Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Hi all! Moving to spain and have questions! (Alicante)

Hi all! Moving to spain and have questions! (Alicante)

Old Apr 6th 2010, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi all! Moving to spain and have questions! (Alicante)

Originally Posted by Tigerpoeton
!!WOW I pay £30 for sky tv, phone and broadband!!, I know its been much discussed before but its looking like spain is waaaay more expensive than the uk!
For some things yes, for other things it is much cheaper. Lots of threads on that!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Tigerpoeton is an unknown quantity at this point

To be honest I know a lot of British when they move abroad like home comforts and shop at main supermarkets and dont really look around too much but we like going to markets and buying local produce and meat, We also wont associate with the British too much either (Other than for work) as part of the reason we are leaving is because of the people, I think if we have spanish friends and live a real spanish lifestyle our income should be more than our outgoings
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

1debbie2 has a brilliant future1debbie2 has a brilliant future1debbie2 has a brilliant future1debbie2 has a brilliant future1debbie2 has a brilliant future1debbie2 has a brilliant future1debbie2 has a brilliant future

I pay 29.50 for broadband and 12.50 for the phone, all my calls to uk are free. As regards to driving over in your van. When we moved here we bought a van to bring all our stuff over, we then went onto sell the van here to someone who drove to the uk and back all the time. And we sold the van for a profit. My husband is self employed here and before we moved we spent hours reserching the area, advertising in the area and how many others did the same trade. The best advice i can give you is to make as many contacts as posiible. We have been here 18 months now and hubby has built up a really good reputation. Most of his work now comes from reccomendations. Good Luck.
ps i wish there was a mobile mechanic in our area
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

Originally Posted by cricketman
Broadband and a phone line will cost you about 70 euros/month. Like other posters have said be careful before you rent as out in the campo there isnt much broadband availability
nope sorry, we have a telefonica bundle. ADSl 3mg broadband, and phone, 34 euros a month.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:08 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

To be honest I know a lot of British when they move abroad like home comforts and shop at main supermarkets and dont really look around too much but we like going to markets and buying local produce and meat, We also wont associate with the British too much either (Other than for work) as part of the reason we are leaving is because of the people, I think if we have spanish friends and live a real spanish lifestyle our income should be more than our outgoings
Hi

You'll need to be fluent in spanish to find friends who are Spanish. It's not easy to become friends and it will take years (if at all).

Sure acqaintances but not friends...

You'll need to be friends with Brits to build up a network for work purposes - but would imagine if you're not geniunely friendly you wont go far.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

..........oh and if you register with the tax, nie and oficinia de empleo (dole office) but you wont get any dole, but when you COME OFF THE DOLE fter 3 months, i am lead to believe you become eligible for grants (free money) to get you off the dole.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

That all sounds better!!!, I thought 70E was a bit steep!

I know what your saying about the dole but I do resent the people here who just scrounge so I wouldnt want to do it myself, It is worth consideration though if it helps with the business as its almost like a mini loan as the money will be payed back!

As for friends, I am considered a friendly person and although theres nothing wrong with english friends we want to be considered part of the spanish community as apposed to the British community, Unfortunatly most of the British people are d*cks!, We already speak reasonable spanish and both learn very very quickly so I would expect to be fluent within 6 months

Im glad to hear there is scope for mobile mechanics and from the sounds of it I should do fairly well as people seem to want mechanics :-)

Getting excited
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:18 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Why would they ask for that? You dont get asked over here for id for parts lol!?
But you wont be over there .... you'll be over here!
I get asked for my NIE number on a lot of stuff when I buy. Its the governments way of keeping tabs on you.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
But you wont be over there .... you'll be over here!
I get asked for my NIE number on a lot of stuff when I buy. Its the governments way of keeping tabs on you.
My local parts centre deliver to spain !!!

I wont cheat the system though, I would pay anything I have to leave this hellhole
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

As for friends, I am considered a friendly person and although theres nothing wrong with english friends we want to be considered part of the spanish community as apposed to the British community, Unfortunatly most of the British people are d*cks!, We already speak reasonable spanish and both learn very very quickly so I would expect to be fluent within 6 months
What is it with Brits slagging off fellow Brits? It seems the one's writing on here are the only sensible ones, the only one's willing to adapt etc. I'm always reading this, twice today in fact, and I'm sure they are about, but are there no honest, decent, Spanish speaking, well intergrated ones? Why are the one's moving out so different, so much better? I suspect your reasonable Spanish is somewhat less than reasonable, and I'd be amazed if you were fluent in 6 months. But there's nothing like ambition.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

My local parts centre deliver to spain !!!

I wont cheat the system though, I would pay anything I have to leave this hellhole

good on yer, youve got the right way of thinking.

Without going into my life story, we were from Plymouth (Very rough and violent Royal navy city), yes had its good bits, but mostly sh*te and that included a large portion of the people there.

Since being in spain , life has been almost surreal to say the least but i'm much happier here, healthier, thinner (!), and more relaxed (although my Mrs would say i have a long way yet to go on the last point).

Its NOT going to be easy, to say the least but if you want to do it enough, youve got enough bunce put by, and more if needed, you wont get endless greif from your folks and relatives for doing it, then go for it. You've got youth on your side too. The Spanish are a great bunch. Where in the UK do total strangers say "Hello, how are you?" to you in the street, and they really mean it too!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by agoreira
What is it with Brits slagging off fellow Brits? It seems the one's writing on here are the only sensible ones, the only one's willing to adapt etc. I'm always reading this, twice today in fact, and I'm sure they are about, but are there no honest, decent, Spanish speaking, well intergrated ones? Why are the one's moving out so different, so much better? I suspect your reasonable Spanish is somewhat less than reasonable, and I'd be amazed if you were fluent in 6 months. But there's nothing like ambition.
Ok well I dislike (Not all) Fellow brits because I am from the 'Knife crime' generation where the country has been filled with kids hating and stabbing each other, We dont talk to each other, If someone in the Uk saw another getting beaten to death chances are they would walk away and ignore, Probably due to the fear of having that done to themselves, If I walk past a group of people my own age chances are good I will get a kicking for looking at them.

Not being funny with you but am I supposed to like living like that??

My reasonable spanish IS reasonable as I grew up with spanish speaking relatives so I can hold a basic conversation.

Im not here to argue Im here for advice, End of conversation.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:45 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Some hellhole that enabled you to get 7000 together at the age of 21

There are some moblile mechanics on the CDS but they have fully equipped large vans. Maybe better to try something else that you don't need to rely on the British seeing as you think they are Dicks
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by agoreira
What is it with Brits slagging off fellow Brits? .
oh hi forgot to say i spoke to the BNP and they would love to have you on their forum. You need to go to bnp.org, its a Mr Hitler you need to speak to, or a Mr Mosley. They admire your patriotism.

Good luck.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:46 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

!!WOW I pay £30 for sky tv, phone and broadband!!, I know its been much discussed before but its looking like spain is waaaay more expensive than the uk!
That all sounds better!!!, I thought 70E was a bit steep!

I know what your saying about the dole but I do resent the people here who just scrounge so I wouldnt want to do it myself, It is worth consideration though if it helps with the business as its almost like a mini loan as the money will be payed back!

Im glad to hear there is scope for mobile mechanics and from the sounds of it I should do fairly well as people seem to want mechanics :-)

Getting excited
People who dont want to be called dicks won't!

Well thats just wonderful, thanks very much .... we're all dicks!!!
You wont make many friends here that way, after coming on asking for our help and advice ... we're dicks. Wonderful ... thanks! Good luck with it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.