. and anyone in the process of applying will have to do the full gap training etc and work on a provisional licence as a Tade Assistant.
Please let me know how you get on and when did you apply to Energy Safety.
I kicked off big time this morning as I applied as per their website the application process that they were using to grade overseas sparks with an aus A licence. My application was accepted on 18th Aug they also took payment, then after querying my app on the phone was twice told that my approval letter was on its way to me in the uk. Now told theve changed the rules.
I know this will effect others and I would be very interested in your views.

I have not looked into 'the peer route' as wa route was always straight forward but now I would be interested if anyone thinks that would be a better option than the gap training fiasco.

I have timed the whole move from uk to perth around the Balcatta course in December, now to be told I've to jump through more hoops,.
What do these aussies want from us!!!
Hi Andy,
Does this apply to both OTSR and ARTC holders?
Regards Derren
Old Oct 15th 2011, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by derren7
Hi Andy,
Does this apply to both OTSR and ARTC holders?
Regards Derren
Hi derren
I'm not sure about the artc route as i never asked to be honest.
You would assume theyd be the same but then again the gap traing 'thing' is a Vettassess idea. Maybe if you presented them with your artc then theyd assume youd not come through Vetassess for your immigration and then they might send you on the short course, maybe thats why theyve been doing things wrong. Clutching at straws a bit but worth looking into.
Ive read ur threads and understand your doin the artc, are you doin the peer route at adelaide or just presenting it to Energy Safety.

On a lighter note the more ive thought about the gap training 'thing' the more i think it probably wont be too bad!!

Cheers andy
Old Oct 15th 2011, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Hi derren
I'm not sure about the artc route as i never asked to be honest.
You would assume theyd be the same but then again the gap traing 'thing' is a Vettassess idea. Maybe if you presented them with your artc then theyd assume youd not come through Vetassess for your immigration and then they might send you on the short course, maybe thats why theyve been doing things wrong. Clutching at straws a bit but worth looking into.
Ive read ur threads and understand your doin the artc, are you doin the peer route at adelaide or just presenting it to Energy Safety.

On a lighter note the more ive thought about the gap training 'thing' the more i think it probably wont be too bad!!

Cheers andy
Hi Andy,
Yeah, I'm currently waiting the outcome for my ARTC and chewing my fingernails off!! So the next step to consider, if I get a positive outcome, is what gap training am I going to do, and I'm trying to keep my options open.
I going to QLD and what you're supposed to there is to do 'on the the job' gap training. I have a friend there who keeps on at me to go and do the PEER route and get an SA licence as he reckons I won't have any difficulty finding work in QLD with it.
I'm not one to rant as you just need to get on with stuff , but why , if you've already been recognised as being a spark do you need to undertake on the job gap training. Isn't it enough to to do a wiring regs course to become familiarised with their practices?
As I've said, I'm trying to keep my options open and the WA way was an option, as is the PEER route and doing the gap training in QLD
Kind Regards Derren

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.