Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

STILL VERY SPARKLY contributory parent visa thread part 3.

STILL VERY SPARKLY contributory parent visa thread part 3.

Old Dec 29th 2009, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Vindy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: STILL VERY SPARKLY contributory parent visa thread part 3.

Hi Elaine,,
You might find this info usefull.
Originally Posted by Gollywobbler
Hello Sarah

Your Mum can go with you to Oz, travelling on a tourist visa that will give her a stay of 12 unbroken months in Oz if you ask for that.

When her CPV is ready to be granted Mum will just need to nip to Auckland, Fiji, Singapore or Bali for a week - wherever is closest - so that her CPV can be granted whilst she is outside Australia. The visa label can be put in to her passport in any of the places I have mentioned (there is in-person counter service in all of them.) Then she can go straight back to Oz using her new CP visa.

If CPV processing becomes protracted meaning that one 12 month tourist visa is't enough, a quick nip to any of the places above will get Mum another tourist visa for another 12 months on the spot.

Please see here:

Tourist Visa (Subclass 676)

If your Mum is 70 or over, she will need to get her own GP (not a Panel Doctor) to complete a simple form of Medical Certificate, which is here:

dima_health - Australian High Commission

Note that the website says that tourists of 70 or over must have medical insurance for a long-stay visit to Oz. This does not apply to British tourists. The reason is because there is a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement between theUK and Oz, which counts as medical insurance for the purpose of a turist visa. Please see here:

Visitors to Australia - Medicare Australia

When your Mum reaches Oz, if she takes her passport to Medicare they will give her a temporary Medicare card.

Your Mum's meds for her main visa can be done in Australia. Health Services Australia do them and I have heard that it is cheaper than getting them done in the UK.

To make the application for the tourist visa, personally I would do it by paper & post, using Form 48 and paying $75.00 (the current fee though that will increase a bit on 1st July 2008.) Send the form, her passport, the medical cerificate if needed and all the other stuff in the checklist to the Australian High Commission in London, with a covering letter explaining about the CPV application.

Ask for 12 unbroken months in Oz and it will be granted automatically because there is a special concession for people who have applied for Parent or Contributory Parent visas, so that they can all-but move to Oz during the wait if they want to.

Do not interfere with the CPV application. Just leave that running in the background. That will just rumble on till the POPC is ready to grant it (the Perth Offshore Parents Centre, where your Mum's CPV application is being processed.) Tthe method which I am describing is the proper way to "bridge" the wait for a CP visa.

Our member June Coates is in Oz at the moment using this arrangement. SAVTA did it before June (and SAVTA needed to get a second 12 month tourist visa , so she & her hubby made two trips to Auckland in the end, one for the second tourist visa and the other for their CPV.) My mother did it before June & SAVTA and LOADS of British CPV applicants have either done this or are doing it currently.

It is no sweat at all though I do think it is easier just to pay a bit extra for a paper application so that the whole thing will be dealt with by a human in London. Just send a copy of the CPV acknowledgement letter with the tourist visa application. They are quick about the processing. Your Mum should get her passport back within 2 weeks and you can then book her flight.

Meanwhile, SAVTA's threads might amuse you. Please see here:

http://www.*************/forum/arriva...ry-minute.html

http://www.*************/forum/migrat...melbourne.html

Best wishes

Les & Babs
Old Dec 29th 2009, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Chris-Rob-PTK is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: STILL VERY SPARKLY contributory parent visa thread part 3.

Hi everyone ,we are just getting ourselves geared up to do Meds and police checks in the New Year ,can anyone give us a rough idea of how much they are likely to cost .
Old Dec 29th 2009, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

rosalinka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chris-Rob-PTK
Hi everyone ,we are just getting ourselves geared up to do Meds and police checks in the New Year ,can anyone give us a rough idea of how much they are likely to cost .
hi there. acpo.police.co.uk have application form and details of costs. 35 pounds each for certificates 5pounds for extra certs as photocopies not accepted if originals go astray. Make sure your file no. is on all correspondence.
Meds probably vary and may cost more down south but in Preston Lancs I paid 78 pounds for x-ray and145 pounds for medical -each person
hope it all goes well for you Can't wait for a c.o in the New Year
Old Dec 29th 2009, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

coloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nice
Smile Re: STILL VERY SPARKLY contributory parent visa thread part 3.

Originally Posted by miscellaneous
WOW Wasim and Rich, so glad Wasim you posed this question and for your reply Rich, as this is a similar situation that has arisen for me.

I have just recently sold my house, and have now been persuaded by my daughter, to apply for a years visitors visa, and do the waiting in Australia living with her, (on a so called extended holiday from March 2010) and pray my PR Visa comes through before the years visa is up. as I am hoping to have a case worker by the end of the year, having watched the timing of everyones progress on gainwave site. thanks to Steve.

Is there anything likely to thwart this plan??? and what pitfalls should I need to look out for??? As Matt suggested it is wise to register for a Medicare card, so do I need a travel insurance for this duration. I know I can do the medical out there, (not sure of the cost of this?) and I can do my police check before leaving the Uk, as I read from someone on this thread who kindly pointed out," it will still apply, as once one is in Australia, anything untoward is then put on their records."

