Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Ipoh and Taiping, living there or visiting there

Ipoh and Taiping, living there or visiting there

Old Sep 13th 2011, 9:16 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ipoh and Taiping, living there or visiting there

Unfortunately I've not got much to say about Ipoh, capital of Perak state, but have whizzed by it on the North-South highway a few times. It's on my ever growing list of places to visit. Anyone got anything to say about Ipoh?

I have been to Taiping Lake Gardens and they really are quite special. It was developed on an old tin mine apparently. It looks strangely like something out of a UK National Trust Garden... just a tad warmer. I'll see if I can upload a couple of my pics on here.
Attached Thumbnails Ipoh and Taiping, living there or visiting there-taiping1.jpg   Ipoh and Taiping, living there or visiting there-taiping2.jpg  
Old Sep 13th 2011, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ipoh and Taiping, living there or visiting there

The branches on those trees are fablus.

The Flame tree branches here are similar but nowhere near as long.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 1:32 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, really old raintrees. I think I read somewhere that this is the wettest town on mainland Malaysia. Thankfully it didn't rain the day we went there. Took so many photos. Think I must start up a photo gallery on BE one of these days.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Unfortunately I've not got much to say about Ipoh, capital of Perak state, but have whizzed by it on the North-South highway a few times. It's on my ever growing list of places to visit. Anyone got anything to say about Ipoh?

I have been to Taiping Lake Gardens and they really are quite special. It was developed on an old tin mine apparently. It looks strangely like something out of a UK National Trust Garden... just a tad warmer. I'll see if I can upload a couple of my pics on here.
Ipoh did you say? I'm an Ipoh Lad till 10. Just food, food and more food. Famous beansprout chicken, get there early though otherwise all the chicken will be sold out very quickly.

Occasionally you can visit the caves where the buddism set up lots of temples there. I think theres 3 or 4 caves more or less the same. Or if you have children you can go to Sunway the Lost World. Spent RM208 for the whole family with the in law and its start downpour at 3 pm what a turn off. Just back from Ipoh a couple of weeks ago.

We did visit the Taiping zoo. We all loving it! Its a lot better than the London zoo. Well probably lots of differences animal there.

Living in Ipoh? Yes and no, Yes: Its a quiet and peaceful town for retirement. No: its boring.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 3:58 am

It's quite a big area though, isn't it? Where's a good place in Ipoh to base yourself for a short break? For a retired couple, I mean. Any nice parks there? Pubs and eateries?
Old Oct 7th 2011, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

It's quite a big area though, isn't it? Where's a good place in Ipoh to base yourself for a short break? For a retired couple, I mean. Any nice parks there? Pubs and eateries?
Hi Mrs Bakedbean,

Sorry for the delay, just got in the office & its 11c outside brrrr! I bet you dont miss the weather here .

Anyway enough of the English weather. In terms of pub & eateries my brother suggest Ipoh garden.

Theres only 1 park in the city central I'm afraid. I'm not quite familiar with Ipoh even though I was born there but I grew up in Wootton Bassette in Wiltshire.

But I would suggest temple in the cave? They quite fascinating I never come across.

Have fun in Ipoh if decided to visit there.
Attached Thumbnails Ipoh and Taiping, living there or visiting there-img_0717.jpg   Ipoh and Taiping, living there or visiting there-img_0709.jpg   Ipoh and Taiping, living there or visiting there-img_0699.jpg   Ipoh and Taiping, living there or visiting there-img_0707.jpg   Ipoh and Taiping, living there or visiting there-img_0695.jpg  

Old Oct 7th 2011, 9:27 am

Thank you young man. Ipoh is on my 2012 touring list.

Ya... you're very welcome to 11 degrees.... brrrrrr. I thought you lot were getting a late heatwave over there. I guess it passed.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Ya... you're very welcome to 11 degrees.... brrrrrr. I thought you lot were getting a late heatwave over there. I guess it passed.
You are more than welcome! Hope to see you & Mr Bakedbean in 2012, we can go for Kopi if all goes to plan. Hopefully we'll be moving back to Malaysia around June (hopefully no get stuck in the Olympic traffic ). That will depend when we can sell our house in Harlow.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived back in UK last week with promises of an October heatwave the hottest in years.
Now my neighbour tells me there may be temperatures of minus three this coming weekend.

Do weather forecasters ever get it right?
Old Oct 11th 2011, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ex reg
I arrived back in UK last week with promises of an October heatwave the hottest in years.
Now my neighbour tells me there may be temperatures of minus three this coming weekend.

Do weather forecasters ever get it right?
Alright Ex reg,

Heatwave was 2 weeks ago. Yeah I hear that snow thing in October in Scotland highland may be.

Oh, I miss Malaysia climate. I cant wait to get out there.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 1:52 pm

There ya go exReg you got the wrong week nice n warm back here
Old Oct 11th 2011, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

There ya go exReg you got the wrong week nice n warm back here
Yeah I know but the missus tells me they've had a lot of heavy rain and strong winds in Singapore.
I'm only here to sort out the weeds that have grown like blazes in the three months we were away.
But we've moved into our new place and we've finished the reno so the missus is finishing the unpacking there while I do the hard work in the cold here.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

I had a long hard think about Ipoh. Its pace is definitely slower, but Ipoh has everything you need with beautiful limestone hill backdrop, is without major traffic jams and has the food. However its so central to other lovely areas such as Cameron Highlands, Lake Temenggor, the Royal town of Kuala Kangsar, Taiping, Lumut and Pangkor Island, even the last remaining tin dredge near Batu Gaja (for us boys the toys), has high speed train to KL and not too far from Penang. Can have fun trip to East Coast via Gua Musang and Lake Kanyir. So I guess I'm saying that if one just stays in Ipoh, it can get boring, but if you like nice drives in the country, then its a top spot.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 1:47 pm

Where's that lake exactly? Where would you stay in or near Ipoh?