Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New Rabies regulations from Jan 2012

New Rabies regulations from Jan 2012

Old Sep 25th 2011, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

TessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really nice
Default New Rabies regulations from Jan 2012

Hi

Just been informed that from 1st Jan 2012 new regulations come into effect regarding cats and dogs entering Australia. My understanding is that they will need vaccinating within 12 months of the flight date and at least 60 days before the flight. They will also need the rabies blood sample at least 5 months prior to travel. Apparently it can be less than 5 months, however, they will have to spend longer in Australian quarantine. Cats and dogs are allowed out of quarantine 180 days after the date of the rabies blood sample or 30 days after they land, whichever is the greater.

Please take a look at the AQIS website; http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/countries/cat4

Even though UK doesn't appear on this list of countries at the moment, it will do so from 1st January as detailed on the AQIS page "Bringing cats and dogs to Australia".
Old Sep 25th 2011, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Rabies regulations from Jan 2012

I have had a look at your link and admittedly not the entire website. I see no such reference to the rule change for UK pets that you refer to, could you please provide a direct link as I am sure this could be very important information for many on BE.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 9:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I have had a look at your link and admittedly not the entire website. I see no such reference to the rule change for UK pets that you refer to, could you please provide a direct link as I am sure this could be very important information for many on BE.
Think its here

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs

Effective immediately, cats and dogs from Cyprus are required to have a rabies vaccination and rabies titre test prior to entry into Australia.

From 1 January 2012, cats and dogs from the UK, Malta, Republic of Ireland, and Sweden will be required to have a rabies vaccination and rabies titre test prior to entry into Australia.

I don't know much about what the regulations state ate present, but it sounds like they are changing. I'll make this thread sticky for a while as you're right, a lot of people will need this info

Thanks to the OP for posting it
Old Sep 25th 2011, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Think its here

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs

Effective immediately, cats and dogs from Cyprus are required to have a rabies vaccination and rabies titre test prior to entry into Australia.

From 1 January 2012, cats and dogs from the UK, Malta, Republic of Ireland, and Sweden will be required to have a rabies vaccination and rabies titre test prior to entry into Australia.

I don't know much about what the regulations state ate present, but it sounds like they are changing. I'll make this thread sticky for a while as you're right, a lot of people will need this info

Thanks to the OP for posting it
Hi Pollyanna - thanks for that
Old Oct 5th 2011, 9:31 am
Just Joined

MikeSS is on a distinguished road

It's true, the new regulations for shipping pets to Australia are coming in from January 2012- it's as a result of the UK changes to the Pet Travel Scheme to fall in line with Europe. The last date of entry into Australian quarantine is the 21st of December (due to the festive season), so the last flight out will be Monday 19th. Things are already getting really booked up!

Anyone wishing to ship their pets to OZ from January will need to heed the new requirements on Rabies: vaccination within the 12 months prior to shipping and a rabies blood test (RNATT test) at least 60 days before the flight. 180 days in total must pass before leaving quarantine, depending on the timing of the test. If it's the minimum 60 days before the flight, then it's a whopping 120 days in quarantine- if it is 150 days or more, then it's just the minimum 30 days in quarantine.

AQIS also reccomend that if it is the first rabies vaccination then to leave 4 weeks between vaccination and blood test. This is just a reccomendation though..

There's part of the import permit application that will need to bve certified by your vet with the blood test result as part of the application, so this needs to be thought about as part of the whole process.

So, think ahead! If you're definately going within the next 12 months, then get a rabies vaccination, wait 4 weeks (unless the pet has already had a rabies jab) then get a blood test. Then you're good to go in 60 days time and you're working towards the minumum quarantine time
Old Oct 5th 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MikeSS
It's true, the new regulations for shipping pets to Australia are coming in from January 2012- it's as a result of the UK changes to the Pet Travel Scheme to fall in line with Europe. The last date of entry into Australian quarantine is the 21st of December (due to the festive season), so the last flight out will be Monday 19th. Things are already getting really booked up!

