Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Easter - well, it's all about the chocolate mummy

Easter - well, it's all about the chocolate mummy

Old Apr 22nd 2011, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Easter - well, it's all about the chocolate mummy

I was somewhat shocked this week when I asked my 11 year old daughter to tell me about Easter.

Well, it's about Spring and chocolate eggs, and, uh ..... She had no clue.

I have failed in educating my child(ren). Easter is the biggie, in the Christian calendar.

I am not a religious person - I hold no faith really, other than I truly hope that human beings can rub along together and cause little harm to our planet - a fantasy of mine perhaps. I was brought up in a vaguely Christian household - my dad was privately a very religious man and my mum, not so much. I got given the basics and then chose not to pursue that for myself. But I was given enough information to make a decision.

But I am saddened that along with my own lack of teaching to my children, the schools give no religious education at all here. Nothing. Daughter Number One was not even allowed to include a photo of a church in her project about our town.

Is there not a way of teaching about religions without actually teaching religion? Why shouldn't we educate our kids that in some parts of the world, billions of people are respecting Hanukkah, Ede, Easter, all kinds of festivals?

I know that the church and the state school system are purposefully not entwined here in Canada and I guess I agree with that in principle. If you want your child to have a religious education, send them to a religious school.

But why can't they learn about religion? Is it too difficult to draw the line, and is it better to have no input, than poorly taught input?

They are taught Canadian history, they are taught about the native peoples, they are taught about democracy and government and the rules of basketball. Could they not be taught that in some places in this world, some people believe in god? Is it too difficult to draw a line between the big "popular" faiths and those thought to be complete crack-pots?

I might be answering my own questions here while I type out this thread. Maybe it is better to have no connection between church (church with a small "c") and general education. A government providing education for all should not condone church at all.

I think I just wanted the kids to be given an understanding - and I have obviously failed to provide that myself. A little wake-up call, I guess, that after four years in Canadian education, my kids have lost their understanding about some of the world around them - it is down to us as parents to teach this part of the curriculum after all. If we want to.

There, I have answered my own question.

Just musing really. I know Alan2005 will think me insane if I carry on

Oh, and have a Happy Easter Weekend
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 3:31 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Easter - well, it's all about the chocolate mummy

The problem with Easter is it loses credibility as they can't agree on the day Jesus died or got resurrected, I think thats why not many people give a flying toss about it. With Christmas it's the 25th of Dec., you know where you stand.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 3:39 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if I remember this correctly but isn't the date calculated as the first Sunday after the first full moon in Jerusalem after March 21st?

Immutable days like Christmas and my birthday have the disadvantage that they can occur mid-week. At least Easter offers the long weekend and, for that, we should be grateful.

Originally Posted by Oink
The problem with Easter is it loses credibility as they can't agree on the day Jesus died or got resurrected, I think thats why not many people give a flying toss about it. With Christmas it's the 25th of Dec., you know where you stand.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 3:44 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Not sure if I remember this correctly but isn't the date calculated as the first Sunday after the first full moon in Jerusalem after March 21st?

Immutable days like Christmas and my birthday have the disadvantage that they can occur mid-week. At least Easter offers the long weekend and, for that, we should be grateful.
You make a very valid point. But it still doesn't quite have the punch that Christmas has. Nobody ever asks if you want to go down for an Easter pint. That'd be a bit Fiat 500 buying wouldn't it?
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 3:54 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
Is there not a way of teaching about religions without actually teaching religion? Why shouldn't we educate our kids that in some parts of the world, billions of people are respecting Hanukkah, Ede, Easter, all kinds of festivals?

I know that the church and the state school system are purposefully not entwined here in Canada and I guess I agree with that in principle. If you want your child to have a religious education, send them to a religious school.

But why can't they learn about religion? Is it too difficult to draw the line, and is it better to have no input, than poorly taught input?

They are taught Canadian history, they are taught about the native peoples, they are taught about democracy and government and the rules of basketball. Could they not be taught that in some places in this world, some people believe in god? Is it too difficult to draw a line between the big "popular" faiths and those thought to be complete crack-pots?

I might be answering my own questions here while I type out this thread. Maybe it is better to have no connection between church (church with a small "c") and general education. A government providing education for all should not condone church at all.
Ann rightly or wrongly the issue is this quote from the Curriculum Handbook for Parents: Grade 5 and I'll guess that it is in every handbook for every grade.

