Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocation questions

Relocation questions

Old Jul 15th 2009, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

NYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud of
Default Relocation questions

So after a few delays in top bods at DH's US office signing forms (how dare they go on holiday) our relocation package has been signed off and their immigration peeps are now taking care of the Visas. They said this will take up to 8 weeks, but are trying to hurry things along (I'm aware that it could take longer if there are any issues)

I have a few questions based on other's experiences if that's ok?

Is a relocation package of $75k reasonable, they have broken it down into $ for this and $ for that, but we can take from one pot to feed another apparently. It sounds good afaik but wouldn't want to be short changed! They are being a bit slow in letting us know what that covers, only that they've estimated it will cost that much to take us over. Need to find out if this includes relevant costs to apply for Green Card aswell or that's separate (which they have said they will do as this isn't intending to be a short term move, DH is a manager in a Multinational)

They have put a company called Plus Relocation in charge of us, anyone have any experience of them?

We were supposed to be moving by September which is laughable really, as we've still got to fit in a trip to New Jersey to scout areas. Anyway, is there any reason why my Husband can't go over there before us (when the Visas are issued) set up home there and sort that side out then come back and get us? Apart from the obvious issue of me having to do the packing etc all here by myself with three kids. There's no visa stipulation that we have to all go together initially is there? He would have to come back and fly with me anyway as I'm buggered if I'm doing a 7.5 hr flight with three kids alone.
Is there any reason he can't fly in and out on his L1 Visa (which his company will be expecting him to do as his business commitments extend to Europe/Middle East)

Also, I've been reading (lurking hideously) on these boards for a while now and hope to be more a part of it now the ball is properly moving
Thanks
Old Jul 15th 2009, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation questions

My husband is planning on heading over to IN before me and the kids arrive so he can set up home a bit. I think doing this is a good idea and the only issue I have with it is that I will be travelling with 2 young children on a transatlantic flight all by myself! He has just come back from IN to look for places to live and had no problems at immigration, few questions and a stamp in passport. God bless the WVP!
We don't have the benefit of a big relocation package as the company hiring husband are quite small and offered us a 10th of what you are getting to use in anyway we want for getting us or our belongings over to the US or initial payments on a new place to live, he will be going on a H1B. We have had quotes from international removal companies to see if we would be able to move our stuff over from UK and have come to the conclusion it would be cheaper to buy the stuff in US and sell what we have here! Quotes ranged from £4300 - £5900 for a 20ft container. Not including insurance and any possible 'additional costs'!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 4:16 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NYCbound
So after a few delays in top bods at DH's US office signing forms (how dare they go on holiday) our relocation package has been signed off and their immigration peeps are now taking care of the Visas. They said this will take up to 8 weeks, but are trying to hurry things along (I'm aware that it could take longer if there are any issues)

I have a few questions based on other's experiences if that's ok?

Is a relocation package of $75k reasonable, they have broken it down into $ for this and $ for that, but we can take from one pot to feed another apparently. It sounds good afaik but wouldn't want to be short changed! They are being a bit slow in letting us know what that covers, only that they've estimated it will cost that much to take us over. Need to find out if this includes relevant costs to apply for Green Card aswell or that's separate (which they have said they will do as this isn't intending to be a short term move, DH is a manager in a Multinational)

They have put a company called Plus Relocation in charge of us, anyone have any experience of them?

We were supposed to be moving by September which is laughable really, as we've still got to fit in a trip to New Jersey to scout areas. Anyway, is there any reason why my Husband can't go over there before us (when the Visas are issued) set up home there and sort that side out then come back and get us? Apart from the obvious issue of me having to do the packing etc all here by myself with three kids. There's no visa stipulation that we have to all go together initially is there? He would have to come back and fly with me anyway as I'm buggered if I'm doing a 7.5 hr flight with three kids alone.
Is there any reason he can't fly in and out on his L1 Visa (which his company will be expecting him to do as his business commitments extend to Europe/Middle East)

Also, I've been reading (lurking hideously) on these boards for a while now and hope to be more a part of it now the ball is properly moving
Thanks
As a member of a profession that pays barely a penny for relocation (same thing with most people who emigrate to Oz, probably), I'm often rather gobsmacked when this kind of question is asked ... is $75k a reasonable relocation package? Are you being "shortchanged"? Cripes, I'd kill for a relocation package of $7k, never mind $75k!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 4:19 pm
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

I relocated from the UK to the US with no assistance from my employer on a H-1B visa 6 years ago. It's doable if you are cut throat in what you bring.

I saw a professional organizer once quote a phrase for sorting through things.
"Do you love it?"
"Do you need it?"
"Will it make you money?"

If you can't (honestly) say yes to 1 of these questions, pitch it. After that $75K will be more than enough.

Having saud that though, If you include GC application fees for you, hubby and the 3 ankle bitters [especially if you include lawyer fees], it suddenly does look that much after all.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

NYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dunroving
As a member of a profession that pays barely a penny for relocation (same thing with most people who emigrate to Oz, probably), I'm often rather gobsmacked when this kind of question is asked ... is $75k a reasonable relocation package? Are you being "shortchanged"? Cripes, I'd kill for a relocation package of $7k, never mind $75k!
Now I feel embarrassed! Sorry.
I have every reason to assume that includes everything they have to pay for, Lawyers, Visa costs, probably the hiring of the relocation company, so we won't 'see' any of that cash. I'm not moving anywhere if we will be out of pocket. That was just the figure that was given to me, I hope it didn't sound crass, I really didn't mean it to.

