Seven Years On....

Old Mar 4th 2011, 12:47 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Seven Years On....

Well, been here almost seven years now...a lot has happened. I can't even remember the last time I posted on here, but it was a long time ago, years probably. But I'm rained off today (again!), so have a bit of time. I haven't read any of the post either so maybe some of what I say here has been said before.

So for all you newbies and prospective migrants, this is what I think so far..To begin with Australia, in terms of finances is def a less attractive place to be than it was 7 yrs ago. House prices when I came were virtually half of those in the UK. Taking into consideration the rate they've gone up here alongside the now stronger Aussie $, and the fact that hse prices in UK have gone down in some places I'd say prices here have caught up and overtaken those of the UK. That was one of the big attractions of coming here. Also fuel has gone from 77c to 135c! Food has gone up massively. Fresh produce is insanely expensive and not great quality. So they are your main expenses, but other things too..a cup of coffee is $3.90! A pint of Stella..? you need to pay by c/c, unless you carry wads of cash. It all adds up. Utilities...well I don't know what it cost in UK these days but my electric cost around $10 p/day. And I don't even have air con. On top of this wages have not gone up either.

OK, so that's all a bit negative, but you are best knowing this stuff beforehand. I still love it here btw. My thing is camping/4wd/exploring. We've done 2 Cape york trips...about a dozen trips to Fraser, one to the Kimberly/WA and various other smaller trips. Always done boys trips (the girls whinge too much). Normally about 5-10 of us go to Fraser. Oz is a huge country, and until you get out into the more remote area's you just don't appreciate the vastness of it all. Getting out there nearly always gives you some great stories to tell. On our latest trip for example we got stuck in the Daintree for 5 days, cut off by flooded creeks, almost out of food, (you can drink water from the creek). That was followed by nearly losing my truck in the Jardine, with water chest deep sitting in the cab it took 8 of us 1.5 hrs to winch it out, with one of us on guard with a rifle (crocs). Not everybodies cup of tea I know but all part of the adventure for me.

There's been a personal price to pay for this whole Australia experience...and I don't believe this is uncommon. My wife and I split about 3 years ago, she always was homesick to one degree or another, and never really settled, not helped by her going back every year. My son who originally came with us only stayed for about a year and still lives in UK. I do have my other three kids here though (all girls). Also my parents moved out a couple of years after me. So to all you ppl out there I wd say think carefully about the toll this adventure (and it is an adventure) cd take on your relationship. There is normally one person that wants to do this thing more than the other.

Ok gotta go, will write more later maybe...

Last edited by chippy; Mar 4th 2011 at 12:49 am.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 12:51 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seven Years On....

Great post, thanks for sharing.

It's my 8 year anniversary around about now too.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the 7 year mark and to renth for your 8 years here too

Great update
Old Mar 4th 2011, 2:58 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I've just passed my 28th anniversary, so........

To be perfectly honest I have no idea what the comparative cost of living is like nowadays - the last time I went back was 2006 (twice, once for Dad's 92 birthday and then 3 months later for his funeral) and my basic recollection of that trip and the previous ones in 1998 and 2001 was that things like food (in pubs and restaurants) and petrol cost in pounds what they cost in dollars over here - and the pound was over $2 at the time.

I would say that if you are worried about money and are looking at coming to Australia to improve your finances, then you may well be disappointed. If you are looking at emigrating to change your lifestyle then you may well realise your dreams - but that will be up to you. If you live in a modern box on a new housing estate in the UK and you move out here to a modern box on a housing estate then the only noticeable difference in lifestyle may be the lack of stairs in the house.

The big difference between the two countries as far as lifestyle goes is in the outdoor aspect of living. Australia's weather (generally) allows a far greater degree of outdoor living and recreation than the UK, and if that is your thing you will love it here. If you are an indoors person whose main entertainment is the TV then you might as well stay in the UK - everyone tells me the TV here is junk compared to the UK!

I'm with Chippy - my main recreation is getting out with the camper trailer and the 4wd and exploring this great country. I plotted out all my GPS tracks the other month and so far in 6 years we've clocked up 65,000km travelling around Oz. Haven't made it to the Kimberleys yet because the clutch packed up in Mt Isa at the start of that trip. but been right through the centre and across to Albany in the south of WA. There's no way we could do trips like that in the UK.

