Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Advice on some suburbs please - Melbourne & Brisbane

Advice on some suburbs please - Melbourne & Brisbane

Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice
Default Advice on some suburbs please - Melbourne & Brisbane

We're doing our reccie in a couple of weeks to Melbourne and Brisbane and have narrowed down some suburbs in our rental price range (from realestate.com) and wondered if anyone could give me any info on them? Thanks in advance

Melbourne:
Altona/ Altona Meadows
Point Cook
Carrum Downs
Cranbourne
Chelsea
Springvale
Bentleigh

Brisbane:
Inala
Springfield Lakes
Collingwood Park
Bellbird Park
Goodna
Indooroopilly
Mt Gravatt
Sunnybank Hills
Woodridge
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:15 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on some suburbs please - Melbourne & Brisbane

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
Brisbane:
Inala
Springfield Lakes
Collingwood Park
Bellbird Park
Goodna
Indooroopilly
Mt Gravatt
Sunnybank Hills
Woodridge
This is an interesting mix of suburbs for a rental price range. A couple of them are generally considered (by the locals in Brisbane) to be the pits - Inala & Woodridge. Indooroopilly on the other hand is desirable and expensive so I'm not sure how they send up in the same price range?

I'm not really familiar with the western suburbs mentioned above but I used to live in the Mt Gravatt area and think its a good one.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by bcworld
This is an interesting mix of suburbs for a rental price range. A couple of them are generally considered (by the locals in Brisbane) to be the pits - Inala & Woodridge. Indooroopilly on the other hand is desirable and expensive so I'm not sure how they send up in the same price range?

I'm not really familiar with the western suburbs mentioned above but I used to live in the Mt Gravatt area and think its a good one.

I typed in a price range up to $350 p/w for 3 and 4 bedroom houses and made a list of most that came up, maybe the Indooroopilly one was a one off.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

I typed in a price range up to $350 p/w for 3 and 4 bedroom houses and made a list of most that came up, maybe the Indooroopilly one was a one off.
Springfield Lakes - went there for the first time yesterday. Seems pleasant enough, 'new' suburd close to the motorway, seems to have all the ameniteis you require, very small building plots though, 400 square metres seemed about the norm, so they've certainly jammed them in. As you're renting would it assume its not an issue.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne:
Altona/ Altona Meadows
Point Cook
Carrum Downs
Cranbourne
Chelsea
Springvale
Bentleigh

I know of a few of these.

Carrum Downs, not the best area, has a large industrial area to one side.

Cranbourne ok in parts, I have a couple of mates who live there, but I wouldn't

Chelsea not a bad area, on the main train line and beach.

Springvale, very ethnic with a lot of asian shops etc.

Bentleigh, quite a nice area and quite central for the city, beach etc.

Don't know too much about the western side of the city or as I call it "the dark side"

John
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 12:57 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
A couple of them are generally considered (by the locals in Brisbane) to be the pits - Inala & Woodridge.
I'll agree with that assessement.

How far out of Brisbane CBD does the OP want to be ?

Old Oct 3rd 2009, 1:13 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane:
Inala DON'T DO IT!
Springfield Lakes Good if you can get work there. Bad commute to Bris
Collingwood Park Not a great commute to Bris, plus it is close to some bad suburbs, lots of spill over crime from the neighbouring suburbs
Bellbird Park Don't know it
Goodna Similar to Coll Park
Indooroopilly Nothing bad to say about it
Mt Gravatt same as Indooroopilly
Sunnybank Hills same as indooroopilly
Woodridge Not nearly as bad as Inala. I used to work there, but I wouldn't live there
#
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 1:17 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Check rental prices in Toowong, Taringa, Kenmore, Chapel hill etc.

they should be around the same as Indooroopilly.

If there is a big disparity then your Indooroopilly prices are probably way out.

G

Last edited by Grayling; Oct 3rd 2009 at 1:29 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 1:28 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

No doubt Indro' stands out in that list as WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than any of the others!

