Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Travelling in India from Goa

Travelling in India from Goa

Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

jagger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Travelling in India from Goa

As i said before only buy tickets from the railway station or in goa Pourverim oppiste farmers choice
Old Jun 21st 2010, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by k800mer
Noni, our driver (and car), hired for 10 days at 2500 rupees a day, not cheap I know, looked after us, saw to it that we were not ripped off, even bought beer for us as the price to him was a lot less than the price to us. I know travel by train is an adventure but I like my comfort now and the idea of spending many hours on a train then having to find an hotel with my luggage is not my cup of tea. A few years ago my OH went by train from Goa to visit a friend in Trivandrum, Kerela because it was cheap (he loves saving money!) but it took him 18 hours, he had to sleep on a hard board and although food was provided it was the same food at each meal.
The air-con, 2-tier compartments are quite comfortable. You get sheets and a blanket. On the Shatabdi and Rajdhani express trains the food is Ok and sometimes really good. Other trains take your own. Always take extra coffee powder unless you like weak, milky coffee. For women (Indian and European) the main problem on trains is the toilet, the Indian-style usually reasonably clean but on a moving train, holding on to something to stop yourself falling and managing your clothes is quite difficult.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Further to above, I forgot to mention that many rail stations are not elderly or disabled friendly, particularly New Delhi. Long flights of stairs, some only partly railed. The taxi area is about 100 yards from exit and you have to climb over 2 low concrete walls to get there. There are porters for luggage but you still need to do the climbing (at speed) to follow them.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 8:57 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat
Further to above, I forgot to mention that many rail stations are not elderly or disabled friendly, particularly New Delhi. Long flights of stairs, some only partly railed. The taxi area is about 100 yards from exit and you have to climb over 2 low concrete walls to get there. There are porters for luggage but you still need to do the climbing (at speed) to follow them.
Thanks Bipat - that's me out then
Old Jun 28th 2010, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

We've always liked Mumbai, and this time we got an unplanned extra week there thanks to the volcano. One big shock this trip was the taxi's - there's been some shakeup (which I think includes a realistic re-pricing) and they're charging strictly as per meter (or meter plus price card). Not all drivers speak english but if you stick to well known landmarks (railway stations, main streets etc.) it works OK. I think the museums and art galleries are a waste of time, and a rip-off at feringi prices, so most of my recommendations are for food & drink (surprise!). We always stay in the Fort area but you can walk to a lot of places from there (most of the guides / maps have an historical Bombay walk and I recommend doing it).
Cafes & Restaurants:
Britannia - run by an eccentric octogenarian who's obsessed by Her Maj. - don't miss the berry Pilau; also try the fiery ginger beer (N.B. no alcohol)
Universal - nicely restored building, cheapish beer, tasty food - try the Ghormeh Sabzi or the Dhanzak.
Both of the above are in the Ballard Estate area.
Cafe Mocambo - civilised drinking and eating
Brighton Cafe Bar (also now called something else) - chill out with a beer, food also OK
Apoorva Restaurant - popular with business types - excellent food and service in a relaxing atmosphere, try seafood and 'chicken stew with appam'
The Parsi Lunch Home (not sure of exact name) on Rustam Sidhwa Marg. Set daily menus, tasty and v. cheap (no alcohol).
Street 'darbar' food - delicious - anything from a snack to a full 'plate' (if it's deep fried it's probably safe!)
The above are all close to DN Road / Gunbow St. (not far from CST).
Don't miss Leopolds have a cold drink and watch the world go by - also a wide range of food (massive portions).
Finally, don't miss cricket on the Maidan's, pavement bookshops, etc. etc.

AndyD 8-)#

P.S. Give Crawford Street Market a miss - we went there in the 70's and it was immaculately clean and fascinating, it has now suffered the benign (?) neglect that has been the fate of most of the remnants of the British Raj - and the touts are even worse than they were back then.
Chor Bazaar is worth a visit, but the 'restored' antique furniture is as expensive as it is in Goa.
For computers and stuff take a taxi to the Grant Road area.

