Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

STILL VERY SPARKLY contributory parent visa thread part 3.

STILL VERY SPARKLY contributory parent visa thread part 3.

Old May 20th 2010, 6:11 am

sandch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: STILL VERY SPARKLY contributory parent visa thread part 3.

Hi Lin

Great to hear from you with some interesting news and tips there! By the way, what was it like trying to rent a property without jobs? Any particular hoops you had to jump through? It's reassuring that after not so very long some paid employment has arrived, and once you break through that initial "acceptance" barrier it will seem easier.

Stay in touch.

Best wishes

Steve
Old May 20th 2010, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Barbaran
Hi,

It was cheaper to go to Brentwood which only took 2 hours all in, than take unpaid time off to go to Maidenhead which is quite a way from us in Kent. Time is money when you are self employed Les. Swings and roundabouts.

By the look of it a whole roll of cling film was used evidently to prevent us taking someone elses sample and passing (excuse the pun) it off as our own. Evidently that sometimes happens. They did tell us that all was well with that anyway!

Chris and Barbara
Good point, we too are self employed so when the time comes we will compare appointment times with time out needed.

The price option may be useful to west Londoners.

2 1/2 years ago our son and wife used another practice at Brentwood that was taken off the list and that cost less than £150 so the lack of competition has let prices zoom.

This group has 4 locations even though Brentwood not yet added to site.

http://www.spirehealthcare.com/Harts...dical-service/

Last edited by Les Avalook; May 20th 2010 at 6:57 am.
Old May 20th 2010, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

home alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nice

Hi! Steve

Finding a rental, allowing dogs, was a bit more troublesome, but, didn't have any other problems, the 'Realty' company, as they are called, gave us a form, on it we stated that there were 3 UK pensions, our house sale money was still in a UK bank, (our daughter was on stand by in case they required a guaranteer, but wasn't needed) We pay $300 per week, a bit more than we wanted to pay, but its, a huge 'house' (bungalow) 4 x 2, great patio, enormous garden, double garage, with an electronic door, lovely gadget for OH, (almost all homes have them anyway!) So many extra rooms, the dogs keep loosing us! Too big for us really, although the grandchildren can stay, without a problem, as we are quite near them too! People, we hardly knew, donated items, for example microwave, arm chairs, etc; to help us out, until our 'bits' arrive. Cheers Lin
Old May 20th 2010, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jtct
We were advised NOT to get meds/police checks done before CO appointed
Hi there,

Our IA told us that June would be okay so it was just a few weeks early as we are waiting a year by then for a CO as the medicals only last for a year and we anticipate that it won't take until May 2011 to get one of these rare creatures Just that I have a health problem which I got a letter from the hospital with current situation of the condition, to pre-empt any delay by Immi asking for a doctors report. I will have to wait and see if this works for us.

Hopefully all this information will stand you in good stead when your turn comes around.

BW Barbara and Chris
Old May 20th 2010, 7:36 am

Thanks Lin that's helpful. Sounds good, and we've had to revise our rental expectations as we also need enough space for visitors. The other challenge is of course that these economically active offspring of ours tend to be located in busy and more central - and thus expensive - residential areas where we would prefer not to be, on account of them being busy, central and expensive. Equally there's no point in being too far away, it would defeat the object!

Dogs always reduce choice don't they (so do children in this country)? Ours (dog that is) is 14 years old now and he's definitely not coming with us - a different problem since he seems still fairly sprightly!

Best wishes
Steve
Old May 20th 2010, 7:38 am

Watch the GBP / AUD currency rate anyone considering payment - it's up over 1.7 now, so the option of paying in sterling in London is more a convenience than a benefit.

It is volatile, so needs to be monitored.
Old May 20th 2010, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
Good point, we too are self employed so when the time comes we will compare appointment times with time out needed.

The price option may be useful to west Londoners.

2 1/2 years ago our son and wife used another practice at Brentwood that was taken off the list and that cost less than £150 so the lack of competition has let prices zoom.

This group has 4 locations even though Brentwood not yet added to site.

http://www.spirehealthcare.com/Harts...dical-service/
I agree Les the price reflects lack of competition. There were three options for us Central London, Heathrow (nightmare) and Brentwood. We also had to pay three days before, they rung for card number. Proves its good to shop around tho and it is not uniform in price. Good Info for others Les.

C and B
Old May 20th 2010, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sandch
Watch the GBP / AUD currency rate anyone considering payment - it's up over 1.7 now, so the option of paying in sterling in London is more a convenience than a benefit.

Thanks Steve for the info. Eyes glued - even went on to yahoo 7 Aus to read about miners discontent. We only need a stronger pound now and it will rise from the ashes even more or not?

