Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

STILL VERY SPARKLY contributory parent visa thread part 3.

STILL VERY SPARKLY contributory parent visa thread part 3.

Old Jan 24th 2010, 6:18 pm

sandch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: STILL VERY SPARKLY contributory parent visa thread part 3.

Originally Posted by home alone
A Question, please - Are there any restrictions, for work, on a cpv 143 visa?

(I've trimmed down all my excess paper work, 'ready for our move', OH asked me that question yesterday, and I can't find any details, ref. that subject ) Regards Lin
Nice one Les.

I believe if you look at the small print it says that you should avoid it if at all possible....

Assuming you mean paid employment, none at all Lin. You're a fully paid-up member of Australian Society. More paid up than most actually.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:01 am

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

With just 1 day left in Auckland before we fly back to Brisbane, we must say we have had a great time here.
If others are planning the same trip to get their visas, then we could recommend the Copthorne Hotel, Quay Street, its next door to the Australian Consulate as well as being where all the action is here. Would recommend booking through their own website as they do specials on there that are not available through travel agents. One warning, Friday and Saturday nights close the window as it gets noisy from late night revellers (3 - 4am, unless of course you are out there as well), all the bars and restaurants are close by as well. Getting about is easy, loads of buses, trains and ferries, all which you can travel on with the same special saver tickets and make sure that you pick up all the brochures and get the coupons () We have to use a different branch of Esquire Coffee everyday, in case they recognize the "2 for the price of 1 oldies". I also found that by booking some ferry trips on the internet saved $10 per person as opposed to walking 50 mts from the hotel to purchase them!!

Next post and we could just be Australian Permanent Residents

Cheers

Matt
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

ruth-phil is an unknown quantity at this point

Could you please up date the tracker the final payment has been made with no problems. We now have to wait until we return to the UK for the visa. Hopefully you will let us have our red star end of MARCH.

Its good to hear Matt had a good time in NZ and is now a resident of Aus.

Our next few weeks will be busy getting things sorted here then we must plan for about a 4 week visit to the UK how nice to be able to send all our goods out which have been in store for nearly 3 yrs. The caravan will go on sale its a big twin axle Ace touring caravan if anyone is interested.

Ruth & Phil
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ruth-phil
Could you please up date the tracker the final payment has been made with no problems. We now have to wait until we return to the UK for the visa. Hopefully you will let us have our red star end of MARCH.

Our next few weeks will be busy getting things sorted here then we must plan for about a 4 week visit to the UK how nice to be able to send all our goods out which have been in store for nearly 3 yrs. The caravan will go on sale its a big twin axle Ace touring caravan if anyone is interested.

Ruth & Phil
Such a lot going on for you at the moment and I expect although it hurt a little, the final payment feels like the final hurdle!

Where did you store all your things in the UK or Oz? We will have to store for a few months and have heard that it would be cheaper to store in Perth than the UK?

Best wishes and fingers crossed for the end of March

Barbaran
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sandch
Nice one Les.

I believe if you look at the small print it says that you should avoid it if at all possible....

Assuming you mean paid employment, none at all Lin. You're a fully paid-up member of Australian Society. More paid up than most actually.
Sandch,

Has anyone else noticed that we haven't had any newbies to the site applying for CPVs' since October 2009. Does anyone else think that the economic situation has made people think again. If so what a shame!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sirmatt101
With just 1 day left in Auckland before we fly back to Brisbane, we must say we have had a great time here.
If others are planning the same trip to get their visas, then we could recommend the Copthorne Hotel, Quay Street, its next door to the Australian Consulate as well as being where all the action is here. Would recommend booking through their own website as they do specials on there that are not available through travel agents. One warning, Friday and Saturday nights close the window as it gets noisy from late night revellers (3 - 4am, unless of course you are out there as well), all the bars and restaurants are close by as well. Getting about is easy, loads of buses, trains and ferries, all which you can travel on with the same special saver tickets and make sure that you pick up all the brochures and get the coupons () We have to use a different branch of Esquire Coffee everyday, in case they recognize the "2 for the price of 1 oldies". I also found that by booking some ferry trips on the internet saved $10 per person as opposed to walking 50 mts from the hotel to purchase them!!

Next post and we could just be Australian Permanent Residents

Cheers

Matt
We will be saying CONGRATULATIONS then, permies
We let our Insurance company know about OH DVT problems which seem to be minor as they have responded to treatment very quickly and the doctors say there is no problem for our flight on Saturday 30th. However, what a can of worms and paperwork we opened. The Insurers want us to change our flight to Maylasia via Kuala Lumpur. OH in business class and me in economy. We didn't want this and have insisted in going with Emirates as booked with 1 night stopover at Dubai.

They have thrown their toys out of their pram and insisted that if we don't do as their medical advisors advise then our insurance will be void. We have to claim all expenses back through Medicare anyway. They have said that I could travel Business Class too, only I have to pay $5,500!!!!!

Any comments?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

ruth-phil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Barbaran
Such a lot going on for you at the moment and I expect although it hurt a little, the final payment feels like the final hurdle!

Where did you store all your things in the UK or Oz? We will have to store for a few months and have heard that it would be cheaper to store in Perth than the UK?

Best wishes and fingers crossed for the end of March

Barbaran
Thank you for the good wishes the sadest part is knowing we are leaving our daughter & 3 children behind, but if all goes to plan they are all coming for a holiday later in the year as we havent seen them hardly at all for two years. OH thinks we are mad but tough. It is very difficult having a split family, of course it is lovely seeing the son & his family however.

