Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Delays

Passport Delays

Old Jun 21st 2011, 11:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by grumpy39
I just spoke to them this morning and was told my 3 kids passports haven't even started processing and we travel on the 13th July!! I sent them in on the 24th of May!!

Can I cancel them and just get emergency travel docs and get new passports back home??
If they're first time passports rather than renewals, wouldn't be able to get ETD's.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

renu5idhu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Will-yates
I'm a first time poster and it's indeed a blessing to hear these stories of people with passports as I'm still waiting. My timeline is as follows:

Sent - April 12th
CC Charged - May 20th
Call to careline #1 - June 9th (Helpful: wait and see; if not call in a week)
Call to careline #2 - June 16th (Unhelpful: said it's in process; any day now.)
Call to careline #3 - June 21st (Helpful: Sent through Escalation to DC)

When I applied there was nothing about a delay in process; I presumed that 4 - 6 weeks was fine so booked a trip for our family to surprise my mum on her 60th birthday (which is on the 28th). We were due to fly out of Minneapolis for London Gatwick on Friday (24th). My second call to the careline last week told me it was in process, is taking four weeks from cc-charge and they can't escalate things. I called again today and the woman, Becky, who was very nice, said the renewal is at the "data entry" stage and still has to go through "signing, printing and quality assessing."
She did send through an escalation note to Washington, but I've pretty much given up hope on the look of surprise we wanted to see on my mum as she see's us and her two granddaughters who are 1 and 3 1/2.
fingers crossed you get it in time.. in the US u can usually get next day delivary...
Old Jun 21st 2011, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

mshedden is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by renu5idhu
yep, i was told that too and then i also checked their web page again and another notice as of june 17th said expect 10 weeks after payment, so thats four weeks for them to open the application and charge the card and then a 10 week wait, thats around three and a half months!! i'm surprised this hasnt made news anywhere!!
So, who's got the oldest 'payment taken date' with nothing to show for it?

Mine was rec'd March 23, Payment taken April 15

10 Weeks of processing following payment is June 24th.

Beat that...
Old Jun 21st 2011, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Will-yates
I'm a first time poster and it's indeed a blessing to hear these stories of people with passports as I'm still waiting. My timeline is as follows:

Sent - April 12th
CC Charged - May 20th
Call to careline #1 - June 9th (Helpful: wait and see; if not call in a week)
Call to careline #2 - June 16th (Unhelpful: said it's in process; any day now.)
Call to careline #3 - June 21st (Helpful: Sent through Escalation to DC)

When I applied there was nothing about a delay in process; I presumed that 4 - 6 weeks was fine so booked a trip for our family to surprise my mum on her 60th birthday (which is on the 28th). We were due to fly out of Minneapolis for London Gatwick on Friday (24th). My second call to the careline last week told me it was in process, is taking four weeks from cc-charge and they can't escalate things. I called again today and the woman, Becky, who was very nice, said the renewal is at the "data entry" stage and still has to go through "signing, printing and quality assessing."
She did send through an escalation note to Washington, but I've pretty much given up hope on the look of surprise we wanted to see on my mum as she see's us and her two granddaughters who are 1 and 3 1/2.
You're a month behind me and I don't have mine yet. Unless the escalation 'works' (my wife's did NOT, twice) your only hope it to get a appt for an ETD ASAP and get to the consulate in person with 2 photos and whatever paperwork they ask for (green card etc).
Old Jun 21st 2011, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mshedden
So, who's got the oldest 'payment taken date' with nothing to show for it?