C and B
Old May 20th 2010, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sandch

Just noticed that, I would want to see $1.75 before dropping the London option though as that rate is set where as Perth will set the day they take the money and the rate is moving 3 cents a day both ways.

It may be a step in the right direction, gift horses etc.
Old May 20th 2010, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Steve for the info. Eyes glued - even went on to yahoo 7 Aus to read about miners discontent. We only need a stronger pound now and it will rise from the ashes even more or not?

C and B
If the world start to believe Nick and Dave are serious that would also help the £ until Mervyn King goes and puts his boot in again.
Old May 20th 2010, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

yomvard is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, like us you want to deal with any issues should they arise so not to hold up any progress. We live in Kent near the M25 so chose Brentwood, Essex Spire Hospital and I have to say within an hour we had had blood test,sight test, blood pressure all questions ticked on the forms plus Chest Xray. 300 squidlets tho. We had the choices of Heathrow, Brentwood or Central London. They said they had just been awarded the contract and were very careful to follow the rules including cling filming the sink in the Loo. Did they write and confirm everything was ok? I wondered what would happen as we do not have a case officer. We were told that it goes off to Sydney.

It seems there is an improvement in the rate Sandch explained why and we wonder if it will improve even more?

We will be going to Perth a we have both daughters and their partners there plus our granddogs and can't wait as we miss them all so much. Where are you off to?

Chris and Barbara
We are hoping to go to Melbourne, well Mornington, just along the bay.We have two boys and two granchildren and partners there. We are having a bit of a wobble at the moment, will we make friends, will my OH get a job, maybe Bunnings or not, once we are there will we settle etc. All the things I am sure everyone feels just before things start kicking off. If the exchange rate improves in the next year ok, at least we have 5 years to make the leap to make sure we survive financially. I am retired and disabled so unable to contribute which makes it frustrating. Still seeing the family regularly hopefully makes it worth it.
Old May 20th 2010, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

yomvard is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Our IA told us that June would be okay so it was just a few weeks early as we are waiting a year by then for a CO as the medicals only last for a year and we anticipate that it won't take until May 2011 to get one of these rare creatures Just that I have a health problem which I got a letter from the hospital with current situation of the condition, to pre-empt any delay by Immi asking for a doctors report. I will have to wait and see if this works for us.

Hopefully all this information will stand you in good stead when your turn comes around.

BW Barbara and Chris
Thats what I did with the MS. Got an up to date doctors report and also a neurologists assessment and all was ok. However hopefully this will be enough this time round.
Old May 20th 2010, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

pemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
If the world start to believe Nick and Dave are serious that would also help the £ until Mervyn King goes and puts his boot in again.
What Mervyn and the last Gov did not take into account was that with rates so low everyone would pay off debt and not spend spend spend as they wanted. The one thing they forgot however, is that with rates so low all the people who were enjoying nice income boosts from their savings lost out so they could not spend!, the gov lost taxes, and many would now also start claiming benefit due to reduced income. So VERY low interest rates do not work. Oh I also forgot, the big investers dont bring money to UK as little or no return so pound suffers even more. Yep I hope dave and nick get things back on track soon for all our sakes.
thats me done wingeing.
To all receiving and near to red stars I hope everything goes really well for you. Me/us. We are awaiting acknowledgement for receipt of application, just getting started.
Old May 20th 2010, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

allanandros is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: STILL VERY SPARKLY contributory parent visa thread part 3.

Hi! This feels a bit like butting-in on others folks' conversations. My wife and I are just starting the process of applying for the contributory parent visa. Application form has reached Perth and we are waiting to see the first payment go out. This is our first post. Have we done it right?
It is interesting to hear other peoples' experiences on the road. Ros, my wife, and I appreciate the thread very much.
Can anyone tell me roughly how long the process takes? I have read about a tracker - can we begin to post milestones?
From two very wet behind the ears newcomers. Allan
Old May 20th 2010, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Chris-Rob-PTK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by allanandros
Hi! This feels a bit like butting-in on others folks' conversations. My wife and I are just starting the process of applying for the contributory parent visa. Application form has reached Perth and we are waiting to see the first payment go out. This is our first post. Have we done it right?
It is interesting to hear other peoples' experiences on the road. Ros, my wife, and I appreciate the thread very much.
Can anyone tell me roughly how long the process takes? I have read about a tracker - can we begin to post milestones?
From two very wet behind the ears newcomers. Allan
HI allan & Ros ,welcome to the thread.It will become compulsive reading for you over the next 15/18 months. Steve will put you right about the tracker..We are now at the other end of the proccess ,waiting for the coveted red star.
Chris & Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.