SarahG1976, it does sound the way to go doesn't it, sending them over first, but a long flight with young children with two adults sounds like hell, but on your own??!! Good luck with that!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I have every reason to assume that includes everything they have to pay for, Lawyers, Visa costs, probably the hiring of the relocation company, so we won't 'see' any of that cash. I'm not moving anywhere if we will be out of pocket. That was just the figure that was given to me, I hope it didn't sound crass, I really didn't mean it to.

SarahG1976, it does sound the way to go doesn't it, sending them over first, but a long flight with young children with two adults sounds like hell, but on your own??!! Good luck with that!
It sounds great but I guess the difference is we came over on H1B so it was our decision, you are being transferred and are not wanting to be out of pocket.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Michelmas
I relocated from the UK to the US with no assistance from my employer on a H-1B visa 6 years ago. It's doable if you are cut throat in what you bring.

I saw a professional organizer once quote a phrase for sorting through things.
"Do you love it?"
"Do you need it?"
"Will it make you money?"

If you can't (honestly) say yes to 1 of these questions, pitch it. After that $75K will be more than enough.

Having saud that though, If you include GC application fees for you, hubby and the 3 ankle bitters [especially if you include lawyer fees], it suddenly does look that much after all.
You're right, if it does include all the Lawyers and GC fees then it does dwindle away. I really need to get a breakdown in writing, seriously though it's like getting blood out of a stone getting info from HR.
It's a great time to be ruthless this moving malarky, thrown out so much already and the charity shops have seen an increase in donations that's for sure!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Is a relocation package of $75k reasonable, they have broken it down into $ for this and $ for that, but we can take from one pot to feed another apparently.
It will depend largely on the costs of selling and buying property. If you are doing both those things, the costs mount up quickly. Additionally, be aware that you will likely end up with a tax liability for some of that $75k.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 4:57 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Don't feel bad, it's a fact of life that expats do the expat thing in different ways. We all have the prerogative to decide whether we want to move or not, and for some the excitement about and benefits of living and working overseas is worth the cost.

I think in concrete relocation cost terms my ping-pong lifestyle has cost me around £40k, but when you consider the knock-on effects of "hidden costs" (effect of US/UK exchange rates, which always seem to be in the wrong direction :curse:, effect of US/UK house price changes, ditto , US lawyer's fees , buying and re-buying a houseload of appliances and tools ; etc.), it's probably more like £150k (most of which is the UK "house price effect"). So if you were to quantify a relocation package, all of a sudden $75k doesn't sound that much.

Anyway, I do wish you good luck with the move (especially getting those kids on the plane!) and wasn't trying to be mean with my comment, it was just a knee-jerk "I wish!" response more than anything.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Dunroving

Out of it all the flight is one of the worst prospects! 3 hours to Portugal last year was utter torture!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:54 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

You're right, if it does include all the Lawyers and GC fees then it does dwindle away. I really need to get a breakdown in writing, seriously though it's like getting blood out of a stone getting info from HR.
It's a great time to be ruthless this moving malarky, thrown out so much already and the charity shops have seen an increase in donations that's for sure!

Beware of the tax you have to pay on relocation too. The only items that are tax free are your flights and your packing/shipping costs, virtually everything else is subject to tax. Find out if the $75k includes the tax you will have to pay.

We came over on L visa's and the company paid for flights, packing, shipping, unpacking, 6 weeks accommodation, 4 weeks car rental and the services of a relocation company to help us when we got out here (which was rubbish and we didn't use). The total was way under $75k, although we only had 3 flights not 5.

I wouldn't worry about packing on your own, as with that kind of relocation package the shippers should do it all for you.

Also, if you're husband works for a big multi they will probably fly you all business (the multi-co we are with insisted on this as its over a 4 hour flight). So at least you won't be squashed up with 3 kids in cabin, and checking in should be much easier.

Good luck with it all.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW i'd make sure his contract includes some sort of deal regarding returning your stuff to the uk too
My OH moved over here before me and the kids...the kids were so excited about seeing him after 2 months without him that they behaved really well on the flight (they were 3 and 5 at the time) and the cabin crew were great with them
Old Jul 15th 2009, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by N1cky
Beware of the tax you have to pay on relocation too. The only items that are tax free are your flights and your packing/shipping costs, virtually everything else is subject to tax. Find out if the $75k includes the tax you will have to pay.
Also, if you're husband works for a big multi they will probably fly you all business (the multi-co we are with insisted on this as its over a 4 hour flight). So at least you won't be squashed up with 3 kids in cabin, and checking in should be much easier.

Good luck with it all.
Thanks
You're the 2nd person to mention the T word, will we still be liable for it even though the company pays directly and we don't handle any of it?

Relocation package aside, I think I got a bit too excited getting any info out of them at all and need to see the finer details but it will include all the shipping, packing, storage. We have no house to sell, which I'm thankful for, so no costs there.

In terms of other Q's the flying in and out etc.. anyone know? You wouldn't have thought it would be a problem, but with US visas, who can tell?!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lisa67
FWIW i'd make sure his contract includes some sort of deal regarding returning your stuff to the uk too
My OH moved over here before me and the kids...the kids were so excited about seeing him after 2 months without him that they behaved really well on the flight (they were 3 and 5 at the time) and the cabin crew were great with them
Thanks I will, just incase it doesn't work out right!
It's nice to know that that such a thing as a well behaved child on a flight!
The more I think about it, the more the idea of him going over first appeals to me, I mean he works away all the time, it'll not make much difference really
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that was a rule, maybe you should ask this in the visa section, you definitley don't want to end up on the wrong side of US immigration!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.