Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

why did you chose your particular part of France to settle down.

why did you chose your particular part of France to settle down.

Old May 4th 2011, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

Dave Maggie Siddall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default why did you chose your particular part of France to settle down.

We were wondering if members would care to share their reasons for settling where they did in France.
Old May 4th 2011, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why did you chose your particular part of France to settle down.

Originally Posted by Dave Maggie Siddall
We were wondering if members would care to share their reasons for settling where they did in France.
Having read many posts on the forum, people have moved to France for various reasons.
Perhaps that is where their work was or they wanted a rural setting or they wanted to keep their horses or they wanted to be by the sea or they wanted lots of sunshine.
Some have even moved to more rainy parts but wanted to keep easy travel links with the UK.
After having visited most parts of France we chose the Loire valley because it was not too hot/cold; had good links back to the UK; was interesting historically; had good wine and food; was within easy reach of other places by TGV or autoroute or plane.
It also had some nice golf courses.
You need to think about what your priorities are and then look at the choice you have.
Happy hunting.
Old May 4th 2011, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

we ended up near toulouse for my husbands work; we moved further out due to constrained circumstances; actually ending up as a real positive as I love it here!
Old May 4th 2011, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

cuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nice

I only had a choice of Switzerland or 01 / 74 departments as I came to work at CERN. Chose 01 in the end as the traffic to get home is far easier, and it was right on the doorstep of my office, 11 years later no regrets.
Old May 4th 2011, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

smithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of light

We came here on holiday, (first holiday in France I may add), and fell in love with the area. Went home, sold our house, gave up two great jobs, and 4 months later we were living here. Mad? Obviously! The right decision? Without question! It's just over 3 years now, and we absolutely love it.
Old May 4th 2011, 5:47 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

We decided to buy a place in France for our eventual retirement and started seriously looking about 8 years ago; after visits to Charente Maritime. Loire, Vendee etc., we slowly realized we were wasting our time and that actually we didn't want to retire in France; we really wanted to retire in Basse-Normandie where most of the OH's family live and which we already knew very well after decades of holidays there.

That is where we bought our house 4 years ago.

Last edited by Novocastrian; May 4th 2011 at 5:49 pm. Reason: clarity I hope
Old May 4th 2011, 6:00 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I came over to work in Paris x years ago, met and married my OH, lived several years in the Paris suburbs, then, when OH retired and wanted to rear goats in the Cévennes, I put my foot down and we came to a compromise. We've lived in rural (but civilized) Hérault ever since!
Old May 4th 2011, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Have lived in Paris for just over 3 years, because that's where my girlfriend was from, but am moving to Charente Limousine next month, as we have two babies, and want more space to live in and for them to run around in. Although in the middle of nowhere, there is a major town and city not that far away. We chose the place purely by chance as for a good couple of years, we'd planned on Auvergne.
Old May 5th 2011, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

We had decided on Northern Spain, but got caught out by the volcano, and discovered how important it was to us to get back to the UK easily when necessary. So we are just off a good motorway and rail connection, two airports nearby and the TGV coming soon. Others of course might see that ease of access as a negative.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

leforgais is an unknown quantity at this point

We holidayed in the Vendee with small children, returned with older ones and fell in love with it. Finally moved out here in November after retiring and selling up in UK.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 7:16 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Still looking...

I resigned from work to come to France but my Boss made me an offer I couldn't refuse!

I could work part-time and travel back to the UK once per month for a week to deliver my course (I'm a trainer) - added bonus was that work agreed to pay for travel back and forth

Came over last September and wanted to try out life in the South. Stayed for two months in Le Cap d'Agde and then another month in Pezenas. We've now secured a 14-month rental in the Charente Maritime and have got our 4-year old into a local school which is excellent.

Still undecided about the long-term and our UK home is being let out to Tenants on a 12-month contract.

So far so very good. If it were down to me, I'd sell up and stay here. Time will tell though.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: why did you chose your particular part of France to settle down.

Hi all,

I have lived in Scandinavia (mostly Sweden) for 42 years and as retirement approached, I said 'not another bloody winter here', so 2 years ago we started looking for a holiday/retirement home further south and west. I had fond memories of playing rugby with an English club on tour in SW France, so we started looking there (around Angouleme and Bordeaux). We bought a small place in the Charente and have been slowly but surely moving furniture and things and this year, insha'alla, we will be making the final move from the Frozen North to la Douce France. We spent all of last summer in the Charente and got to know a lot of both French and English neighbours who have become good friends. Having spent a lot of time in France I am pretty good with the language, my wife is learning and making good progress, and that's a key issue if you are to settle and feel at home in France, the language.

Anybody wants to see what Swedish winters look like, for the snow lovers, pm me!

Blackie
Old Jan 12th 2012, 10:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blackladder
as retirement approached, I said 'not another bloody winter here'.

Anybody wants to see what Swedish winters look like, for the snow lovers, pm me!

Blackie
Are they anything like Canadian winters?

I'm yet to say "not another bloody winter here", but I think I can say "only one more bloody winter here" after this one.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Hi Novocastrian!

Here's a few shots:

http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/l...%20and%20snow/

got some from a hide photoshoot if you're interested.

Blackie
Old Jan 14th 2012, 8:01 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Blackladder
Hi Novocastrian!

Here's a few shots:

http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/l...%20and%20snow/

got some from a hide photoshoot if you're interested.

Blackie
Cheers Blackie. Yup, just like Canada.

<this years been exceptional though; there's barely a covering on the ground here in southern Ontario on Jan 14th, quite strange>

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.