Seven Years in

Old May 5th 2011, 3:14 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Seven Years in

Hi Everyone

Just realised that we have been here over seven years now! New Zealand is well and truly home.

We arrived in 2004 in visitors visa's, complete with backpacks and about $500 to our name. Got a job, got a work permit, lived in hostels, dingy flats, freezing cold villa's and a damp two bedoom basement flat with a glorious view of the harbour in Devonport.

Got married on a beach in Fiji in Nov 2004

I hated my job, but had to stick it out for a couple of years.

2006 applied for and was awarded residency, quit my job the day after we got the blue stickers.

Time to get out of Auckland, moved to Marlborough, where I got a job in the wine industry.

Bought a 3 bed house in Dec 2006.

Pregnant! Beautiful daughter Sabrina born in Jan 2008

Pregnant again! Beautiful daughter Miranda born in Sept 2009

Went to Europe 2010, wife officially cured of homesickness and could not wait to get back to NZ

Also started my own business in 2010, providing products to the wine industry, barrels, yeast etc - great to be my own boss

2011 - Business is doing good, get to spend lots of time with family, wife has bought a horse, we are off travelling for a couple of months through Asia.

Also, started my own wine label, Eureka. Just finished the grape harvest and am officially knackered.

Even though we might not be rich. Sometimes when you are sat out on the deck with the fire going, looking at the stars and talking to Melissa my wife and best mate, sharing a nice bottle of wine, knowing that the girls are tucked up safe and warm......I feel like I am the richest man in the world.

Catchafire (aka Beachcombers)
Old May 6th 2011, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seven Years in

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Hi Everyone

Just realised that we have been here over seven years now! New Zealand is well and truly home.

We arrived in 2004 in visitors visa's, complete with backpacks and about $500 to our name. Got a job, got a work permit, lived in hostels, dingy flats, freezing cold villa's and a damp two bedoom basement flat with a glorious view of the harbour in Devonport.

2006 applied for and was awarded residency, quit my job the day after we got the blue stickers.

Time to get out of Auckland, moved to Marlborough, where I got a job in the wine industry.

Went to Europe 2010, wife officially cured of homesickness and could not wait to get back to NZ

Also started my own business in 2010, providing products to the wine industry, barrels, yeast etc - great to be my own boss

2011 - Business is doing good, get to spend lots of time with family, wife has bought a horse, we are off travelling for a couple of months through Asia.

Also, started my own wine label, Eureka. Just finished the grape harvest and am officially knackered.

Even though we might not be rich. Sometimes when you are sat out on the deck with the fire going, looking at the stars and talking to Melissa my wife and best mate, sharing a nice bottle of wine, knowing that the girls are tucked up safe and warm......I feel like I am the richest man in the world.

WOW!!!!
Fantastic update thank you x
Old May 8th 2011, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Coolio Bro!! That is the dream eh? Tenacity and a positive attitude will conquer all..good luck to you!!
Old May 8th 2011, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Living the dream - how fantastic! Where do you sell your wine?
Old May 8th 2011, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

nicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nice

Hi Everyone

Wow.... sounds like you've really made the most of the past seven years, awesome update and inspiring. It sounds like your hard work is paying off Happy Days..........all the best

Paul & Dani
Old May 8th 2011, 10:59 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It's a wonderful , uplifting update. It should be a contender for post of the year.
Old May 8th 2011, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Fabulous positive update. Long may it continue.
Old May 9th 2011, 2:50 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome back and thank you for such a wonderful update. Well done to you and yours.
Old May 9th 2011, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

A truely inspiring post mate. Awsome.. May you success continue with all the luck in the world. I will surely be looking for your label on the shelves of NZ in the near future then.

Oh and you sig pic takes me back..

Gary
Old May 10th 2011, 4:41 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. Nice to see so many familiar faces!
Old May 10th 2011, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by chippy64
Living the dream - how fantastic! Where do you sell your wine?
We are making very small quantities of high quality wine (we hope), which will be available either direct or at certain restaurants. Would love to make more, but can only make a small amounts due to having bugger all money!

We will be launching a FB page and website soon. Thanks for the intrest!
Old May 10th 2011, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

We are making very small quantities of high quality wine (we hope), which will be available either direct or at certain restaurants. Would love to make more, but can only make a small amounts due to having bugger all money!

Cheers = will look out for them!
Old May 10th 2011, 5:45 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Ooo. Cellar door You'll be finding yourselves on the receiving end of the boutique wine tours soon. Go for gold.

We visited this boutique vineyard which is just up the road from us. Himmelsfeld.
We've a bottle of her Noble Chardonnay.
Old May 10th 2011, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by BEVS
Ooo. Cellar door You'll be finding yourselves on the receiving end of the boutique wine tours soon. Go for gold.

We visited this boutique vineyard which is just up the road from us. Himmelsfeld.
We've a bottle of her Noble Chardonnay.
Beth has got a great place and she makes some lovely wines.

Greenhough in Brightwater makes some of the best wine in NZ! You should check them out, I think the cellar door is open at weekends during the winter.

We are making a noble Pinot Gris and a unique style of Sauvignon Blanc this year.
Old May 10th 2011, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Great post! Good on you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.