Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Jacqui Smith to resign as Home Secretary

Jacqui Smith to resign as Home Secretary

Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:20 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jacqui Smith to resign as Home Secretary

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Agreed...reckoning who is wise however is another issue entirely. Hence I feel those who want to vote or run for office have to complete at least 5 years of unpleasant and difficult service to the State in one form or another.

N.

if they are vocational then the work should be in their eyes fulfilling and not unpleasant.Also, should be age restricted to @minimum 35 imho
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

simple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I find the best thing to do in these circumstances is get a big pool of warm custard and get the girls in, in bikinis and let them fight it out.

Who wants to buy a ticket?
ooohhh yes please!!!

As for the rest of it I am an accountant so my opinion is invalid
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:04 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
if they are vocational then the work should be in their eyes fulfilling and not unpleasant.Also, should be age restricted to @minimum 35 imho
I like the idea of restricting the age to 35...but feel any civic service should be as unpleasant but meaningful as possible to weed the weak and stupid.

N.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:53 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I like the idea of restricting the age to 35...but feel any civic service should be as unpleasant but meaningful as possible to weed the weak and stupid.

N.
thats the problem right there, public service is seen by most normal people as unpleasant anyway. now a politician sees it not as unpleasant but as an ideal avenue in which to spend 30 yrs doing sweet **** all except enriching themselves.

Frankly the thought of running for example the NHS scares the shit out of me, the very notion that if i cock up hundreds if not thousands will suffer fills me with dread, same goes for say minister for defence. Anyone not scared or at least nervous and aware of the huge responsibility should be barred from the role.

We should pick qualified experienced older individuals who are shit scared of the job and really dont want to do it. Force them into say a 5 yr appointment with the proviso that if they do a good job they can quit, with a nice pension and the nations thanks, if they **** up they face 10yrs running the local council commitee on waste disposal
Old Jun 4th 2009, 9:05 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
thats the problem right there, public service is seen by most normal people as unpleasant anyway. now a politician sees it not as unpleasant but as an ideal avenue in which to spend 30 yrs doing sweet **** all except enriching themselves.

Frankly the thought of running for example the NHS scares the shit out of me, the very notion that if i cock up hundreds if not thousands will suffer fills me with dread, same goes for say minister for defence. Anyone not scared or at least nervous and aware of the huge responsibility should be barred from the role.

We should pick qualified experienced older individuals who are shit scared of the job and really dont want to do it. Force them into say a 5 yr appointment with the proviso that if they do a good job they can quit, with a nice pension and the nations thanks, if they **** up they face 10yrs running the local council commitee on waste disposal

Not 'scared'. Fear can debilitating.
They should have vocational respect,moral integrity and a huge sense of 'ownership' of the task and its outcomes.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 9:16 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Not 'scared'. Fear can debilitating.
They should have vocational respect,moral integrity and a huge sense of 'ownership' of the task and its outcomes.
ok granted, scared may be to much, how about a sense of trepidation, a degree of nervousness, an inherent sense of the onerous task they are presented with, an appreciation of the daily impact on millions of lives that their ideas, policies and actions will have.........
Old Jun 5th 2009, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Just on BBC News now . Geoff Hoon and Marg Becket have also thrown in the towel .
More like rats jumping a sinking ship i think.
I say get rid of the lot of them the tea leaves the lot of them.
Pc Plod should be brought in to jail the lot of them.

Ohhh Ohh Breaking news Caroline Flint has also thrownin the towel as well.
Gordon (i am shitxxing myself ) Brown is now on BBC
Still not going to step down (Idiot)