I'd suggest thats a freak statistical anomoly when you were looking! (There mus be a really dud 3bed house in Indro' somewhere! )
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 1:31 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
No doubt Indro' stands out in that list as WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than any of the others!

I'd suggest thats a freak statistical anomoly when you were looking! (There mus be a really dud 3bed house in Indro' somewhere! )
This must be it!

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1254533366

..the only one that comes up in re.com under $350.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=suzyambrose;7984735]We're doing our reccie in a couple of weeks to Melbourne and Brisbane and have narrowed down some suburbs in our rental price range (from realestate.com) and wondered if anyone could give me any info on them? Thanks in advance

Melbourne:
Altona/ Altona Meadows
Point Cook
Carrum Downs
Cranbourne
Chelsea
Springvale
Bentleigh

Probably out of the ones above my choice would be Bentleigh, Chelsea, Point Cook and parts of Cranbourne (ie Hunt Club, Sierra, Settlers Run or Cranbourne South, you also have new estates in Cranbourne North)

Carrum Downs, although they have lots of new housing developments springing up and it is handy for both the Eastlink and Monash there are some undesirable areas and no train line.

Springvale, I personally wouldn't live there.

If you are looking SE, you could find a house for $350 in Berwick, Lynbrook, Narre Warren South, lots of BE members live in these areas.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 1:59 am
ABCDiamond

Some Medium Rental costs for Apr - Jun 2009 in the Brisbane area
  • $285 Redbank/ Redbank Plns/ Collingwood Pk 82
  • $300 Goodna/ Bellbird Pk/ Camira/ Carole Pk/ Springfield 174
  • $425 Chelmer/Indooroopilly/Taringa 51
  • $355 Altandi/Macgregor/Robertson/Sunnybank 91
  • $290 Kingston/ Logan City/ Trinder Pk/ Woodridge 139
The numbers at the end of each line are the actual numbers of new rentals taken out in that 3 months.

Might as well put my area in....
$350 Mt Cotton/ Pt Halloran/ Pt Talburpin/ Redland Bay/ Victoria Pt 61

and

$380 The Gap 40

Old Oct 3rd 2009, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Collingwood Park - absolutely the pits. Especially with all the mine subsidences.

On the other hand you could pick up a really cheap rental.

WW
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne

Springvale - no - stick out like a saw thumb
Noble Park - no
Cranbourne, good parts and bad but too open and flat for me
Carrum Downs - I would not live there

Chelsea - used to live in the next suburb Edithvale and liked it but lots of old houses there and they are pricey now both sides of the rail line.

Suggest you look

Cheltenham,
Dingley
Patterson Lakes
Frankston South
Langwarrin
Mordialloc

In fact have a look at the Metlink site and follow the train lines out.

Narre Warren, Berwick nice areas

Point Cook etc is becoming very popular now because of a shorter commute to the CBD than from the south side of the Yarra River. Trouble is you have to cross the Yarra.

Good look.

If you want further out and beach have a look at Mornington Mount Martha
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=UK-2-OZ;7985192]
We're doing our reccie in a couple of weeks to Melbourne and Brisbane and have narrowed down some suburbs in our rental price range (from realestate.com) and wondered if anyone could give me any info on them? Thanks in advance

Melbourne:
Altona/ Altona Meadows
Point Cook
Carrum Downs
Cranbourne
Chelsea
Springvale
Bentleigh

Probably out of the ones above my choice would be Bentleigh, Chelsea, Point Cook and parts of Cranbourne (ie Hunt Club, Sierra, Settlers Run or Cranbourne South, you also have new estates in Cranbourne North)

Carrum Downs, although they have lots of new housing developments springing up and it is handy for both the Eastlink and Monash there are some undesirable areas and no train line.

Springvale, I personally wouldn't live there.

If you are looking SE, you could find a house for $350 in Berwick, Lynbrook, Narre Warren South, lots of BE members live in these areas.
Parts of Berwick are established.

My 2c:
Narre Warren in danger of becoming a US inspired suburban nightmare.
One of the biggest hoon areas of the SE. I'd be nervous if I had bought there 10 years ago and seen the changes..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.