I'm very glad I came. We came out on a PR visa in Jan '83 - no job, got the visa on a "required skills" basis except that when we arrived there was a recession on and my skills weren't as required as I had hoped. Lived on the dole and capital for a few months until I landed a job (temporary) working with the Commonwealth lighthouses department followed by a permanent position with the Pipeline Authority of SA - both jobs allowed me to spend a lot of time out in the field as well as in the office which was fantastic, flying in helicopters to remote rocks in the Australian Bight and Spencer Gulf and flying to remote spots in the centre of SA. Ok, I was lucky and opportunities like that aren't there for everyone, but there are good opportunities around if you are prepared to look for them and don't just look for the same thing you did in the UK.

I was out here 13 years before I made my first trip back - and when I did I found the people I'd been working with in a factory in Slough doing basically the same jobs they'd been doing when I left and I thought "Thank God I got out!".
Old Mar 4th 2011, 3:02 am

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember you chippy -well done on progress made
Old Mar 4th 2011, 4:12 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Well, I've just passed my 28th anniversary, so........

I would say that if you are worried about money and are looking at coming to Australia to improve your finances, then you may well be disappointed. If you are looking at emigrating to change your lifestyle then you may well realise your dreams - but that will be up to you. If you live in a modern box on a new housing estate in the UK and you move out here to a modern box on a housing estate then the only noticeable difference in lifestyle may be the lack of stairs in the house.

The big difference between the two countries as far as lifestyle goes is in the outdoor aspect of living. Australia's weather (generally) allows a far greater degree of outdoor living and recreation than the UK, and if that is your thing you will love it here. If you are an indoors person whose main entertainment is the TV then you might as well stay in the UK - everyone tells me the TV here is junk compared to the UK!

I'm with Chippy - my main recreation is getting out with the camper trailer and the 4wd and exploring this great country. I plotted out all my GPS tracks the other month and so far in 6 years we've clocked up 65,000km travelling around Oz. Haven't made it to the Kimberleys yet because the clutch packed up in Mt Isa at the start of that trip. but been right through the centre and across to Albany in the south of WA. There's no way we could do trips like that in the UK.
Yeah well done, 28 yrs! I agree with what you are saying here re finances etc, but I do remember thinking, "hmm, houses here are so much cheaper...that means I can get a place as good or better than the one I had in UK, with a much smaller/no mortgage. Then I won't have to work as hard or as long and I'll have more time to enjoy the oz/outdoor lifestyle." So there is a link here, and my point is that it no longer applies like it did, even when I arrived. You can't enjoy what this place has to offer if you spend your whole time slogging at work...what's the point?
Old Mar 4th 2011, 6:06 am

Bello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats to both of you! the time does fly!! only 2.5 years here but it feels like yesterday i stept off the plane!
Old Mar 4th 2011, 8:51 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

About spot on I would say.....We're coming up for 5 years and still very much in the midst of that rollercoaster of emotions....

Cheers

Ginny
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

OzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Stitch
About spot on I would say.....We're coming up for 5 years and still very much in the midst of that rollercoaster of emotions....

Cheers

Ginny
We did 6 years on 9th Feb. Time goes so bloody fast! My parents are here, for three years this year! god only knows where that time went.

Congrats to all of you x x x x
Old Mar 6th 2011, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Chippy & good update!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 8:57 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chippy
You can't enjoy what this place has to offer if you spend your whole time slogging at work...what's the point?

Agreed to some extent, except that it is a lot easier over here to drive out of the city for an hour and find yourself in the middle of uninhabited bush - which makes weekend outings a lot more feasible.

I'm fortunate enough to have reached a stage in my career where I can choose when I work, which makes it possible for me to take 5-6 weeks off at a time and take trips to remote parts of Australia (except this year it's a trip back to Europe).
Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:23 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Well done to both of you,really enjoyed the read
Old Mar 7th 2011, 3:02 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippy
Well, been here almost seven years now...a lot has happened. I can't even remember the last time I posted on here, but it was a long time ago, years probably.

There's been a personal price to pay for this whole Australia experience...and I don't believe this is uncommon. My wife and I split about 3 years ago, she always was homesick to one degree or another, and never really settled, not helped by her going back every year. There is normally one person that wants to do this thing more than the other.

Ok gotta go, will write more later maybe...
Great update, cheers for the honesty.....

I am in a similar situation, but we could split before we get back, just hope there are some single Shiela's going..............

Keith
Old Mar 7th 2011, 7:54 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Great update, cheers for the honesty.....

I am in a similar situation, but we could split before we get back, just hope there are some single Shiela's going..............

Keith
Where you heading back to?
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:47 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Where you heading back to?
Polly, ha ha ha........

I am no looker, lived far too hard, and swig far too much, but i am heading back, gone all shy now........

Keith