Information Regarding the Alberta Human
Rights Act
On September 1, 2010, section 11.1 of the Alberta Human Rights
Act comes into force. This section requires boards (including
charter schools) to provide parents with notice where “courses of
study, educational programs or instructional materials, or
instruction or exercises … include subject matter that deals
primarily and explicitly with religion, human sexuality or sexual
orientation.”
Where a parent makes a written request, teachers
shall exempt the student, without academic penalty, from such
instruction, course of study, educational program or use of
instructional material. These requirements do not apply to
incidental or indirect references to religion, religious themes,
human sexuality or sexual orientation. For more information, refer
to the Guide to Education: ECS to Grade 12.
My emphasis. I'm thinking that schools do not want to get into the problems this brings up so they just don't go there. My understanding is that educators were strongly opposed to this change in the act but they were not listened to by the Provincial Government.

Last edited by Steve_P; Apr 22nd 2011 at 4:02 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 4:00 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I was somewhat shocked this week when I asked my 11 year old daughter to tell me about Easter.

Well, it's about Spring and chocolate eggs, and, uh ..... She had no clue.

I have failed in educating my child(ren). Easter is the biggie, in the Christian calendar.

I am not a religious person - I hold no faith really, other than I truly hope that human beings can rub along together and cause little harm to our planet - a fantasy of mine perhaps. I was brought up in a vaguely Christian household - my dad was privately a very religious man and my mum, not so much. I got given the basics and then chose not to pursue that for myself. But I was given enough information to make a decision.

But I am saddened that along with my own lack of teaching to my children, the schools give no religious education at all here. Nothing. Daughter Number One was not even allowed to include a photo of a church in her project about our town.

I think I just wanted the kids to be given an understanding - and I have obviously failed to provide that myself. A little wake-up call, I guess, that after four years in Canadian education, my kids have lost their understanding about some of the world around them - it is down to us as parents to teach this part of the curriculum after all. If we want to.

There, I have answered my own question.

Just musing really. I know Alan2005 will think me insane if I carry on

Oh, and have a Happy Easter Weekend
I hear ya. I think there's a place for schoolchildren to be taught about all beliefs, including having none. Call it geography, social sciences whatever. How can you understand history and current affairs without a knowledge of different religions and cultures?
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 4:28 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

I asked Abby what she thought about Easter and what they've told her at school: MP3 recording of her reply attached... Can't say I'm totally shocked or surprised at her answer

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Abbys talking about easter.mp3 (4.71 MB, 62 views)
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Ann rightly or wrongly the issue is this quote from the Curriculum Handbook for Parents: Grade 5 and I'll guess that it is in every handbook for every grade.

My emphasis. I'm thinking that schools do not want to get into the problems this brings up so they just don't go there. My understanding is that educators were strongly opposed to this change in the act but they were not listened to by the Provincial Government.
Thanks Steve - I think I was aware of that, or similar wording.

The schools send out the reminders when they are going to talk sex. I'd be happy to sign the waiver for religion too
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Call it geography, social sciences whatever. How can you understand history and current affairs without a knowledge of different religions and cultures?
Succinctly put fled - that's pretty much what I was trying to say - you eloquently condensed it to once sentence.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 6:07 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Succinctly put fled - that's pretty much what I was trying to say - you eloquently condensed it to once sentence.
I thank you. I am disappointed about not finding the chocolate mummy though, was it by Suchard or Lindt?
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm Catholic and so are our children (OH a Jeidi or something!). Both our children go to Catholic schools in Canada. They are growing up and have their own opinions already on Catholicism and other religions. I always felt it was better to have some sort of religion whilst growing up and a free mind to explore others or indeed to become a Jedi themselves!

My friends however were never brought up with religion and have followed the same path for their children. But how sad to hear my friend's 6 year old point to the local Methodist Church and ask "whats that building Mummy?" She didn't know where to start. What a shame, I agree, that within the public school system they don't have a one hour religious lesson. All faiths could be explored, taught, and provide a starting point for a young, curious mind, but to be excluded from this is failing them.

However, I'll never forget when my son was just 6 years old and told the dear old dear with the collection basket to "keep the change" Not sure how much goes in and how much they switch off!!