Anyone wishing to ship their pets to OZ from January will need to heed the new requirements on Rabies: vaccination within the 12 months prior to shipping and a rabies blood test (RNATT test) at least 60 days before the flight. 180 days in total must pass before leaving quarantine, depending on the timing of the test. If it's the minimum 60 days before the flight, then it's a whopping 120 days in quarantine- if it is 150 days or more, then it's just the minimum 30 days in quarantine.

AQIS also reccomend that if it is the first rabies vaccination then to leave 4 weeks between vaccination and blood test. This is just a reccomendation though..

There's part of the import permit application that will need to bve certified by your vet with the blood test result as part of the application, so this needs to be thought about as part of the whole process.

So, think ahead! If you're definately going within the next 12 months, then get a rabies vaccination, wait 4 weeks (unless the pet has already had a rabies jab) then get a blood test. Then you're good to go in 60 days time and you're working towards the minumum quarantine time
Hi - thanks for writing that up. I have just had my cat vaccinated in light of this recent announcement. Not too sure what you mean by "then you're good to go in 60 days time" ? I thought it was 150 days after the blood test? Bit of a bummer for us as the cat won't be able to come with us when we leave around Feb time - she ill have to be shipped on later
Old Oct 6th 2011, 7:05 am
Just Joined

Hello, sorry if I was a bit vague. I meant to say that once the blood test is done then the pet can travel 60 days later if it absolutely has to, but there will be still be 120 days in quarantine. Then it's a sliding scale up to 150 days or more after the blood test, when you reach the minimum 30 days in quarantine. So the pet can travel 60 days after blood testing, but it is a long time in quarantine for the poor thing- much better to fnid a way for it to wait it's time out in the UK!

The frustrating thing is that even if you have a pet passport set up (where a blood test is mandatory), the rabies blood test is only recognised for a year by AQIS, so this still needs doing!
Old Oct 6th 2011, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeSS
Hello, sorry if I was a bit vague. I meant to say that once the blood test is done then the pet can travel 60 days later if it absolutely has to, but there will be still be 120 days in quarantine. Then it's a sliding scale up to 150 days or more after the blood test, when you reach the minimum 30 days in quarantine. So the pet can travel 60 days after blood testing, but it is a long time in quarantine for the poor thing- much better to fnid a way for it to wait it's time out in the UK!

The frustrating thing is that even if you have a pet passport set up (where a blood test is mandatory), the rabies blood test is only recognised for a year by AQIS, so this still needs doing!
What a bummer eh! I am going to have someone look after my cat here for a while after we leave rather than her be sat in quarrantine for longer - I don't want her to spending any longer in there than she has to! At least the Aussies are more responsible than us by not just opening up the gates to any animal. Goodness knows why the UK decided to change their rules - it's all their fault!
Old Oct 6th 2011, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Too right, between the UK changes, the New Zealand changes and the Australian changes that have followed them, I'm a busy boy!
Old Oct 9th 2011, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

DotSpot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TessD
Hi

Just been informed that from 1st Jan 2012 new regulations come into effect regarding cats and dogs entering Australia. My understanding is that they will need vaccinating within 12 months of the flight date and at least 60 days before the flight. They will also need the rabies blood sample at least 5 months prior to travel. Apparently it can be less than 5 months, however, they will have to spend longer in Australian quarantine. Cats and dogs are allowed out of quarantine 180 days after the date of the rabies blood sample or 30 days after they land, whichever is the greater.

