Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

3+ years in and missing blighty

3+ years in and missing blighty

Old Mar 30th 2010, 12:14 am
Account Closed

kshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of light
Default 3+ years in and missing blighty

Me and kiwi wife moved to nelson Jan 2007, after 18 months realised it wasn't for us. Like a lot of NZ it is cliquey, and remote, not to say expensive.

We now live at Snells Beach about an hour north of Auckland. Beautiful spot great neighbours and for us probably as good as it gets. So why am I bored and frustrated with life here ?

Trying to start a business is much more difficult than the UK, trying to open biz accounts with companies is like pulling teeth.

People NEVER respond to phone messages or emails.

If people are putting a few bucks in your pocket they seem to think that you are their bonded slave !

The food and construction industries are each run by 2 cartels who fix prices across the board I've encountered 900 % mark ups on building materials personally !

Roads are frequented by morons who can't drive but think they can.

The media seem to be in the pockets of big buisness therefore none of the above is ever broached by the likes of 'Fair Go' instead they go for the small fry.

House construction - what a joke, they sell glorified garden sheds for 6 figure sums and they cany even keep the rain out !

Leaky homes - came about because of the greed of big biz and the ineptitude of government - of course everyone is denying responsibility in true kiwi fashion.

Sport - very popular, because there's bugger all else to do !!

Insurance companies - excellent at taking your money and finding ways of not paying out on claims.

Customer service - an alien concept here.

Clean Green NZ - total bulls**t, if there's a buck to be made then it WILL be made just see what happens with the mining.

Fishing - stocks are rapidly decreasing so get out there while you can !

Pig hunting - it's what the hillbillies do when they've run out of relatives to beat up or rape.

Domestic violence - NZ is up there with the best of em.

All Blacks - how can the best in the world never win the world championship ?

I know I sound negative but I've found NZ to be like a dumb blonde, great to look at but very little else.

I'm giving it 2 more years, if it doesn't improve for us then its back to the traffic jams, bombers and civilisation !
Old Apr 1st 2010, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3+ years in and missing blighty

Originally Posted by kshurey
Me and kiwi wife moved to nelson Jan 2007, after 18 months realised it wasn't for us. Like a lot of NZ it is cliquey, and remote, not to say expensive.

We now live at Snells Beach about an hour north of Auckland. Beautiful spot great neighbours and for us probably as good as it gets. So why am I bored and frustrated with life here ?

Trying to start a business is much more difficult than the UK, trying to open biz accounts with companies is like pulling teeth.

People NEVER respond to phone messages or emails.

If people are putting a few bucks in your pocket they seem to think that you are their bonded slave !

The food and construction industries are each run by 2 cartels who fix prices across the board I've encountered 900 % mark ups on building materials personally !

Roads are frequented by morons who can't drive but think they can.

The media seem to be in the pockets of big buisness therefore none of the above is ever broached by the likes of 'Fair Go' instead they go for the small fry.

House construction - what a joke, they sell glorified garden sheds for 6 figure sums and they cany even keep the rain out !

Leaky homes - came about because of the greed of big biz and the ineptitude of government - of course everyone is denying responsibility in true kiwi fashion.

Sport - very popular, because there's bugger all else to do !!

Insurance companies - excellent at taking your money and finding ways of not paying out on claims.

Customer service - an alien concept here.

Clean Green NZ - total bulls**t, if there's a buck to be made then it WILL be made just see what happens with the mining.

Fishing - stocks are rapidly decreasing so get out there while you can !

Pig hunting - it's what the hillbillies do when they've run out of relatives to beat up or rape.

Domestic violence - NZ is up there with the best of em.

All Blacks - how can the best in the world never win the world championship ?

I know I sound negative but I've found NZ to be like a dumb blonde, great to look at but very little else.

I'm giving it 2 more years, if it doesn't improve for us then its back to the traffic jams, bombers and civilisation !
Most of what you say is true. But there are lots of things to do other than sports. There are great libraries, loads of different clubs and other great things to see and do. I know this as I HATE sport other than swimming and cycling solo which I enjoy.

The ins. co thing is the same the world over and I do find ins. cheaper here than in the UK.

Service is total crap in this country..other than bar and restaurant staff. The rest are useless with a few exceptions.

