Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bricklaying in Canada

Bricklaying in Canada

Old May 26th 2010, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

pia2989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bricklaying in Canada

Hi, hoping someone can help me please. I've only recently started looking into this and don't know where to start.

My boyfriend is a fully qualified bricklayer, he's 21 with 4 years experience, has his NVQ Level 3 in Bricklaying and his CSCS card.

He was recently laid off work and is in the process of claiming for unfair dismissal (his solicitor said he should end up with about £5000 compensation).

There isn't a lot of work in our local area. He was thinking about spending his compensation money on a work van and tools, however like I said there doesn't seem to be that much work about. We were thinking of using the money to help in finding him work in Canada.

Is there a lot of bricklaying jobs out there in Canada? What's the pay like? How does he go about finding a job over there? I would be going with him, I have experience in office / sales work.

I think we are initially looking at going over there for a couple of years, to maybe make a bit of money. Is this possible? Or would wages just cover the cost of living over there?

We also have two dogs that we would need to take with us - done a bit of research and it seems simple enough to take them.

Can anyone give me any advice or pointers in the right direction please?

Thanks

Pia
Old May 26th 2010, 12:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bricklaying in Canada

Originally Posted by pia2989
Hi, hoping someone can help me please. I've only recently started looking into this and don't know where to start.

My boyfriend is a fully qualified bricklayer, he's 21 with 4 years experience, has his NVQ Level 3 in Bricklaying and his CSCS card.

He was recently laid off work and is in the process of claiming for unfair dismissal (his solicitor said he should end up with about £5000 compensation).

There isn't a lot of work in our local area. He was thinking about spending his compensation money on a work van and tools, however like I said there doesn't seem to be that much work about. We were thinking of using the money to help in finding him work in Canada.

Is there a lot of bricklaying jobs out there in Canada? What's the pay like? How does he go about finding a job over there? I would be going with him, I have experience in office / sales work.

I think we are initially looking at going over there for a couple of years, to maybe make a bit of money. Is this possible? Or would wages just cover the cost of living over there?

We also have two dogs that we would need to take with us - done a bit of research and it seems simple enough to take them.

Thanks

Pia
Hi Pia, and welcome to the forum.

Not a clue about bricklaying in Canada I'm afraid (although a quick search will probably reveal previous threads on the subject), but your first step really needs to be the visa. You may be able to go for one year (on a Bunac visa in 2011), but the only way to go for two years is if one of you can get a job offer/LMO.

You don't say if you live together or not, but to be able to go together on one visa application you'll need to have done so for a year or more.

The Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) has loads of info including sections about Job Hunting, taking pets, visas etc so grab a cuppa and start reading!

Good luck.
Old May 26th 2010, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Thanks

Pia
When my dad come over to canada as a bricklayer - non of his qualifications transferred and he had to re qualify under the relevant provincial "ticket" My dad holds all the UK qualifications, alberta and ontario ones.

Good luck
Old May 26th 2010, 3:12 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a lot of bricklaying jobs out there in Canada?
Not a lot, especially out west. More bricklaying done in the east, but not sure if that is even the case anymore. Residential, there are a lot of stick on rocks being done, commercial construction may have more opportunity. I would say very limited opportunities here.
Old May 26th 2010, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Pia
Hi
Welcome to the forum
your OH could check the Canadian job bank website here's the link
http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/prov_eng.as...=50&Student=No

All the best with any future visa application
Old May 26th 2010, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Kirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant future

Hi im a bricklayer here in calgary i will pm you or pm me. At the moment there isnt much work about here. If you have a job in england i would stay untill the work picks up here. But im talking about calgary not sure about other areas of canada.
Old May 26th 2010, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Hi

You don't say where you are looking at going in Canada? Do you have any preferences or are you openminded about where you want to end up?

It is worth considering that the nature of bricklaying is that it is mainly an outdoor trade and that construction in parts of Canada almost close down in the winter due to weather conditions (i.e. cold) in so far as external trades are concerned. Some parts such as Vancouver have mild winters but the construction methods mean that there is far less masonry done than in the UK.

In my honest opinion you might struggle to find work based in the UK - Canadian's prefer face to face contact when considering employing an individual. More importantly be careful of "employment agencies" guaranting "work" if you pay them a fee of some sort - there is a chance you will be ripped off so tread carefully.

I don't think that looking at coming over here for a couple of years to make a bit of money is really an option unless you are really lucky! Bricklaying is an art and good bricklayers are worth their weight in gold but the work is limited dependent on area and seasons. Initially I would think that wages would just cover the cost of living over here. If you are ambitious and want to work for yourselves, you might find it easier as the paperwork in the UK regardiung H&S and other similar areas to start up is definitely greater.

With regard to the compensation in the UK associated with claiming for unfair dismissal again be careful of solicitor making "promises" - if you are looking at a tribunal claim you don't really need a solicitor and (assuming you are not insured) their fees might well exceed what you are awarded. Also if his ex-employer goes bankrupt (as a lot of subcontractors are at the moment) you "could win the fight but lose the war". If you would like any other help, PM me (I have personal experience as both employee and employer and might be able to give you some free impartial advice that might assist.

The dogs might be an issue as it would restrict (assuming that you are looking at renting rather than buying) the properties that Landlords might consider you suitable for. As a landlord, I wouldn't want a dog in one of my properties due to the risk of damage and additional wear and tear they will cause.

Sorry if the above appears negative but there are a lot of reasons to consider Canada but it definitely isn't a place to just come to without doing lots of research and I would defo recommend a recon trip to see if you actually like it.

Yelkcub
Old May 26th 2010, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Kirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant future

The winter can be a problem we dont work if it gets below -20. The work area is covered in and heated day and night. So you can work in a t shirt inside.
Old May 26th 2010, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kirsty John and Dominic
The winter can be a problem we dont work if it gets below -20. The work area is covered in and heated day and night. So you can work in a t shirt inside.
Getting there could be a problem too! Still as some people in UK think that all Canadians are Eskimos, you could always use your huskies and sleigh!
Old May 27th 2010, 5:59 am
Just Joined

brian208 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are very few jobs for bricklayers in BC. Almost all houses are timber framed. Bricklayers are often called masons in job ads.

You could get work installing drywall (=plasterboard), if you have experience, but don't expect a high wage, $20 per hour if you're lucky, and the cost of living is quite high in Metro Vancouver.

Check job vacancies on craigslist (google craigslist and select a city of your choice).

Vancouver and Vancouver Island have a much more UK-like climate, with cool wet winters, rather than bitterly cold and dry like much of Canada. The temperature never falls as low as minus 20 (although it can feel like it somtimes if the wind is the wrong direction!)
Old Jul 9th 2010, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

bobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nice

Hi I am bricklayer in Ontario, Canada and have been here for about 20 months now.
Gonna be brutally honest. If you think you can come over here both of you find jobs and actually save money then you are living in la la land. There is work here just no money.
Sorry.
If you wanna find a good place to live, raise kids and let your dogs run then start applying.