Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

PR Approved, our 2 day old baby is not included!

PR Approved, our 2 day old baby is not included!

Old May 31st 2011, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light
Default PR Approved, our 2 day old baby is not included!

Ok so I've had confirmation from our Case Officer that our PR Application was approved back on the 23rd and congratulating us etc.

Have been advised though that our new bundle of joy wasn't included in the application and that as a result we have two options:

Option 1: Un-Decide the approval and re-submit the application again but this time with him included.

Option 2: Continue with our PR as is and then apply for him using the Family Category "when we're ready".

I've sent them a number of questions and no doubt I'll get a response them tomorrow.

However perhaps we can debate them here too?

If our application was "Approved", does that not mean that we have been Permanent Residents since May 23rd and as such is the new guy not by default an NZ Citizen... or... are there further steps to take before the status of Permanent Resident is formally in place?

If we go with Option 1. We have to send back his passport, birth certificate and immigration medicals etc (he was only born two days ago so we obviously don't have these yet). Would we also have to pay an application fee for him and would we also have to pay further application fees for us?

Additionally, with an Approval status already granted, would any revision of our application to include another bod' be quicker - e.g. our work permits expire in Sept!

If we go with Option 2. Is there a minimum timescale within which we should submit the application for him and until we do, what is his immigration status and where would we stand in relation to healthcare etc for him?

All very interesting!

Your thoughts on a postcard please?
Old May 31st 2011, 6:57 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Approved, our 2 day old baby is not included!

NZIS, like any govt dept anywhere, don't react terribly well to surprises and this must have been one for them! I don't think you can do much more than see what they say to your questions as I wouldn't think many peeps have been down this particular path.

Did NZIS ask why you hadn't mentioned pending junior before?
Old May 31st 2011, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by simonsi
NZIS, like any govt dept anywhere, don't react terribly well to surprises and this must have been one for them! I don't think you can do much more than see what they say to your questions as I wouldn't think many peeps have been down this particular path.

Did NZIS ask why you hadn't mentioned pending junior before?
Oh they knew we were expecting. It was detailed on my wife's medical, was the reason she didn't have to have a chest x-ray and we've mentioned it in emails that went back and to, prior to his arrival.

:-)
Old May 31st 2011, 8:49 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Good point, shame they didn't suggest a better solution then, perhaps inc junior but delaying decision til he had arrived? Seems a bit complex and potentially expensive now..... :-(
Old May 31st 2011, 11:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite simple. If you get a Permanent Resident stamp or other official letter saying you became PR before your son was born, then he is a New Zealand citizen.

If you have to pay the Migrant Levy or something which is obligatory before you become PR, in which case it means you're not PR yet, then your son isn't an NZ citizen.

Case officer talking about "undeciding" your application is something you should be very careful about as it could leave you in a worse situation however by all accounts you have not helped your own case along the way.

If you cannot get an official letter or passport stamp confirming you became PR on May 23 (have you not already asked for this?), then find an immigration lawyer immediately.

Last edited by JAJ; May 31st 2011 at 11:40 pm.
Old May 31st 2011, 11:33 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I believe this family have yet to pay the migrant levy fee JAJ .
Old May 31st 2011, 11:35 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I believe this family have yet to pay the migrant levy fee JAJ .
Then it depends on what the immigration law says. Do you become PR first, and then have an obligation to pay the migrant levy? Or do you have to pay the migrant levy before you formally become a PR?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Then it depends on what the immigration law says. Do you become PR first, and then have an obligation to pay the migrant levy? Or do you have to pay the migrant levy before you formally become a PR?
Ok... some answers and dome clarity.

You have to pay the migrant levy before you acquire the PR status. See here: http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/migrantlevy.htm

Our case officer has also responded to my questions.

First things first, we've only been "Approved in principle" and all that remains is the payment of the Migrant Levy.

(This is slightly frustrating because had they written to us on May 23rd when the Approval In Principle was effected then we'd at least have had a chance of trying to pay the migrant levy prior to his birth on the 29th... of course we didn't know he was coming on the 29th until he did, but still, I can't imagine we'd have hung around and not wanted to pay it a.s.a.p. but hey ho, so be it.)

So... this is what we're faced with...

If we go with Option 1 and "un-decided" our Approval In Principle, we won't need to pay anything extra for the original 4 applicants, nor will we have to pay anything extra for our new bundle of joy... with the exception of having to organise (and pay for) his Birth Certificate, British Passport and Immigration Medical which would all have to be supplied to NZIS before they would consider the application for all 5 of us.

In addition, according to the website I link to above, you only pay the Migrant Levy for the 4 oldest applicants in the event that there are more than 4... this means we'd have no additional Migrant Levy to pay for the baby.

Alternatively, if we went with Option 2 and applied for our baby under the Family Category at a later date, it'd cost us $790 for his application, plus the birth certificate, passport and medical etc and presumably we'd also have to pay a Migrant Levy for him too.

In summary... we can decline our "Approved in Principle" status and then once we've got the necessary supporting documentation in place for our new baby we can ask them to reconsider our application for all 5 of us at once.

(This is the cheapest option, but I'm very conscious that our current work permits expire on September 15th and we may be pushing it to get everything in, considered and approved before then - in which case we'd have the additional cost of renewing the current, work, student and visitor visas.)

Or the original four of us can plough on ahead, take our time to collate the documentation relating to our new baby and then submit an application in his own right and pay $790 plus a Migrant Levy of $155 for the privelidge.

Thoughts please?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go ahead if it was me, and apply for the little 'un at a later date. Sod the expense it's about peace of mind for you all at this busy time - and not having the stress of getting it done before 15th Sep.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 9:09 pm
It is what it is Member

If you decline and resubmit I'd expect that processing to be fairly quick BUT the cost vs peace of mind balance can only be answered by you and yours. FWIW I'd go with option 2 personally.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:55 pm
`

Option 2.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:56 pm
`

Originally Posted by JAJ
Migrant levy first , then Residency.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 12:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Another one for Option 2
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: PR Approved, our 2 day old baby is not included! [UPDATE 23/06/2011]

Ok... so... despite popular opinion we decided to chance our arm and go with Option 1 after speaking to our Case Office and her assuring us that there was more than enough time to get everything sorted.

At the beginning of last week I sent off for his Birth Certificate.. it arrived on the Friday.

I went on Wednesday last week to try to book his Immigration Medical... booked for (and carried out) last Friday... bonus too as the Doctor elected not to charge us for it, given that most of the questions/requirements of the form don't apply to such a young baby!

On Saturday I posted the application for his British Passport to the High Commission in Wellington... had been told to expect a wait of between 4 and 6 weeks... his passport arrived with us TODAY!! I find this incredible. I know that the application didn't leave our local Post Shop until Monday, it would have arrived with the High Commission on Tuesday and so far as I can tell, his passport application was reviewed, approved and his passport printed and posted back to us on the very same day... absolutely fantastic service!

On Monday I posted the Immigration Medical and Birth certificate to our NZIS Case Office... she received the paperwork today and has been in touch to confirm that she now just needs to see his passport in order to make her final decision and has asked us to send all of our other passports in, in order to save time once she's made her final decision.

The sun is shining on us at the moment for sure!!!!!

Old Jun 23rd 2011, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

George Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud of

That is very good news. In Kenya, we have to send our passport applications to Pretoria and expect the process to take 8 weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.