Please take a look at the AQIS website; http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/countries/cat4

Even though UK doesn't appear on this list of countries at the moment, it will do so from 1st January as detailed on the AQIS page "Bringing cats and dogs to Australia".
Presumably then, the easiest option would be to import the dog into New Zealand first, keep it indoors for 30 days as per the NZ requirement (no quarantine), then straight onto Oz where there is no quarantine for animals coming from NZ. Would this be a more viable option than waiting for 6 months?
Old Oct 10th 2011, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Unfortunately the kiwis have jumped onboard this bandwagon too- not only is there now quarantine in New Zealand for 10 days, but they have also included a rabies stipulation:

In the case of pets that have not been vaccinated before the pet must be vaccinated against rabies no less than six months and no more than one year prior to export.

In the case of pets that do have a vaccination against rabies the pet must be vaccinated not more than one year prior to the date of shipment, with evidence of the previous vaccination.

There is a also a requirement for a blood test, which must be conducted on a sample taken not less than 3 months and not more than 24 months prior to shipment. Rabies vaccinations must be kept up to date during the period after testing. In whichever case, the test result must be at lease 0.5 IU/ml.

This is as per the article- http://britishexpats.com/articles/ne.../ship-pets-nz/

So there appears to be no way around it, and there will be a lot of pets waiting to come in depending on if they've had a vaccination and blood test and their timings
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 10:26 am
Just Joined

pixie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm still confused, too much for my brain!!

My situation is, we arrived from Oz with our dog on the 31st July this year and due to circumstances we are set to return to Australia in January.

Our dog had his first rabies injection 11/8/10, blood test done 27/9/2010 with a result of 4.06 and consequently had his rabies booster 6/7/2010.

If I can find a flight and space in quarantine in Oz can he return before the changes come in on the 1/1/2012?? Even though he hasn't been reisdent in the UK for a full 6 months? Any help would be much appreciated.

If anyone can recommend an agent I would be most grateful. I am in East Sussex.

Thankyou in anticipation!!!!
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
I'm afraid that the news is not good. Looking at the scenario of trying to get your dog out before the rules change, there are a couple of issues. The first is quarantine, but if you are going to Sydney then this should be fine. Then there is AQIS and an import permit. If you can get Q space and a permit then there is the problem of a flight- all the flights are full up at the moment until the 19th of December (the last day that pets can fly to Oz). You might be able to get a space though, but you would still have to go ahead and get the blood tests done, which will run out after 30 days if the dog doesn't travel. You'll also need an export permit from DEFRA in the UK, so there are a lot of issues with getting out before the end of the year.

Looking at the changes coming up in 2012 then I think there are similar issues. Firstly, assuming that your post meant that your booster was done on 06/07/11 then this will be good until July next year. However, AQIS only recognise blood tests from the year prior to the export date, so you would need to get another blood test done and wait at least 60 days before your dog could enter Australia, but then there would be 120 days in quarantine
If you can manage a wait of 150 days then there would only be the 30 days quarantine.

My only suggestion is that you write to AQIS and appeal, giving your dog's vaccination and test details, and see what they say. I can't say wheter or not there response will be positive, but it's worth a try!

Sorry not to have had better news!
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 11:14 am
Just Joined

pixie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Mikess, what an absolute nightmare!!

I have already e mailed AQIS so will see what happens but I think our dog will have to stay with my parents and come out at a later date just having to do the 30 days quantine.

Poor little might, he came from a dogs home in Perth, travelled to the UK now heading back to Oz but we just can't leave him behind even though we will have to remortgage to get him there!!!!!!

Last edited by pixie1; Dec 3rd 2011 at 11:15 am. Reason: left out a word
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

KatieJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to you all

I'm new to this website, as I'm just getting my head around moving to Oz - my boyfriend was offered his dream job there so moved in November, and I'm planning to join him by November this year. So its really exciting but very stressful!

I have two cats who were rescue cats and so are of a very nervous disposition (both are very clingy to me). I was hoping to be able to avoid quarantine completely, but from this post it sounds as if they will have to spend 30 days there as a minimum? Is this the case, or can I in any way get around it?

I was also planning to start the Pet Passport process in February - will this give me enough time to get everything completed for the 1st November?

Many thanks for your help :0)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.