Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to US - childcare degree / job opportunities

Moving to US - childcare degree / job opportunities

Old Oct 23rd 2010, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

lulaloops is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to US - childcare degree / job opportunities

Both my partner and I are looking at moving to the USA, preferably New York or Boston but not essential on location. I have been doing some research and applied for numerous internships in hospitality as these also cover childcare. However, am currently finding it very unsuccessful and the only other alternative is a live in au-pair. This is impractical as I would be moving to USA with my partner.
I have just graduated from university with a BA (Hons) degree in Early Childhood Studies (with Practitioner status) and in the 3 year course gained experience at a number of placements including special educational schools and nurseries. Prior to university I spent 6 months in a nursery working as registered Ofsted assistant. Despite the fact I have a degree, noone seems interested in hiring me without 2 - 5 years experience in anything! I can't get the experience if I cannot get hired!
So I was wondering if anyone had any tips/advice or any information they can give to really help me, as I am struggling to find any source of employment, be it here in the UK or in my desired location of USA!!!

Thanks in advance,

Louise
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to US - childcare degree / job opportunities

What happened to Australia?

Partner... same sex, opposite sex, married or not married?

Citizenship of you and partner?

What visas were you planning to use?
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

lulaloops is an unknown quantity at this point

Change of plans, looking closer to home for the time being and at first looked like an easier option! But as im finding out not so much!

My partner is male and we are not married but are planning to in the future.
We are both British Citizens and he has IT qualifications as well as 5 years experience in customer service/retail management.

As for visa's we are looking at either the J-1 visa or the H-1B visa if my partner could get sponsored. If all else fails then we'd look at coming over on the Tourist visa for either 3 or 6 months and seek out work once there and then apply for the relevant visa as I know you cant work on the tourist one.

Thanks for a quick response.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't going to be an easy road. There are tens of thousands of IT workers looking for jobs in the USA right now... people who don't need visas and are available to start tomorrow. Your partner will need a lot of luck to get a job offer from a company willing to sponsor an H1. If he were to get an H1, if you were an H4 dependent you wouldn't be able to work. You'd have to find your own path to a visa that allows employment. I don't know if childhood studies is the way.

You are very unlikely to get visitor visas if you are eligible for the 90 day Visa Waiver Program. And you can't "apply for the relevant visa" when you are in the US. Visas are issued by the State Department at consular posts outside the US.

You might want to have a talk with an immigration lawyer and find out how realistic your chances are. Good luck.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 8:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways:_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA

Read that and see what your options are.

IT, unless your OH has niche skills or more experience, it's unlikely in Boston, dime a dozen, but it is a hot sector.

Your qualifications don't mean anything without a lot of experience....and even so, a lot of places around Boston are looking for people with Masters qualifications even for junior positions just because there aren't that many jobs and plenty of people.

Childcare in Boston can easily run you $1500 a month for 3 half days a week.

Best bet, marry a yank, or if your OH works for a company with a US presence and after a few years are willing to transfer him, go that route, but you'd need to be married.

Why the desire for NY or Boston though?
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

You are also aware if your other half gets a H1b you can't work?
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 11:54 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Problem for you is that many of the schools and organizations that deal with special ed are public government entities. They would have to say to the US immigration service "we need a foreigner for this job because no Americans are currently unemployed who are qualified to be teachers.". And on top of that, this government entity has to say we are going to spend an extra $5,000-$10,000 to bring in a foreigner to do this job.

That is not going to happen for the same reasons it would be politically difficult in the UK to do, especially after the cuts announced. Even private schools have more than enough applicants right now.

You will also need to specify more about the IT your partner does. Is it the computer guy in an office or a computer developer / software designer. The computer guy in the office will likely have a harder time than the developer getting sponsorship.

And, as others have mentioned, you basically have to be married if you want to come over together. Partners means basically nothing to US immigration with one exception I don't think you are pursuing.
Old May 6th 2011, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Lookoutapiano is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
You are also aware if your other half gets a H1b you can't work?
Hi, may I ask why this is please? Thanks
Old May 6th 2011, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lookoutapiano
Hi, may I ask why this is please? Thanks
The spouse of an H1B holder gets an H4 visa and you aren't allowed to work on an H4 visa. Why this is so, only the USCIS know I guess. You could do true volunteer work, but not voluntary work that would normally be paid.
Old May 6th 2011, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Thanks, I'm going out there with my new employer who's based in Scotland but setting up a new base there- will that make any difference??
Old May 6th 2011, 11:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I'm going out there with my new employer who's based in Scotland but setting up a new base there- will that make any difference??
What visa will you be on? That is what could make the difference - if it's a H1B then your husband/wife cannot work (unless they get their own visa in their own right) regardless of circumstances, as no work at all is allowed on a H4.

But if it's a different visa that you will be on, then they may be able to work, it really depends.
Old May 6th 2011, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Suggest you start your own thread as your situation looks like it's going to be very different from the OP's
Old May 6th 2011, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks Lisa, apologies!
Old May 6th 2011, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Lisa, apologies!
No need to apologize. If you have questions about visas, suggest you start a thread in the visa immigration section. Lots of knowledgeable people there to answer specific questions