I too love the sound of Nelson but the remotness has always worried me and what I could get for my $$ house wise. What I have in Palmy would be X 2 price wise in Nelson.

Don't talk to me about the govt. Due to their ineptitude and the greed of certain fat cat unmetionables we lost $100k in the finance house **** up. The govt could have and should have protected the average Joe but they could not be arsed. I play the ball and pay every cent of my overseas earnings. I am 100% open and honest yet a huge portion of my family's wealth was stripped bare by what are essentialy double dealing, sleazy, greasy, untrustworthy salesmen. Business men with the morals of a pole cat. Me bitter? Naah. Too right I am bitter. Its all of us average people that have to pay every bill on time or we are threatened with excess charges yet the fat cats can walk away from all their responsibilities with out even turning a glance leaving the lives of 100's of thousands in ruin.

I like NZ inspite of all the shit I have had since I have been here. But it is a country full of issues and problems..just like the UK but I prefer this bucket of shit to the UK one.

Last edited by Genesis; Apr 1st 2010 at 9:58 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

kshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Genesis
Most of what you say is true. But there are lots of things to do other than sports. There are great libraries, loads of different clubs and other great things to see and do. I know this as I HATE sport other than swimming and cycling solo which I enjoy.

The ins. co thing is the same the world over and I do find ins. cheaper here than in the UK.

Service is total crap in this country..other than bar and restaurant staff. The rest are useless with a few exceptions.

I too love the sound of Nelson but the remotness has always worried me and what I could get for my $$ house wise. What I have in Palmy would be X 2 price wise in Nelson.

Don't talk to me about the govt. Due to their ineptitude and the greed of certain fat cat unmetionables we lost $100k in the finance house **** up. The govt could have and should have protected the average Joe but they could not be arsed. I play the ball and pay every cent of my overseas earnings. I am 100% open and honest yet a huge portion of my family's wealth was stripped bare by what are essentialy double dealing, sleazy, greasy, untrustworthy salesmen. Business men with the morals of a pole cat. Me bitter? Naah. Too right I am bitter. Its all of us average people that have to pay every bill on time or we are threatened with excess charges yet the fat cats can walk away from all their responsibilities with out even turning a glance leaving the lives of 100's of thousands in ruin.

I like NZ inspite of all the shit I have had since I have been here. But it is a country full of issues and problems..just like the UK but I prefer this bucket of shit to the UK one.
I knew I wasn't alone !!
Due to the fact that the wife was out I had to vent to someone, this seemed like a good place. On the whole I like it here but sometimes the greed and lack of professionalism get me down. As I write this I'm in my lounge I'm 200 m from the beach and have a panoramic view of the bay and Kawau island. Not bad for a building site grunt !
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I,m in the building game (sort of) as well and u are right about the mark up,s they are obscene, what i can,t understand why in such a small population some kind of protest hasn,t been organised it shouldn,t be hard to rally the troops there arn,t that many of them
Also just paid $4.80 for 2 litre of milk somebody at Fonterra wants F*****G as well

Neil
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Kiwi's just take the crap without complaining. You complain or try to change things, the first words uttered are whinging Pom.

The op has stated issues that get under his skin all I recognise so much, we are spending our last week in Chch city center it's like the wild west with cars instead of horses.

I was feeling quiet sad about leaving NZ on Thursday when I visited the kids school. It was great to see how popular and well liked they were, I know it will be hard in the UK for them.

But just a few nights in Chch reinforced the decision to leave.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Kiwi's just take the crap without complaining.
Yes, because they're conditioned (read 'bullied') from a very early age to do so. "Whinging Pom" is pretty effective conditioning too, wouldn't you say? If too many people didn't "just take the crap without complaining", too many OTHER people's 'Kiwi Lifestyle' would be jeopardized. That famous 'lifestyle' can only exist for the most part at the expense of others.

But just a few nights in Chch reinforced the decision to leave.
Ah. What can I say.....

Last edited by Black Sheep; Apr 2nd 2010 at 11:12 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 5:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Black Sheep
Yes, because they're conditioned (read 'bullied') from a very early age to do so. "Whinging Pom" is pretty effective conditioning too, wouldn't you say? If too many people didn't "just take the crap without complaining", too many OTHER people's 'Kiwi Lifestyle' would be jeopardized. That famous 'lifestyle' can only exist for the most part at the expense of others.

