Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Advice Please re retirement in Singapore

Advice Please re retirement in Singapore

Old Mar 29th 2011, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

xxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nice
Default Advice Please re retirement in Singapore

Firstly a very good afternoon to you...

I am looking to relocate to Singapore to live...can anyone advise me as to what road l need to go down to look into acheiving this...thanking you in advance..

Elaine
Old Mar 30th 2011, 3:24 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice please

Welcome to the FE forum. There are a lot of expats living in Singapore so I'm sure someone will be along to help you out. Maybe you colud outline your reasons for moving there and what your plans are and then maybe people might be able to help you more specifally. good luck with your move.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 7:05 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Welcome to the FE forum. There are a lot of expats living in Singapore...
Unfortunately not many of them use BE.

Hi OP - have you looked into visas? It's not that easy a place to get into unless you have a job offer, an employer willing to sponsor you. The govt likes to keep tight hold if immigration and employers are only allowed to use a certain ratio of foreign talent. I'm sure there will be old threads about this so have a good look at the forum and then come back with more specific questions.

We were there 6 years, started on an EP (which meant I was on a DP), then got PR. This will all make sense when you've had a read, BTW I know there are different visa options these days.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxElainexx
Firstly a very good afternoon to you...

I am looking to relocate to Singapore to live...can anyone advise me as to what road l need to go down to look into acheiving this...thanking you in advance..

Elaine
need a lot more detail to offer any useful advice
Old Mar 31st 2011, 3:14 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

If you're thinking about retirement, I think there's still a Long Term Social Pass but it's jolly expensive. You'll need a lot of dosh to do that one.

You'd better gen up on all the acronyms in Singapore too..... EP, DP, PR, ECP, PIE.... and so on

Anyway, we all await more detail from you.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

xxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nice

Firstly a big thank you to you all for advice given so far....

Would like to go out there to live in semi retirement if possible....think that might be the best way of putting it.....do of course realise it's expensive to retire there but wondered what the procedures would be to look into also the age factor...it would seem a lot of countries have those along with lots more much needed by them info..

Again thank you all so very much for your advice...
Old Apr 1st 2011, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Difficult one this because you still aren't giving much away especially what you mean by semi retirement..
From what you've said so far then I think it might be too difficult.

Try thinking about Malaysia.

You might try a few weeks here on holiday and traipse around the Gov Depts and get word of mouth info although sometimes that isn't gospel.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:35 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore IS possible. I'll copy and paste a bit of the requirements but you can also follow this link to the Singapore Immigration website for more info http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=238&secid=171

quote:
Eligibility

Visitors are eligible to apply for a renewable Long Term Visit Pass of up to 5 years if they meet the following criteria:

1. 45 years old and above;
2. own a property / properties in Singapore worth at least S$500,000 (in total) for residential purposes and meet any one of the following financial requirements:
* have savings of at least S$400,000 parked in Singapore in any form of financial instruments based in Singapore, or
* show evidence of a monthly local income of at least S$7,000, or
* have a combined, savings and 5-year equivalent income of at least $400,000.
3. must be in good health
4. have valid Medical Insurance in Singapore
unquote

Apart from the fact that you need a heck of a lot of money to do it, the bit that I really do not like is items (3) and (4). Are you really going to be in good health throughout the whole of your retirement? If you get sick, will they boot you out of the country? Medical insurance? Well most insurance companies will not cover you forever. A lot will not cover past 65 or 70. So then you face the possibility of another move in your old age.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by ex reg
I don't want to put too much on here as we have a separate Malaysia sub-forum and there is tons of info on there, but I have the Malaysian retirement visa MM2H and it's an easier one to get. I like the fact that MM2H will accept a Rejection Letter from an insurance company for medical insurance and it's a lifetime visa renewable every 10 years AND you can get tax-free income from abroad

If you want to spend time in Singapore, could maybe retire to Malacca (Melaka) and it's not that far away to drive down to Singapore. Anyway, come over to the Malaysia forum if you want to chat about it.

I'm going to tweek the title of this thread if I may. Hope you don't mind Elaine. Just that it will be helpful for others thinking about retiring or semi-retiring to Singapore on forum searches.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Advice Please re retirement in Singapore

Once again, thank you for the advice given thus far...l don't mind at all that you use the thread if it helps ....
l shall look forward to reading the comments and advice given...again many thanks for your help...
Old Apr 12th 2011, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

shankar1023 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xxElainexx
Once again, thank you for the advice given thus far...l don't mind at all that you use the thread if it helps ....
l shall look forward to reading the comments and advice given...again many thanks for your help...
is LPR will work out for a IT guy with 8 years exp.in network&security from India?
Old Apr 13th 2011, 3:41 am

What's that got to do with retirement in Singapore? Why not start a new thread?
Old May 18th 2011, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ex reg
Difficult one this because you still aren't giving much away especially what you mean by semi retirement..
From what you've said so far then I think it might be too difficult.

You might try a few weeks here on holiday and traipse around the Gov Depts and get word of mouth info although sometimes that isn't gospel.
Hi sorry for not replying to you sooner...having investigated further as you have suggested it would seem that you're probably right with regards moving to retire but have given some thought to coming over to have a look...
Thank you for you advice it's been much appreciated ...

xxElainexx
Old May 18th 2011, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Singapore IS possible. I'll copy and paste a bit of the requirements but you can also follow this link to the Singapore Immigration website for more info http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=238&secid=171

quote:
Eligibility

Visitors are eligible to apply for a renewable Long Term Visit Pass of up to 5 years if they meet the following criteria:

1. 45 years old and above;
2. own a property / properties in Singapore worth at least S$500,000 (in total) for residential purposes and meet any one of the following financial requirements:
* have savings of at least S$400,000 parked in Singapore in any form of financial instruments based in Singapore, or
* show evidence of a monthly local income of at least S$7,000, or
* have a combined, savings and 5-year equivalent income of at least $400,000.
3. must be in good health
4. have valid Medical Insurance in Singapore
unquote

Apart from the fact that you need a heck of a lot of money to do it, the bit that I really do not like is items (3) and (4). Are you really going to be in good health throughout the whole of your retirement? If you get sick, will they boot you out of the country? Medical insurance? Well most insurance companies will not cover you forever. A lot will not cover past 65 or 70. So then you face the possibility of another move in your old age.

You have been so very helpful thank you...it would seem it's going to be very expensive for me ...
What l'm looking to do is to retire abroad...the UK isn't really where l want to
live for very much longer ....sooooo looking to see options available to me...

Again thank you so very much for your help it's much appreciated...

xxElainexx
Old May 19th 2011, 2:06 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

good luck with your move whatever you decide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.