Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

2years on and it's still crap.

2years on and it's still crap.

Old Nov 7th 2009, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

welshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to all
Default 2years on and it's still crap.

can't afford it.
Don't like it.
Kids hate it.
both work full time just to pay bills.
Cant afford price to get out of here.

nuff said.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 4:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2years on and it's still crap.

Originally Posted by welshwales
can't afford it.
Don't like it.
Kids hate it.

nuff said.
Sorry to hear it ww. How's the wife going on with Madwifery in NZ. I gave it up as a bad job when my APC ran out at the end of March. Told the Midwifery council why I would NOT be renewing it in no uncertain terms

Hope things either change miraculously for you & you suddenly fall in love with NZ or you win the lottery & can return home. Good luck
Old Nov 7th 2009, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

welshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to all

The wife hates it. as you know the system over here sucks, she feels like she cant do her job in the hospital and is just left to clean up after the lmc's. She is looked down on by the maori folk even she is trying to help deliver a baby she is still looked on as a 3rd class citizen. The wage for a rm is pants, and if she were to go lmc she would be putting her life on call 24/7... which wouldnt work as we have two kids.
I do days she does nights, we meet in a carpark in the mornings where the kids get out of my car and into hers she then takes them to school then bed.
I come home she gets up and goes to work....

I know there are people in this world worse off than us but all we want is a little bit of a life...
Old Nov 7th 2009, 7:05 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever thought about moving South, houses are way cheaper, less new housing estates, and all the trappings that Tauranga has, there is a chap i know from UK whos wife has just left the Midwifery school as a lecturer and after a few years at the DHB, she now has her own business, with a couple of other midwifes, doing it them selves, seems to be booming, i hear of so many people who live up your way who struggle with finance, IMHO i recon people can do with less down south and things seem more achieveable down here in the deep south.

Hope things pick up for you soon
Old Nov 7th 2009, 8:50 am
Banned

jillyfar is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh well I do hope things work out for us, you have been very lucky to be able to move to new Zealand many people can not. What will be so much better in the UK?

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 10th 2009 at 7:00 am. Reason: Please note: This is a troll.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2years on

still loving it, although NZ is not for everybody, ut we have no regrets of the big move. Got the final RRV in the passports last week after the two year thingy.

Have seem most of the south islan in this time and a good chunk of the north island, and I am even doing the grape ride next year ........ so to sum it up very happy here
Old Nov 7th 2009, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jillyfar
Oh well I do hope things work out for us, you have been very lucky to be able to move to new Zealand many people can not. What will be so much better in the UK?
Looking forward to your update in 2 years' time Jillyfar. What naivety and smugness! It's their update they can say what the heck they like.

Thanks for the refreshing honesty Welshwales...we are not all 100% Happy clappy around here, although I understand it feels like that sometimes. Hope it picks up for you.

You will be Jilly far....from anywhere else when you get here...so good name.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

can't afford it.
Don't like it.
Kids hate it.

nuff said.
hi we lived an worked in tauranga, and on one wage and loved,,

if you really want to leave and cant afford it go to uk embassy they will arrange for you to come back then all you have to do is pay them back
sell every thing in nz then you only have flights to cover
Old Nov 7th 2009, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

The wife hates it. as you know the system over here sucks, she feels like she cant do her job in the hospital and is just left to clean up after the lmc's. She is looked down on by the maori folk even she is trying to help deliver a baby she is still looked on as a 3rd class citizen. The wage for a rm is pants, and if she were to go lmc she would be putting her life on call 24/7... which wouldnt work as we have two kids.
I do days she does nights, we meet in a carpark in the mornings where the kids get out of my car and into hers she then takes them to school then bed.

I know there are people in this world worse off than us but all we want is a little bit of a life...
I think your wife & I would get on well . I have thought of writing to the RCM Journal about NZ midwifery, just to give potential applicants a realistic view of the maternity system here. Perhaps I'll get round to it one of these days.
Given your work situation, I can see why it's not working for you . That stinks.
Maybe take concretepumps advice. Feel for you.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

The Maternity system for a start!
Old Nov 8th 2009, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

1. The wages
2. Being able to afford a dentist/doctor
3. being able to afford new clothes
4. having some shops to buy clothes
5. a better education for my kids
6.better roads
7. not being raced down the road by a 15 year old in a wrx that needs no insurance
8.less of a gang culture ( in and out of school/work)
9. being a first class citizen ie 1st maori 2nd kiwi 3rd expat
10. friends and family
11.having the major supermarkets compete with each other not two cartels and thats it.
12. being able to see my wife for more than 5mins in a car park every morning
13. not living in a country with one of the highest domestic violence rates in the world.
14.heating
15. double glasing
16. if i need an ambulance i shouldnt be worrying if i can afford the $85 charge for the call out
17. when i give my 10 year old my 13 year olds home work i dont expect her to say i did this in primary school in wales.
18. free education, whatever option my daughter choses there is a fee.

You dont know the half of it.

Last edited by welshwales; Nov 8th 2009 at 5:58 am.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 6:03 am
Just Joined

sunray has a brilliant futuresunray has a brilliant futuresunray has a brilliant futuresunray has a brilliant futuresunray has a brilliant futuresunray has a brilliant future

1. The wages
2. Being able to afford a dentist/doctor
3. being able to afford new clothes
4. having some shops to buy clothes
5. a better education for my kids
6.better roads
7. not being raced down the road by a 15 year old in a wrx that needs no insurance
8.less of a gang culture ( in and out of school/work)
9. being a first class citizen ie 1st maori 2nd kiwi 3rd expat
10. friends and family
11.having the major supermarkets compete with each other not two cartels and thats it.
12. being able to see my wife for more than 5mins in a car park every morning
13. not living in a country with one of the highest domestic violence rates in the world.
14.heating
15. double glasing
16. if i need an ambulance i shouldnt be worrying if i can afford the $85 charge for the call out
17. when i give my 10 year old my 13 year olds home work i dont expect her to say i did this in primary school in wales.
18. free education, whatever option my daughter choses there is a fee.

You dont know the half of it.
I couldn't agree more, I've just read this out to my husband who is now on the floor with laughter!! It's so nice to read posts like this, not everyone is happy in NZ!
Old Nov 8th 2009, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Just being honest
We knew we would never be rich over here, but to be poor and have to pay thru the arse for everything....well
We all sat here looking at iceland frozen food website last night and couldnt believe how cheap things were over there in comparison to here.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds way too much like our life in the U.K
Old Nov 8th 2009, 8:08 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by concretepump

If you really want to leave and cant afford it go to uk embassy. They will arrange for you to come back then all you have to do is pay them back.

Sell every thing in nz. Then you only have flights to cover
This solid, practical post deserves karma Concretepump.

Link to the British High Commission in Wellington. It will do no harm at all to have the conversation with them. That is what they are for.
If you do choose to make the call, it might be useful to others here to know what advice and help you were offered.

Originally Posted by sunray
It's so nice to read posts like this, not everyone is happy in NZ!
That's true. It can be hard to achieve the balance on a forum which should allow people to write both that they are happy or that they are unhappy with their NZ lives ,without those in an opposing camp somehow crowding in .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.