Our belongings are stored in the UK ( Peterborough) we have two crates that is all, we had to cut back as we knew it would be a while before it was shipped to Oz. We didnt send our things to Aus because I think being on a tourist visa it could have caused some problems.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you for the good wishes the sadest part is knowing we are leaving our daughter & 3 children behind, but if all goes to plan they are all coming for a holiday later in the year as we havent seen them hardly at all for two years. OH thinks we are mad but tough. It is very difficult having a split family, of course it is lovely seeing the son & his family however.

Our belongings are stored in the UK ( Peterborough) we have two crates that is all, we had to cut back as we knew it would be a while before it was shipped to Oz. We didnt send our things to Aus because I think being on a tourist visa it could have caused some problems.
A double edged sword then for you both. We are so fortunate to have made a family decision as both daughters and partners are in Perth. Thank goodness for Skype as they have been here for two years. We have had two visits though and hope to be here by the end of the year.

Hope it all goes to plan for you and your family.

Barbaran
Old Jan 27th 2010, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

coloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nice

I think we could start a separate thread altogether on the subject of what people plan to take with them, only for the oldies of course, the youngsters I don't think it matters so much. We plan to take just as much as we can cram into a container, don't know what size that will be yet! We are not in a position to be able to start from scratch again and anyway, we have quite a few antiques and collectibles that I would like to be able to pass on to our children some time in the hopefully distant future. I have heard that it is cheaper to store in Perth but don't as yet have any evidence to back that up.

We too will have a split family, 3 of our daughters are already settled but we are having to leave one behind and it will be sooo difficult when the time comes. She had hoped to join us all with her husband but personal circumstances might make that difficult.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 4:29 pm

Ruth & Phil
Congratulations nearly there. Our home has been in store for 3 years now, it will be like 10 Christmases when we finally unpack it all again!

On the caravan sale front, just a suggestion is selling on ebay! It gets so much coverage. We sold ours plus tow vehicle back in 2007 and had so much interest, the caravan was sold on the photos alone!

All the best for the future

Cheers

Matt.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 4:39 pm

We let our Insurance company know about OH DVT problems which seem to be minor as they have responded to treatment very quickly and the doctors say there is no problem for our flight on Saturday 30th. However, what a can of worms and paperwork we opened. The Insurers want us to change our flight to Maylasia via Kuala Lumpur. OH in business class and me in economy. We didn't want this and have insisted in going with Emirates as booked with 1 night stopover at Dubai.

They have thrown their toys out of their pram and insisted that if we don't do as their medical advisors advise then our insurance will be void. We have to claim all expenses back through Medicare anyway. They have said that I could travel Business Class too, only I have to pay $5,500!!!!!

Any comments?
Hi guys. I know that its not what you want, but stop and think for a moment that the insurance covers not only your OH but you as well! What if in the worst case something happens to you on the way home or before,or even the DVT recurs with your OH, the insurance would still cover you!

Not everything is fully covered by Medicare, scans etc have a certain limit, I think we had to lose $90 which I will claim from the insurance, plus all prescriptions which in UK are free over 60, but you pay in full in Oz!

I would personally go with the insurers, after all why pay it in the first place? You have to inform them of any medical or other problem when it occurs to keep it valid. Our cover was until 6th January but has been extended until OH can return to the UK.

Cheers

Matt

Last edited by sirmatt101; Jan 27th 2010 at 4:43 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by coloneldube
I think we could start a separate thread altogether on the subject of what people plan to take with them, only for the oldies of course, the youngsters I don't think it matters so much. We plan to take just as much as we can cram into a container, don't know what size that will be yet! We are not in a position to be able to start from scratch again and anyway, we have quite a few antiques and collectibles that I would like to be able to pass on to our children some time in the hopefully distant future. I have heard that it is cheaper to store in Perth but don't as yet have any evidence to back that up.

We too will have a split family, 3 of our daughters are already settled but we are having to leave one behind and it will be sooo difficult when the time comes. She had hoped to join us all with her husband but personal circumstances might make that difficult.
We are of the same thought as you, take as much as we can, but our children in Oz have told us to sell any antiques etc that we may be saving for them and put the money towards our new life!

Cheers

Matt
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Vindy is an unknown quantity at this point

Any comments?
Hi Barbaran,
Thats exactly what I had to do , our insurance said that I had to go first class and my wife had to go economy, not really what we wanted but they wouldn't change.
My wife was allowed to join me in first class during some of the flight so it wasn't to bad, must admit it was a great way to fly.
Yes you can claim most of your medical exspenses back from Medicare.

Best wishes
Les & Babs
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Vindy is an unknown quantity at this point

Sandch,

Has anyone else noticed that we haven't had any newbies to the site applying for CPVs' since October 2009. Does anyone else think that the economic situation has made people think again. If so what a shame!
You might be right, it is probably down to the economic situation, and also because of the large amount of money you have to payout to get PR,
Reading this furom its been mentioned that some people have had to back out.
It might just make the Oz goverment sit up and think that they are pricing out parents from the CPV.

Les & Babs
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Katie1955 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sandch,

Hi,

I'm just waiting for my acknowledgement so hopefully I'll be able to go on the timeline. Sent my application off at Christmas, my daughter forwarded it onto Perth early January, they've cashed the cheque so I'm just at the start of this long process. My daughter & son in law have been in Adelaide for 12 months now as of last Sunday.

I'm sure over the coming months, I'll be asking lots of questions. I've been reading the posts on this fab site for a long time already & know what a friendly bunch you all are

Katie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.