Last edited by a_f_d; Jun 28th 2010 at 1:09 pm. Reason: p.s.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 2:39 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a_f_d
We've always liked Mumbai, and this time we got an unplanned extra week there thanks to the volcano. One big shock this trip was the taxi's - there's been some shakeup (which I think includes a realistic re-pricing) and they're charging strictly as per meter (or meter plus price card). Not all drivers speak english but if you stick to well known landmarks (railway stations, main streets etc.) it works OK. I think the museums and art galleries are a waste of time, and a rip-off at feringi prices, so most of my recommendations are for food & drink (surprise!). We always stay in the Fort area but you can walk to a lot of places from there (most of the guides / maps have an historical Bombay walk and I recommend doing it).
Cafes & Restaurants:
Britannia - run by an eccentric octogenarian who's obsessed by Her Maj. - don't miss the berry Pilau; also try the fiery ginger beer (N.B. no alcohol)
Universal - nicely restored building, cheapish beer, tasty food - try the Ghormeh Sabzi or the Dhanzak.
Brighton Cafe Bar (also now called something else) - chill out with a beer, food also OK
Apoorva Restaurant - popular with business types - excellent food and service in a relaxing atmosphere, try seafood and 'chicken stew with appam'
The Parsi Lunch Home (not sure of exact name) on Rustam Sidhwa Marg. Set daily menus, tasty and v. cheap (no alcohol).
Street 'darbar' food - delicious - anything from a snack to a full 'plate' (if it's deep fried it's probably safe!)
Don't miss Leopolds have a cold drink and watch the world go by - also a wide range of food (massive portions).

AndyD 8-)#

P.S. Give Crawford Street Market a miss - we went there in the 70's and it was immaculately clean and fascinating, it has now suffered the benign (?) neglect that has been the fate of most of the remnants of the British Raj - and the touts are even worse than they were back then.
Chor Bazaar is worth a visit, but the 'restored' antique furniture is as expensive as it is in Goa.
For computers and stuff take a taxi to the Grant Road area.
excellent piece - hope we get many more. Thanks
Old Jul 4th 2010, 1:38 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jagger
As i said before only buy tickets from the railway station or in goa Pourverim oppiste farmers choice
booking on line is very easy and saves loads of hassle
Old Jul 4th 2010, 1:44 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by a_f_d

AndyD 8-)#

well chosen food joints. Would add Cafe Basilico to the rear of the Taj does some rather yummy continental type stuff and not too expensive.
For an absolute splurge afternoon tea in the Taj Lounge looking over the Gateway !!!
Old Jul 4th 2010, 1:56 pm
Back from India

Originally Posted by Honey Bee
Where have you travelled in India?
Please can you give names of places, good hotels, and value for trips from Goa for a week.
I have done Otty then goa so imagine can be done the other way! train to Coimbatore change at Mangalore. Exciting bus ride to Otty or a more sedate is hiring a car. The toy train can be quite slow but a bit novel. Old Taj hotel in Connor on the way to Otty quite quaint only eaten there but looked good!!

Mysore - short train ride from bangalore - green hotel is an old palace eco hotel
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

andrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really nice

I recommend reading Paul Theroux's "Ghost Train To The Eastern Star". Has some insights into India, including train travel.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by andrewrh
I recommend reading Paul Theroux's "Ghost Train To The Eastern Star". Has some insights into India, including train travel.
Have sorted out our trip to Delhi.
If you want to book trips, internal flights or your flights home try Make my Trip, they are very competitive and don't charge for credit cards. They are in Panjim 18th June Road, above the Titan shop.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by noni
Have sorted out our trip to Delhi.
If you want to book trips, internal flights or your flights home try Make my Trip, they are very competitive and don't charge for credit cards. They are in Panjim 18th June Road, above the Titan shop.
Noni, you know that I am not one to be negative! but be very careful in the tourist areas of Delhi, particularly the rickshaws on Janpath area, you may not end up where you want to go. The criminals of Delhi are much more efficient than those of Goa.
That said most people are helpful, so with care you will have a great time.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat
Noni, you know that I am not one to be negative! but be very careful in the tourist areas of Delhi, particularly the rickshaws on Janpath area, you may not end up where you want to go. The criminals of Delhi are much more efficient than those of Goa.
That said most people are helpful, so with care you will have a great time.
Thanks for that, but we have our own driver and car. We will be doing the Triangle.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for that, but we have our own driver and car. We will be doing the Triangle.
That's great, when are you going?
I am at this moment in the process of booking a trip in March/ April to Udaipur, Jodhpur and then Amritsar to see the Golden Temple. Wrong time of year but need to wait until after an important birthday here. We will then be back to Goa end of April.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

erinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really nice

Well you will have to tell us all exactly how to do things, and where to go in India so we don't make the same mistake again - over to you J5
Have done great trips in Mumbai. Stayed in small hotles in Colabar near the stAj and Indian Gate and taken taxis to see all the sights. It is a wonderful city. Have flown up but also once took the train first class {in the monsoon )l That was an experience and wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.