Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

A horse's ass in the country

A horse's ass in the country

Old Sep 21st 2011, 4:24 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A horse's ass in the country

Originally Posted by wildinvirginia
Yup - pretty much sums up what we found there lol There's some pretty strange, er 'outcamps' in them thar hills, but everyone I've ever met there has been awesome and the Dr who my daughter is named after, saved her life and is from yup, KY. While she was treating me she was due to go home to her Mom's big birthday bash but her Mom told her if she left my side and something happened to my daughter, then the Dr wasn't the daughter she's raised. They still follow my daughter's progress on FB. Wish we'd have been posted to KY sometimes - the people there are just so warm and friendly, even the stereotypical ones who don't understand a word you say lol

You nailed it by getting out and helping even tho you were ill-equipped ... goes a long way in the South
Also, something I have found in the South in the least expected circumstance or practiced by the least expected people, an innate sense of courtesy that you do not find in the North.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

wildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nice

I haven't traveled too much of the north so would hate to malign anyone. I do have five very very close friends in NY and NJ where people are supposedly notoriously rude - but I have found that to be totally untrue. But then again in England I'm from the South and according to anyone north of Watford, we're rude and selfish too so maybe there's a kinship. There's definitely a shared sense of humor - the only people who ever laugh at my sarcasm tend to be from the east Coast upper

I did go camping on the edge of Lake Superior once and this guy who was camping alongside kept saying "Come over here, I'm gonna kick the Shit out of you" ... largely to his dog and his camping buddy. It was hysterical in his accent and in the end I had to go ask him if anyone ever took him up on that invitation to which he laughed and said, "You just did," which I thought was pretty funny.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 4:32 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't traveled too much of the north so would hate to malign anyone. I do have five very very close friends in NY and NJ where people are supposedly notoriously rude - but I have found that to be totally untrue. But then again in England I'm from the South and according to anyone north of Watford, we're rude and selfish too so maybe there's a kinship. There's definitely a shared sense of humor - the only people who ever laugh at my sarcasm tend to be from the east Coast upper

I did go camping on the edge of Lake Superior once and this guy who was camping alongside kept saying "Come over here, I'm gonna kick the Shit out of you" ... largely to his dog and his camping buddy. It was hysterical in his accent and in the end I had to go ask him if anyone ever took him up on that invitation to which he laughed and said, "You just did," which I thought was pretty funny.
However, you did NOT think it so amusing when he proceeded to do just that.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

wildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nice

Oh no, I should have mentioned, I am a five foot woman from South London - I have two brothers and have stood with the best at Millwall and West Ham games, been water cannoned in Belgium, tear gassed in France and charged by horses all over England just for being a football fan in the wrong place at the right time, and nobody, but nobody, kicks the shit out of me lol One lash of my tongue and the worst is felled.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 4:42 pm
Sursum corda

Oh no, I should have mentioned, I am a five foot woman from South London - I have two brothers and have stood with the best at Millwall and West Ham games, been water cannoned in Belgium, tear gassed in France and charged by horses all over England just for being a football fan in the wrong place at the right time, and nobody, but nobody, kicks the shit out of me lol One lash of my tongue and the worst is felled.
We now have a candidate for the next season of Survivor.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Not on your Nellie Mrs - my super powers come from a strong cuppa and some toast and Marmite. Stick me in there and I'll be blabbing like a baby ha ha ha.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Remind me to never cross your path, virginia! I don't follow too much soccer these days, but just the thought of someone surviving a Millwall game unharmed tells me everything I need to know!

I'm finding some of the peeps in this area can be so overtly friendly sometimes it almost makes your toes curl and sets your teeth on edge.. probably because your instant reaction is that it's got to be false and ungenuine - when in actual fact it isn't.

It's certainly hard to adapt to after coming from the snobbier suburbs of Chicago where we lived in a house for 4 years and wouldn't even have recognized who the next door neighbor was!
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Ha ha ha - it's ok, I am a lover not a hater had to be - came from half Millwall, half Arsenal stock, (so that's north and south London covered) and then did the unthinkable and married a West Ham fan! Ironically, I support Sheffield Wednesday but still follow the Hammers. I think my skills as a mediator are well founded in my football years I am now also a Cubs fan - that's the new hubbies passion, as well as the Colts but my real love these days is Nascar. Gets me by in these parts - Virginia is one of the very few states which doesn't have a professional team .... but it does have Nascar.

before I left the UK I lived for five years in a harbour town on the South coast and got used to chatting to people at the checkout or in the queue without people looking at me like I was about to rob them or steal their children. When I'd go home to visit my family in the burbs, it was all suspicion yet in the roughest parts of inner London, I never had a problem. Am two-faced enough to say I would never want to live there again and wouldn't contemplate raising my daughter there though. I am not into child cruelty and doubt it's ever utilized but the fact my neighbors here talk about whooping some kids ass if he gets out of line is strangely reassuring and is probably why the teens I've met have been really polite and helpful. much like Whitstable, nothing like London suburbs where the term 'entitled sons of bitches' was probably used before the Canadians applied it to geese

But please don't get the idea I am a ruffian - there's something about my naive "hello let's be friends" that makes people think I have no fear lol I'm hoping the same doesn't apply out here otherwise I'll never make friends!
Old Jan 13th 2012, 6:54 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keira-2007
Thanks all,

Guindalf - We haven't ventured far enough out yet to have discovered much of L'ville yet let alone the places you mentioned, but I'll add them to my list of spots to explore when we get bored with these here surroundings.

Bluegrass - We moved to Prospect - an awesome house on 2 and a half acres. Pinch myself every time I walk around it. Bit out in the sticks, but close enough to the Summit to be doable shops-wise, if ya know what I mean.

Shame you're moving back to Scotland. Would have been nice to have another Brit in close proximity. Although funnily enough, my hubbie's PA is from Scotland and she and her Geordie husband came round the other day, and they're the only Brits I've met since moving to the States 4 years ago! (I don't get out much clearly!)
One of my besties from high school lives in Prospect with her girls she adopted from India. She works at the Uni there and loves L'ville.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Glad Tamms resurfaced this thread. Thought I would tell the OP that we have actually moved back to the Louisville area.