Ah. What can I say.....
This country is very conservative, to many greedy people and far to many people accepting the status quo. Unfortunately things arn't going to change any time soon, being a remote Island, we're at the mercy of the power brokers. Does anyone remember the 'RIP OFF BRITAIN' revelations ? If only they knew !!!!
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

!
GREAT!!!! Thats what I was gonna say....

comparision is bad.. UK vs NZ... but thats what I do every moment. terrible eh? I can't help. My head is full of UK vs NZ... all the time. f**king hell I hate this kind of (my) life. Wish I didn't know all the shit about UK/Nz or never experienced both countries or didn't understand English at all... sometimes just being ignorant could be happier..

same shit different bucket

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 3rd 2010 at 11:15 am.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 3+ years in and missing blighty

I read this thread with interest, we escaped NZ in Jan I did have a good job but can agree with everything you all have said,

UK is home its not perfect but by god we do not appreciate what its got enough we as a country do not sing its praises enough, ok the weather is not always wonderful but I do not want it hot when I work and then appalling at weekends which is what it was like for the last 5 months we were in NZ, I got fed up of going to the cinema!

For sun I can fly short distance low cost to the Med and enjoy, I can enjoy far more culture and history I can have choice here to
still no job yet but we will get there good luck anyone returning!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by janeyk
I read this thread with interest, we escaped NZ in Jan I did have a good job but can agree with everything you all have said,

UK is home its not perfect but by god we do not appreciate what its got enough we as a country do not sing its praises enough, ok the weather is not always wonderful but I do not want it hot when I work and then appalling at weekends which is what it was like for the last 5 months we were in NZ, I got fed up of going to the cinema!

For sun I can fly short distance low cost to the Med and enjoy, I can enjoy far more culture and history I can have choice here to
still no job yet but we will get there good luck anyone returning!
Another thing occured to me recently. I bought a picture book, about 50 images of great places in NZ, milford sound, rotorua etc etc. The only places in the book that I've actually been to happened during the 2 holidays we had here before emigrating. Whats the point in living in 'Gods country' when you're priced out of seeing the good stuff ?
And what's with the architecture here ? Are all kiwi architects on mind bending drugs or what !

Last edited by kshurey; Apr 12th 2010 at 7:31 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing occured to me recently. I bought a picture book, about 50 images of great places in NZ, milford sound, rotorua etc etc. The only places in the book that I've actually been to happened during the 2 holidays we had here before emigrating. Whats the point in living in 'Gods country' when you're priced out of seeing the good stuff ?
And what's with the architecture here ? Are all kiwi architects on mind bending drugs or what !
You don't come to NZ for architecture aye? It's the youngest country on earth..or one of them. Man has only been on the islands for about 1000 years. Developed man for the last 250 odd. Europe has 1000s of year history and development behind it. Mind you the US which is another juvenile country has some lovely buildings aye? So again my theory is wrong. Coat time.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 2:44 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure I know what you mean about being "priced out of seeing the good stuff"? Do you mean travelling and accommodation? The places you mention as an example from holiday guides are scenic? I agree that entry to "amusements" and activites seem high, we paid $800+ in Rotorua for the kids to go on 3 things? But accommodation wise I find NZ reasonable. Especially outside of school holidays if you go self-catering.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

You don't come to NZ for architecture aye? It's the youngest country on earth..or one of them. Man has only been on the islands for about 1000 years. Developed man for the last 250 odd. Europe has 1000s of year history and development behind it. Mind you the US which is another juvenile country has some lovely buildings aye? So again my theory is wrong. Coat time.
I don't expect things to be like Europe, I just can't see how building houses that look like industrial units can be pleasing to the eye. The classic kiwi villa looks great and works well so why abandon it ? THEY NEVER LEAKED !!!
Old Apr 13th 2010, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

According to some research by Oxford University, NZ has only been inhabited for approx 700 years. Wish I could remember where I saw this research mentioned as I'd like to have a read of the full research.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I like the quirkiness of the architecture in NZ. Yes there are some places that I find as ugly as sin but at least NZ isn't made up of identical housing estates like England has become.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.