Immigration Policy

Old Oct 16th 2009, 9:58 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Immigration Policy

just found this in the NationNews (local paper) online. http://www.nationnews.com/news/local...y-copy-for-web

I was able to find the paper on the foreign.gov.bb website..

trying to read it and understand it is a totally different animal.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Immigration Policy

Very interesting; thanks for sharing.

I love the proposed processing times. I'll eat my shoes whenever that actually happens.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
Very interesting; thanks for sharing.

I love the proposed processing times. I'll eat my shoes whenever that actually happens.
Ok, trying to make sense of a rather complicated document.....

Someone tell me if this seems right/wrong:

Work permits - proposed to be largely as before? Evidence required that a Bajan person doesn't have the skills required for the specific post

Residency - if you "make a substantial investment" and/or "employ a large number of CARICOM nationals", you're welcome for a period of 3-5 years and you'll be allowed to work within your business too?

Retirement - the proposal is to only give permanent residency, or "Special Entry" to those over 60. Retirement is defined as being over 60 now, anyone younger than this MAY be approved for this category but only for periods of 3-5 yrs, reviewable until the age of 60 when it can be made permanent

Does that sound about right, or have I misunderstood anything?
Old Oct 17th 2009, 7:56 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Sunnie im really grateful for you posting this - as im in UK post surgery I am a bit out of the loop with the news up there so your post was brill to read.

After digesting the 100 page + doc i must say that it is added a lot of clarity to why my personal situation has taken a long time to resolve as i think they are looking to stall until they can at least get a handle on the reception of these new policies.

Has anyone heard at all about the likely enforcement date of these proposed changes?
Old Oct 18th 2009, 10:04 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

HI Dipity.. glad you are back on line and trust you are recovering well.

you must be to have even attempted to digest that document.. I have not even begun to read it. I did have a local friend (actually Canadian who's Grandparents are Trinidadian, but lived in Grenada.. is that confusing.. so her Caricom roots mean nothing to her living her).. anyway.. after all that.. she told me that in that document it not reads that a child born here of non-citizen parents, DOES NOT retain citizenship. I know this exists in other countries, but would be new for here.

I'm not sure of a time frame, but these are proposals and I think, somewhere, possibly in the nation article there is an e-mail where you can write to express your views concerns over the issues..

I'll keep my eyes and ears out for more.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 10:44 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
HI Dipity.. glad you are back on line and trust you are recovering well.

you must be to have even attempted to digest that document.. I have not even begun to read it. I did have a local friend (actually Canadian who's Grandparents are Trinidadian, but lived in Grenada.. is that confusing.. so her Caricom roots mean nothing to her living her).. anyway.. after all that.. she told me that in that document it not reads that a child born here of non-citizen parents, DOES NOT retain citizenship. I know this exists in other countries, but would be new for here.

Hi Sunnie yeah im feeling great now and will be back up in 10 days.

You are right the document states that as in the UK, citizenship will only be automatic for a new born that has one or more parents with permanent status in Barbados. Any claims for citizenship where the father is absent on the birth certificate and is to be added later would need to be verified with DNA.