job offer?

Old Oct 20th 2010, 10:58 am
Just Joined

confusedcelt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default job offer?

howdy,
I am a qualified Painter/Decorator from Ireland. Im 28yrs old. Myself and my wife and two kids would love to move to NZ to live and work but lately we've become so confused with the whole visa system. Does anyone else feel the same? I took two eligibility tests; passed one and failed one (whats that about?) I've been in contact with employers over there who seem really keen to offer me a job until I mention my lack of a visa and then I usually get the silent treatment. Then I'm told that I would need a job offer to ensure my visa application is successful! Hows that work?! If I was offered a job, how long would it take me to get a visa and get there. No employer hires staff like a year in advance! Anyway, sorry for the rant Maybe one of you guys could alleviate some of my confusion. I'd b really grateful!
Old Oct 20th 2010, 8:09 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: job offer?

Originally Posted by confusedcelt
Maybe one of you guys could alleviate some of my confusion. I'd b really grateful!
Nope, it is a chicken-and-egg situation unless you have an occupation on either the Short Term Skills Shortage List or the Long Term Skills Shortage List and migrate under the Skilled Migrant Category.

Otherwise you will need an employer to show there are no kiwi's to do the job before he can offer it to you and you can apply for a visa on the back of the job offer.

I'm afraid unless NZ has a shortage of your skils it is difficult to emigrate.

No idea what the elegibility tests are you are talking about, there is a points indicator on the NZIS website along with the above two lists for you to check...
Old Oct 20th 2010, 9:57 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: job offer?

Hi Confused celt and welcome to this little NZ Be forum.

Yes. Most all of us have felt mighty confused at the outset. My first ever question way back in 2003/2002 was " Which comes first. Job offer or visa ?"

With the temporary work visas it is a job offer first. I do understand how that feels though as we found that most NZ employers don't seem to understand that and somehow expect an NZ work visa to be in place without NZ work

You've said that NZ employers are keen to employ you which is , at least, one good thing as the trades here are slow at the moment due to recession. however, this trade is not in shortage here at this moment in time, so any NZ employer wanting to give you a job must prove to NZIS that there is no NZ citizen or Permanent Resident that could do that work.

With regard to emigrating . As you are a fully qualified tradesman , you could apply to emigrate to New Zealand under the skilled migrant category.

Try the New Zealand Immigration Points Indicator

How many points could you possible claim ? You need a minimum of 100 but the more points the better. A job offer will always help an application. More points for starters and also New Zealand Immigration then know you will have an income to help you settle.

If you felt you had enough points to submit an Expression of Interest and this was selected, then you could be offered Permanent Residency. If you hadn't a job to go to though, NZIS might decide to offer you Work to Residency instead. This is where you are given time to enter the country to find a permanent job.

Of course, one of these employers that are keen to employ you might just get to understand, with your help, that it is a job offer first for a work visa . They might also be prepared to show NZIS their NZ vacancy adverts etc to prove that there is no-one else here to take that job. If you had that, then you could submit an application for a temporary work visa to get you here and working. Process times for that vary but can be done in just a few weeks.

Once here you would then go on to apply for PR.

A Note:

I have just read on the NZIS website that there could be early changes to the immediate shortages lists . You need to keep your eyes up for that one and if your trade appears then an NZ employer would be free to offer you work regardless that you are from overseas.

you are probably all the more confused now but I hope this helps a little or at least starts to.
Come back with any thoughts or questions at all.