Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Important Information for Brits - changes to the passport service in the UAE

Important Information for Brits - changes to the passport service in the UAE

Old Mar 18th 2010, 5:59 am
Just Joined

Brit Embassy AUH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Important Information for Brits - changes to the passport service in the UAE

Changes to British Passport Service in UAE

From 1 August 2010, applications for full validity passports for British Nationals will no longer be processed in the British Embassy in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Please read this notice to find out what’s happening, why the change is necessary and how it affects you.

What is changing and how does it affect me?

From 1 August 2010, all passport applications from UAE will be processed and printed centrally in the Passport Processing Centre in Dusseldorf. These changes are being implemented throughout the Gulf region in 2010.

Until that date you should continue to submit your passport applications at the British Embassy in Abu Dhabi or Dubai.
Our website will be updated to include further instructions on how to submit your application to the Processing Centre in Dusseldorf. If you plan to travel in the next 2-3 months you are advised to check this website regularly for advice and information.

Why is this happening?

These changes are part of a global initiative to streamline and modernise the UK’s overseas passport operation. The UK remains one of the few countries printing passports in Embassies and Consulates abroad. This is expensive to do and is less secure as we have to transport blank passports around the world. Our aim is to reduce the cost of running the operation, while improving security and maintaining a high standard of customer service.

How long will this new service take?

You should allow up to 4 weeks to submit your application before travelling.

We aim to process straightforward passports within 10 working days upon receipt in Dusseldorf of the correct documentation and payment. Applications from first time applicants will take longer. Please ensure you allow extra time for delivery at both ends of the process.

After 1 August 2010, if you need to travel urgently you can contact the British Embassy in Abu Dhabi or Dubai to purchase an Emergency Passport.

Has this happened elsewhere?

Yes. By the end of 2010 there will be 7 Regional Passport Processing Centres (PPCs) worldwide. Six PPCs, including Dusseldorf, are already in place covering Europe, The Americas, Australasia and Southern Africa. Comments from customers include:

“Very user friendly……No problems very smooth……….Quicker than anticipated…”

The Cost

If you apply for a British passport overseas you can expect to pay:
- For your passport;
- The cost of sending your application to the Passport Processing Centre;
- For the secure return of your passport and documents.
We will publish detailed instructions on how to submit your application.

What should I do now?

Until 1 August 2010 you should continue to submit your passport applications at the British Embassy in Abu Dhabi or Dubai.
You are advised to:

- Keep your passports in a safe place at all times;

- Regularly check your passport’s validity, particularly when planning future trips;

- Submit applications for new passports or renewals in good time. Don’t leave it until the last minute.

Our website address is www.ukinuae.fco.gov.uk
Old Mar 18th 2010, 6:15 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Important Information for Brits - changes to the passport service in the UAE

"Quicker than anticpated" ? Compared to what? Certainly not the current turnaround times...

If passports get lost when at the Dubai consulate (& yes my husband's was) then I am not optimistic about it having to be sent to Dusseldorf.

-
Old Mar 18th 2010, 6:25 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Important Information for Brits - changes to the passport service in the UAE

Our aim is to reduce the cost of running the operation, while improving security and maintaining a high standard of customer service.

I know I'm not in the ME but these new procedures already hit Italy last year. No more passports from Rome. We have to use Paris. Costs have gone up for us now that we have to use a courier service and there is no high standard of customer service. It was already an expensive service.

One poster in Italy using the new Paris services recently had a lot of problems.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=656264
Old Mar 18th 2010, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

This is a recipe for disaster. I shall renew mine now!
Old Mar 18th 2010, 6:46 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Why Dusseldorf? If we are having to send our precious passport documentation by courrier, why not send everything to the UK?
Old Mar 18th 2010, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

and you have to allow 4 weeks...ridiculous...

MM, xx
Old Mar 18th 2010, 7:20 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

And because they take so long, if you have to travel anywhere in a hurry, which happens when you live overseas, you have to pay for the cost of an emergency passport too.

Apart from handling a few visas, what on earth does the Embassy do?

-
Old Mar 18th 2010, 8:17 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Why Dusseldorf? If we are having to send our precious passport documentation by courrier, why not send everything to the UK?
Good point. At least there people would get help in English and not have to struggle with a TNT Traco website all in French / Italian and Italian personnel that don't speak English.

I guess it would all be in German for you guys out there.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Good point.

Surprised is wasn't set up in Israel, they appear to be very efficient at making British passports!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 18th 2010, 9:46 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Just got mine renewed at the Embassy in Tripoli. It took exactly one week.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 11:13 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

The first renewal I had out here, I braved the UK embassy. It took a week, was a pain, and generally not much fun.

The second, I flew to the UK for a weekend and used the same day service. The price (not including flights ) was similar and the service significantly better.

My next renewal will be in 6 months max.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
And because they take so long, if you have to travel anywhere in a hurry, which happens when you live overseas, you have to pay for the cost of an emergency passport too. Apart from handling a few visas, what on earth does the Embassy do?
-
Still waiting for the Brit Embassy poster to reply to that one.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 8:37 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

I got my sons in Gambia overnight and mine in Kuwait in 3 days and a free 6 months extra because it was full before it ran out. It would have been longer if I'd put it in on a Thu because they don't seem to work too hard if at all on Fridays.

I don't care about the cost of the passport - if they are trying to economise then put the price up. If they are worried about the security then become more competent.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

matt-e will become famous soon enoughmatt-e will become famous soon enough

Why is this happening?

These changes are part of a global initiative to streamline and modernise the UK’s overseas passport operation. The UK remains one of the few countries printing passports in Embassies and Consulates abroad. This is expensive to do and is less secure as we have to transport blank passports around the world. Our aim is to reduce the cost of running the operation, while improving security and maintaining a high standard of customer service.
As everyone else has said if all of this is to be processed in one central place it should be in the UK, not Germany!

Also, if the aim of this is to reduce costs then why is Radio 2 News reporting this morning that the cost of passport renewal is set to increase by an additional 500 AED? The British passport renewal fees are already some of the most expensive in the world!
Old Mar 24th 2010, 10:07 am
Just Joined

notanmp is an unknown quantity at this point

IMHO having lived in many countries the British Embassy/Consul service is of little help and makes you pay through the nose for aservice already paid for in taxes. But heh, don't get bitter, get even; live abroad and don't pay tax

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.