Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

New theory test for driving licence in Dubai

New theory test for driving licence in Dubai

Old Jan 12th 2011, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default New theory test for driving licence in Dubai

The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) on Tuesday launched a new theory test for prospective drivers which will replace the traffic sign test.

The new test includes 35 questions and prospective drivers will have to pass it as a first step to acquiring a driving licence in Dubai.

The test will be conducted in all five driving centres in the emirate, said Ahmad Hashim Behroozian, CEO of the Roads and Transport Authority Licensing Agency, during a press conference.

"This test is more comprehensive and will test the students not just on their knowledge and understanding of road signs, but how to handle road hazards and guidelines on safe driving," Behroozian said.

The examination is available in Arabic, English and Urdu. The RTA is also considering adding more languages in future.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/ge...dubai-1.744736
Old Jan 12th 2011, 6:52 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New theory test for driving licence in Dubai

er... [jaw drops] so they haven't had something like this in place up to now?! Silly me, of course they haven't... no one will pass unless it can be learnt by rote.

Even France had this kind of theory test 15 years ago!

I can imagine the question:

"You are in the fast lane and approaching a car in front of you, who is going slightly slower than you are. Do you:
A - adjust your speed to maintain the correct safety distance
B - flash your lights and sound your horn repeatedly
C - swerve into the other lane to undertake at the last minute
D - mow him off the road"

I guess it could be a real challenge...
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:55 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
er... [jaw drops] so they haven't had something like this in place up to now?! Silly me, of course they haven't... no one will pass unless it can be learnt by rote.

"You are in the fast lane and approaching a car in front of you, who is going slightly slower than you are. Do you:

That made me smile..they could end up at the undertakers ! I think you meant overtake on the righthand side ...or is that a new word in the UK (been away for 30 years now)
Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:30 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty

Come on! As much as I pit and gripe about the French we cannot compare a modern, developed Western European nation and culture with any middle eastern country (except maybe the one that doesn't appear on any maps in the GCC).

50 years ago there were probably no cars here outside of a few Rolls in the Shiekhs fort. Running water and electricity were pretty much unknown too. 50 years in the west we were sending men into space (well, the East as in Russia but that's only because they stole better German rocket scientists that we did!) and curing polio around the world.

N.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:04 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

hehe, Norm. I learnt to drive in France!

I just constantly find it funny how "this place" is keen to pick'n'mix elements from The West but chooses to pass on some of the most fundamental best practice ideas that we've developed through trial and error (and often death). Seriously, I have no idea when a formal driving test was first instituted here, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't that long ago... in which case, they could have just gone the whole hog there and then.

As for "undertaking"... I use it for "overtaking by using a slower lane" so yes, I guess it's overtaking from the right here. Damned dangerous practice.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Canada had it 33 years ago! I had to pass their test after the allowed 6 months on UK licence.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Most people on the road here couldn't drive sheep to grass.......