Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

For the financial experts (and the rest of you too): Dubai defaults on debt (sort of)

For the financial experts (and the rest of you too): Dubai defaults on debt (sort of)

Old Nov 30th 2009, 4:17 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For the financial experts (and the rest of you too): Dubai defaults on debt (sort

interesting take on things in the banned broadsheet...

The bigger prize is political change for the region. Abu Dhabi wants to take control culturally and politically. It knows that Dubai, under the glitzy reign of the Makhtoums, expanded rapidly and in ways that Abu Dhabi felt to be un-Islamic. It is hoping that the loss of face among Dubaians and among the world’s business communities will provide the impetus for a change of ruler.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle6936966.ece
Old Nov 30th 2009, 4:28 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For the financial experts (and the rest of you too): Dubai defaults on debt (sort

Originally Posted by Aikman7981
Ok, I'm the idiot... what happened in Sharjah?
More recently there were blackouts in Sharjah because of a lack of power - simply the growth caused by increasing accommodation build and the development of industrial zone 5 onwards. The consequent electricity demand exceeded the supply. A number of (foreign would you believe) companies were forced to come off the grid (i.e. were disconnected) and rent generators.

It happens where there is rapid growth. Building power stations takes much longer than houses and factories.

Same thing in RAK too I recall.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 4:31 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
interesting take on things in the banned broadsheet...

The bigger prize is political change for the region. Abu Dhabi wants to take control culturally and politically. It knows that Dubai, under the glitzy reign of the Makhtoums, expanded rapidly and in ways that Abu Dhabi felt to be un-Islamic. It is hoping that the loss of face among Dubaians and among the world’s business communities will provide the impetus for a change of ruler.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle6936966.ece
I actually think that rather than replacing this head of state, we should be replacing some of the heads of'..the world's business communities..', some of whom were responsible for the mess.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 4:35 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Including Sheikh Mo, possibly the most convincing snake oil salesman of the past century.

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
I actually think that rather than replacing this head of state, we should be replacing some of the heads of'..the world's business communities..', some of whom were responsible for the mess.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 4:35 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
totally agree but maybe the Ruler of AD is wanting to get rid of Rulers of the other Emirates and he rule them all?
Old Nov 30th 2009, 4:36 am
Roving Donny fan.

Location: Doncaster, UK. But not for long!!! Where's my visa!!!
glynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really nice

So when the creditors come in and make cut backs are they gonna get rid of the people who are lazy,overpayed and a burden to the companies or is that illegal,but not as illegal as owing billions?
Old Nov 30th 2009, 4:38 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
it will never get to that
Dubai had a major power out a few years ago in the middle of summer...no power for around half a day. I remember the apartment got so hot I sat in my car with my boy and the housemaid to get A/C....

They said it was due to technical difficulties and that it wouldn't happen again.

N.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 4:40 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Dubai had a major power out a few years ago in the middle of summer...no power for around half a day. I remember the apartment got so hot I sat in my car with my boy and the housemaid to get A/C....

They said it was due to technical difficulties and that it wouldn't happen again.

N.
I also remember it but it wasn't in the summer it was the day we flew to the Maldives and I didn't get a shower before we flew!! it was either the April or the December.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Rod Liddle is at it again. Can't see The Times being back on Dubai news stands any time soon.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle6936316.ece
Old Nov 30th 2009, 4:50 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by benzonar
Rod Liddle is at it again. Can't see The Times being back on Dubai news stands any time soon.

I wonder if he has even been here? to use the Metropolitan as an example is rather boring.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 5:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by benzonar

We should all have taken up Omar Hussain / Snakebrits spam on having the Times home delivered!
Old Nov 30th 2009, 5:11 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk

N.
Was it June 2005? We were on rooftop pool in Sheraton and could see the smoke from the power station as it went up.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 5:13 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Was it June 2005? We were on rooftop pool in Sheraton and could see the smoke from the power station as it went up.
you may well be right, Mitten was either 11 months which would be the April or 13 months which would have been the JUne, I can't remember! Mother of the Year eh
Old Nov 30th 2009, 5:20 am
Banned

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Handy that they don't have nuclear power stations then.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 6:03 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

According to BBC news on Radio 2 (UK) shares dropped 7% in UAE on opening of stock market.................On radio 92 news in Dubai no mention

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.