Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Long term car hire rental or leasing in spain

Long term car hire rental or leasing in spain

Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice
Default Long term car hire rental or leasing in spain

Hi, does anyone know anything about long term car hire or leasing in spain?

The time is almost upon us to get shot of our lhd uk car and i dont really want to have to draw out a load of our savings and pay some dodgy bloke cash notes just to get into an old banger that would have cost a fraction of the price in the UK.

......to which all other drivers will think nothing of reversing into you and cracking your bumpers and headlights just cos they havent a clue how to park.

........or driving into the side of you as the spanish dont know how to use roundabouts....

...oh god i could go on but.....................

I read somewhere that the banks can arrange it, dont know if that is correct?

....and do you have to have an NIE number simply to rent a car for a long term (i.e. not a holiday rental of a car). Also read that you can either rent as an individual or a business but all of the cost of rental inc IVA is tax deductible, dont know if that is correct either?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

carter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to all
Default Re: Long term car hire rental or leasing in spain

Car leasing in Spain is called renting - I leased a Lexus for a year or so, but got fed up with the attention that it caused! Be warned that there are no cheap leasing deals in Spain because the fleet discounting that goes on in the UK doesn't happen here.

These are the people I used: http://www.arval.es - they were much cheaper than the banks who wanted almost as much for a Fiesta, but I don't know what things are like now.

50% IVA is tax deductable if the taxman assumes you use a car 50% for business use. I was advised that claiming 100% is possible if you genuinely use it 100% for work - easier to justify if it's a commercial vehicle.

Oh, and I think I've told you before you cannot claim a cent if you haven't got your NIE. Your NIE number is your VAT number and if it doesn't appear on an invoice you can't claim that invoice.

In the end I got rid of the Lexus and paid a some dodgy bloke cash notes and bought an old banger. I've never worried about car parking, windscreen cleaners, pot holes or roundabouts since
Old Jan 27th 2010, 4:33 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

........or driving into the side of you as the spanish dont know how to use roundabouts.

Sorry but I am going off thread, but its an important point.

The law in Spain about driving on a roundabout is different from probably what most most people think.

It is not the same as UK.

A person turning left at a crossroad with a roundabout can legally use the nearside lane (right hand lane) on the approach and all the way round the roundabout.

A person doing the same but using the off-side (left hand lane) to go around the roundabout has no right to signal right as they approach the turn off road and then cross into the nearside lane (right hand one) to turn off the roundabout.

If there is a car using the inside lane (nearside lane)they must go around the roundabout again, until they are allowed to move into the lane they want or until there is no other traffic in that lane.

I hope this makes sense (not that it is sensible). If not please check out the Spanish Guía de circulación (highway code).
Old Jan 27th 2010, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:02 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever the Spanish Highway Code may say, if you stay in the nearside lane and don’t turn right at the first two exits, you are likely to be rammed at the second exit by a Spanish driver wanting to go straight over.

If a Spanish driver wants to go straight over a roundabout, he approaches it in the overtaking lane and doesn’t signal, meaning he is going straight over. If he wants to turn left, he signals left on entering the roundabout, and on passing the second exit signals to turn right.

The oncoming cars will have stopped to allow vehicles already on the roundabout to have precedence.

I’ve never seen a Spanish driver staying in the nearside lane as he goes round the first two exits of a roundabout, they leave that to the foreigners. And it’s dangerous.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:36 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by HBG
Whatever the Spanish Highway Code may say, if you stay in the nearside lane and don’t turn right at the first two exits, you are likely to be rammed at the second exit by a Spanish driver wanting to go straight over.

If a Spanish driver wants to go straight over a roundabout, he approaches it in the overtaking lane and doesn’t signal, meaning he is going straight over. If he wants to turn left, he signals left on entering the roundabout, and on passing the second exit signals to turn right.

The oncoming cars will have stopped to allow vehicles already on the roundabout to have precedence.

I’ve never seen a Spanish driver staying in the nearside lane as he goes round the first two exits of a roundabout, they leave that to the foreigners. And it’s dangerous.
Well I did say, "The law in Spain about driving on a roundabout is different from probably what most most people think." (As a former Met Police driver) I did not say it was sensible or logical !

But it was mentioned in the Euro Weekly News last week, or the week before, by 'Juan' the local police officer who writes there and also this week on Talk Radio by Brian Deller, author of Motoring in Spain. That caused me to check my Guia.