Do I need to mention my application for PRV on the application for a years visa?. I now know from the forum it will be neccessary to go to NZ or Singapore to collect the PRV visa, as reading Matts saga has put me straight on that question.

I would be pleased of any advice on this plan, to be or not to be, that is the question?

Kind Regards
Elaine.

The only thing I would add here is that your police checks are only valid for one year so you might well find they have expired by the time they are required if you have them done before you go. I can't remember quite how we did ours but we did them locally and they were much cheaper than the nationally quoted price. Medicals are cheaper to have done in Oz and we would certainly have gone down that route but were unable to get an appointment in time (we were out on holiday).

Happy Christmas everyone and all the best for 2010.
Cathy
Old Dec 30th 2009, 7:19 am

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: STILL VERY SPARKLY contributory parent visa thread part 3.

We have just been to the DIAC office in Brisbane today to see about extending our evisitor visas (valid for multiple entries into Oz for 12 months, each visit not to exceed 3 months) as we have been here 8 weeks so far and OH will be unfit to fly past the 3 month deadline.

The lady at the counter was very helpful, and after speaking with her manager suggested that instead of forking out $200 odd each for a visa extension, we should if possible use the 28 day period after the 3 month deadline where you become unlawfully in the country (with no visa), but not to go over it as that would effect the CPV!!

Royal Brunei Airlines have agreed to a "Once Only" date change for our return half of the tickets, which is also very helpful, and as the tickets were issued as no changes, no refunds etc is quite surprising

Don't expect much happening from Perth as all DIAC offices only open today and tomorrow, back to normal next week.

Cheers

Matt
Old Dec 30th 2009, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Chris-Rob-PTK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rosalinka
hi there. acpo.police.co.uk have application form and details of costs. 35 pounds each for certificates 5pounds for extra certs as photocopies not accepted if originals go astray. Make sure your file no. is on all correspondence.
Meds probably vary and may cost more down south but in Preston Lancs I paid 78 pounds for x-ray and145 pounds for medical -each person
hope it all goes well for you Can't wait for a c.o in the New Year
Hi rosalinka , thanks for your reply. we are in west yorkshire so not too far from you distance wise ,and only a couple of months behind you on Timelines, so we walk the same road . Hopefully a straight one without too many bends .

Happy New Year
Chris
Old Dec 30th 2009, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

miscellaneous is an unknown quantity at this point

A BIG THANK YOU to Vindy and Cathy for your answers to my queries, I am definately feeling a lot more light hearted about venturing forth now, and my daughter says to thank you also for explaining the procedures, it so nice to be wanted earlier rather than later

So watch this space, now that I have to get my act together, there is so much to do in such a short space of time??? Removals, visa, driving licence, flight, etc etc etc

Wishing everyone on this thread an EVEN MORE SPARKLY NEW YEAR.

Best Wishes
Elaine
Old Dec 30th 2009, 11:11 pm

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

A very Happy New Year to everyone, and heres hoping that 2010 will be a good year for everyone!

Cheers

Matt
Old Dec 31st 2009, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

home alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nice

Originally Posted by miscellaneous
A BIG THANK YOU to Vindy and Cathy for your answers to my queries, I am definately feeling a lot more light hearted about venturing forth now, and my daughter says to thank you also for explaining the procedures, it so nice to be wanted earlier rather than later

So watch this space, now that I have to get my act together, there is so much to do in such a short space of time??? Removals, visa, driving licence, flight, etc etc etc

Wishing everyone on this thread an EVEN MORE SPARKLY NEW YEAR.

Best Wishes
Elaine

GO FOR IT GIRL, GO FOR IT, ENJOY

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Last edited by home alone; Dec 31st 2009 at 5:01 am.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 7:19 am

sandch is an unknown quantity at this point

Happy New Year to All - nearly 2010 in Australia now, whilst we start our working day at this end. Go easy on the grape juice folks.

Oh what the hell....

Best wishes

Steve
Old Dec 31st 2009, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Vindy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sandch
Happy New Year to All - nearly 2010 in Australia now, whilst we start our working day at this end. Go easy on the grape juice folks.

Oh what the hell....

Best wishes

Steve
I'll second that ( Hic ) or maybe 3rd it ( Hic ) All the very best and a Prosperous New Year to every one in 2010

Les & Babs
Old Dec 31st 2009, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

joanne3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sandch

Oh what the hell....

Best wishes

Steve

Hi Steve,

I am cracking open a bottle of grape juice tonight !!

My agent has just phoned from Auz to tell us that our request for 2nd vac has arrived !

What a lovely end to 2009 ! I just need to gather half a million South African rands together to pay for it !!

The red star is geting closer !

Happy new year everyone !

Joanne !
Old Dec 31st 2009, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

sue32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Happy New Year everyone, all the best and hope everyone gets the red star we all wish for, our update is that our meds were signed for at Sydney yesterday, so just waiting for our police checks to come back then we can send them off as well, all the best - sue
Old Dec 31st 2009, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

home alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nice

Hi! everyone, am doing my bit of wishing now,while I can ............... ! Just got home from work, me and my OH WISH YOU ALL A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR, full of CO's and RED STARS Hic!
Old Dec 31st 2009, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

coloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nice

A Happy New Year to everyone on this thread, let's hope that 2010 is just the best for us all.
Cathy & Tony

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.