Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Idiot proof route to drive from UK to Italy

Idiot proof route to drive from UK to Italy

Old Feb 11th 2010, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

SaddleTramp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Idiot proof route to drive from UK to Italy

Now I 'm back in UK, and gonna drive to Italy, whatg is the best route?

Idiot proof mind, I asked someone, guess what the reply was "drive thru France to Switzerland,, it costs 19 Euros for the road tax there, Mont Blanc tunnel is free but is boring..."

Now, France and Switzerland are pretty big place, I mean, there's loads of roads...

Can anyone give some good clear routes? With toll prices?

Thanks in advance...
Old Feb 11th 2010, 10:00 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Idiot proof route to drive from UK to Italy

http://maps.google.co.uk/

Put your start and finish points in and it will work out a route
Old Feb 12th 2010, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

davehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SaddleTramp
Now I 'm back in UK, and gonna drive to Italy, whatg is the best route?

Idiot proof mind, I asked someone, guess what the reply was "drive thru France to Switzerland,, it costs 19 Euros for the road tax there, Mont Blanc tunnel is free but is boring..."

Now, France and Switzerland are pretty big place, I mean, there's loads of roads...

Can anyone give some good clear routes? With toll prices?

Thanks in advance...
Firstly i highly recommend the French autoroutes. They are a little pricey but silky smooth, NO potholes and very little traffic.
Not sure where in Italy you need to go but we did London to Bologna last september (all autoroute).
We will be doing it again this year for definate so this is the way we are going.
By the way, buy a really good road map as we would have been stuffed without it.(Recommend the "AA Big Easy Read France" from amazon)
The trip is quite easy but if you wrong turn!(we did) a good map will get you back easy. (All my distances are "roughly" from map).
Oh yeah and AA european breakdown cover is brilliant! wont go anywhere without it.

From Calais head for the A26 (autoroute) aiming towards Reims..(will be signposted).
After 160+ miles head towards Dijon (Lyon if it is signed) by getting on the A4 (for 20 miles), then A26 (for 55 miles),then A5 (for 55 miles), then A31 (for 65 miles, passing Dijon).
After passing Dijon its onto the A6 (for 45 miles)towards Lyon (definately signed).
Way before you get to Lyon take the A40, which takes you almost to the Monte Blanc tunnel (not sure who told you it was free? when i last looked online it's about £35 toll just for that stretch ).
Road leading into the tunnel is N205.
Out the tunnel into Italy you'lle be on the A5 heading for Torino. then wherever you are heading from there.
This route skimms Switzerland but doesn't go in.
Our trip last year ,although we went further down through france and through the Tunnel De Frejues (£28) and onto Torino, the toll cost from Calais to Bologna was £98 and fuel in my Peugeot 306 diesel (58mpg average) was £100. 1080miles.
Was a long way to drive in one go so we stopped overnight in a Hotel Formule 1 near Macon in France. £30/room, sleeps 3.
They are pretty cheap, pre book online and turn up any time, there is always someone there. Each room has a double+single bunk and a sink and tv, shared toilet/shower and for £3 odd a help yourself b/fast. No restaurant or anything but snack and drink vending machines . Very basic but clean.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:01 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to read the posts on this older thread too about driving over from the UK.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=623474
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:10 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't mind paying the road tax coming thru Switzerland and entering Italy via Como is a really scenic route. The other way is calais to Nice and then down the coast thru Genova and that way - no tunnel tolls on that route. Really depends on time you have too. Mont blanc is €44 return (within 7 days - so Sat to Sat for example). It's slow going through as you queue for the tolls and the speed thru is low and enforced. So this 11km can take over an hour to do...
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Have to say that the Frejus tunnel is quicker than Mont Blanc and quieter. Depends where you're going though.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer Calais to Luxemberg, Germany, Austria, Brenner Pass, and down into Italy that way. Far cheaper in Tolls. Not much good if you are going to Western Italy though.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

Agree with Margaret M when we came I just put in fastest route in tom tom and it took me belgium, luxemburg, etc etc and it was a lot lot cheaper.. and the roads and stops very good...

I would invest in a tom tom with GOOD european map in
Old Feb 12th 2010, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

We usually do Turin to St. Malo - so no use to you ! However last year we did Turin to Dover (and back) and it was fine. Dover to Calais then down to Reims/Dijon/Chambery/Frejus and into Turin. French motorways are very good and theres lots of cheap accomodation (B&B chains/Formula One/Etap etc)
Personally (and this is just a sissy point of view ) - I didnt like the Mont Blanc tunnel - because coming through from France into Italy, the approach is on a motorway high up on a sort of viaduct and I dislike heights
Old Feb 13th 2010, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Patty
We usually do Turin to St. Malo - so no use to you ! However last year we did Turin to Dover (and back) and it was fine. Dover to Calais then down to Reims/Dijon/Chambery/Frejus and into Turin. French motorways are very good and theres lots of cheap accomodation (B&B chains/Formula One/Etap etc)
Personally (and this is just a sissy point of view ) - I didnt like the Mont Blanc tunnel - because coming through from France into Italy, the approach is on a motorway high up on a sort of viaduct and I dislike heights
We prefer this route too if we ever drive. For us, with the kids, there are loads of laybys with little parks/ toilets/ picnic areas set back from the road that are ideal for kid stops!! I think it helps we're coming into Torino though Patty from Frejus.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 7:28 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Oo! I went on that viaduct coming back from Geneva, in a coach, in pitch black! Things like that don't normally bother me but I was glad I couldn't see the drop at the side! I've never seen anything like it before! I'm guessing it was built to allow more traffic both ways! It is a sight to be seen!!
Old Feb 13th 2010, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

It is definitely worse doing it in daylight. I made my son drive that bit - and it was snowing at the time.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 7:44 am
The Original Red Head!

Lol! I saw it in daylight from the side that winds around the mountain and it was definitely a "what the..?" moment! Then coming back I realise it was the way back! The coach driver rattled over, overtook cars, whizzed around the bends!! Definitely an interesting experience and probably to be repeated at Easter!
Old Feb 13th 2010, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Good luck. Looks like I will be flying back to the UK now, instead of driving, so will miss out on all that - although I usually go Brenner Pass, Austria way anyway. Don't worry Bricwood, I'm checking in a suitcase so can still bring the Marmite
Old Feb 13th 2010, 10:06 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by indiebird
We prefer this route too if we ever drive. For us, with the kids, there are loads of laybys with little parks/ toilets/ picnic areas set back from the road that are ideal for kid stops!! I think it helps we're coming into Torino though Patty from Frejus.
Or for big kids who couldn't resist a go on those roller slides. Ouch!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.