Last edited by johncar61; Jan 27th 2010 at 5:40 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:46 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carter71
Car leasing in Spain is called renting - I leased a Lexus for a year or so, but got fed up with the attention that it caused! Be warned that there are no cheap leasing deals in Spain because the fleet discounting that goes on in the UK doesn't happen here.

These are the people I used: http://<span style="color:Purple">ht...rval.es</span> - they were much cheaper than the banks who wanted almost as much for a Fiesta, but I don't know what things are like now.

50% IVA is tax deductable if the taxman assumes you use a car 50% for business use. I was advised that claiming 100% is possible if you genuinely use it 100% for work - easier to justify if it's a commercial vehicle.

Oh, and I think I've told you before you cannot claim a cent if you haven't got your NIE. Your NIE number is your VAT number and if it doesn't appear on an invoice you can't claim that invoice.

In the end I got rid of the Lexus and paid a some dodgy bloke cash notes and bought an old banger. I've never worried about car parking, windscreen cleaners, pot holes or roundabouts since
Damn they're expensive to rent. I know you have maintenance and tyres, etc included but even still it's a lot of money.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

all advice taken on board cheers. Thinking about nipping down to the aeropuerto in Valencia actually. Costa levante news reported http://www.costa-news.com/index.php?...513&Itemid=119 numbers drastically down so maybe the car hire companies dotted around the airport permiters will give us a good deal, even if we have to come back every few weeks and swap cars?? I did a check online and it sees you can rent a compact car (vw golf, fiesta et al) for around £1900 for 6 months) which is about 300 ish a month i think?

...and if he interest rates carry on going in our favour (we still get our income in sterling), then could be an idea? (Plus dont have to pay 400 euros a year car insurance, nor any repair bills itv costs or SUMA)
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of companies here in Spain where you can rent a car at a daily rate from €11/day on a UK passport with credit card, placcy driving licence and green licence papers. That's €11/day for everything (except excess mileage).

Works out far more cheap than buying when you take all into account (depreciation being the main consideration in new car purchase). Insurance, breakdown cover - all included!

€4,000 a year - not cheap, but... cars are never cheap to run.

Personally, I much prefer to walk!

e2a; You have to return car every 3 months.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer
Plenty of companies here in Spain where you can rent a car at a daily rate from €11/day on a UK passport with credit card, placcy driving licence and green licence papers. That's €11/day for everything (except excess mileage).

Works out far more cheap than buying when you take all into account (depreciation being the main consideration in new car purchase). Insurance, breakdown cover - all included!

€4,000 a year - not cheap, but... cars are never cheap to run.

Personally, I much prefer to walk!

e2a; You have to return car every 3 months.
thats a VERY good deal!

again, advice and comments apreciated.

reckon its going to be easier to rent than try and keep a car on the road over here and being new here i dont think i would get HP to buy a car
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

perdone, donde esta el careterra de Valencia?

Last edited by painterhombre; Jan 27th 2010 at 7:10 pm. Reason: 1234
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:18 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johncar61
........or driving into the side of you as the spanish dont know how to use roundabouts.

Sorry but I am going off thread, but its an important point.

The law in Spain about driving on a roundabout is different from probably what most most people think.

It is not the same as UK.

A person turning left at a crossroad with a roundabout can legally use the nearside lane (right hand lane) on the approach and all the way round the roundabout.

A person doing the same but using the off-side (left hand lane) to go around the roundabout has no right to signal right as they approach the turn off road and then cross into the nearside lane (right hand one) to turn off the roundabout.

If there is a car using the inside lane (nearside lane)they must go around the roundabout again, until they are allowed to move into the lane they want or until there is no other traffic in that lane.

I hope this makes sense (not that it is sensible). If not please check out the Spanish Guía de circulación (highway code).
I wonder what the record is for the number of times going round aroundabout is????????
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

SHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud of

We went around one roundabout eight times before we managed to get off.

Can anyone better this?

Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SHERGAR
We went around one roundabout eight times before we managed to get off.

Can anyone better this?

I wouldn't say that too loudly if I were you!!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by valenciatim
I wouldn't say that too loudly if I were you!!
who did they manage to get off with?

Were they any good?!

Seems a hell of a dangerous way to "pull" someone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.