Mine was rec'd March 23, Payment taken April 15

10 Weeks of processing following payment is June 24th.

Beat that...
Seriously i think were all in the same boat, waiting for our passports, this is just a nice way of being able to see if other pple are having any luck with chasing applications as you can not track them on line. Its not to see who gets their passport first. Its meant to be helpful and pple are meant to be understanding each other as most of us are waiting everyday for either a call back or a passport.
I think all of us here agree that this process is ridiculous, but unfortunately, had most of us had known it would take this long, we would of sent it to a relative in the Uk and had it back with in a month. Nothing can be done apart from wait and wait a little longer, spend more money talking to the wonderful careline and read some more entries on here hopefully great stories of pple actually receiving their passports.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Seriously i think were all in the same boat, waiting for our passports, this is just a nice way of being able to see if other pple are having any luck with chasing applications as you can not track them on line. Its not to see who gets their passport first. Its meant to be helpful and pple are meant to be understanding each other as most of us are waiting everyday for either a call back or a passport.
I think all of us here agree that this process is ridiculous, but unfortunately, had most of us had known it would take this long, we would of sent it to a relative in the Uk and had it back with in a month. Nothing can be done apart from wait and wait a little longer, spend more money talking to the wonderful careline and read some more entries on here hopefully great stories of pple actually receiving their passports.
forgot to say, yep urs has been a while... so what i dont understand, is why this situation hasnt come across any headline, might help other pple who have applied and dont know about this web site.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

forgot to say, yep urs has been a while... so what i dont understand, is why this situation hasnt come across any headline, might help other pple who have applied and dont know about this web site.
If it hit the news, it would just get worse - anyone even thinking about a passport would immediately send in their application...which seems to be what happened in the UK in 1999 when they had a similar problem.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mshedden
If it hit the news, it would just get worse - anyone even thinking about a passport would immediately send in their application...which seems to be what happened in the UK in 1999 when they had a similar problem.
yes and they also compensated many pple and got in more staff to deal with that situation. If nobody knows about it or investigates this really is going to take a long time to clear up. Next you will hear that they are temporarily not accepting any applications until they clear their backlog. ( i really hope that doesnt happen... just saying, they went from 4 weeks, to we are facing some delays to 4 weeks from card payment to 10 weeks from card payment all in one month!)
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for sharing that. Very interesting! That report suggests they met 99.9% of travel dates, back then!! I wonder how Washington is doing!!
Probably worse. The backlog in the UK was inflated by a lot of applications that people brought forward from late 1999 into the early part of the year, after reading newspaper reports of the backlog.

There has been no similar media or political focus on the problems at the Washington Embassy so the same inflation of the backlog doesn't exist ... on the same basis, and based on anecdotal accounts on this forum, it may be up to 5%.

And unlike the situation in Britain, there is no external pressure on the Foreign Office to sort things out. Even the phone line situation is different. While in Britain, the phone backlog caused huge problems for the Passport Agency, the premium rate phonelines used by the Foreign Office mean, if anything, greater profits for the company running them.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Probably worse. The backlog in the UK was inflated by a lot of applications that people brought forward from late 1999 into the early part of the year, after reading newspaper reports of the backlog.

There has been no similar media or political focus on the problems at the Washington Embassy so the same inflation of the backlog doesn't exist ... on the same basis, and based on anecdotal accounts on this forum, it may be up to 5%.

And unlike the situation in Britain, there is no external pressure on the Foreign Office to sort things out. Even the phone line situation is different. While in Britain, the phone backlog caused huge problems for the Passport Agency, the premium rate phonelines used by the Foreign Office mean, if anything, greater profits for the company running them.
and the greater profits will continue until someone actually looks into it. I have put towards their profits 5 times in hopes that they are actually doing something apart from saying, we have put in a request!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

and the greater profits will continue until someone actually looks into it. I have put towards their profits 5 times in hopes that they are actually doing something apart from saying, we have put in a request!
Exactly. The Passport Agency in the UK were forced by media and Parliamentary scrutiny to do something about the crisis - quickly. This included allowing Post Offices to extend valid passports for 2 years (the same thing could be done by British consuls, if the Foreign Office was so minded), and compensating those who missed their holidays.

As of now, there is no sign of anything similar for those caught in the passport mess at Washington DC.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Exactly. The Passport Agency in the UK were forced by media and Parliamentary scrutiny to do something about the crisis - quickly. This included allowing Post Offices to extend valid passports for 2 years (the same thing could be done by British consuls, if the Foreign Office was so minded), and compensating those who missed their holidays.

As of now, there is no sign of anything similar for those caught in the passport mess at Washington DC.
im wondering if we start some kind of petition it might help? It may not get passports straight away but perhaps come up with a suitable time frame. As it stands Jersey has a 6 week wait right now... that was on bbc news web site.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 2:56 am
JAJ
Retired

im wondering if we start some kind of petition it might help? It may not get passports straight away but perhaps come up with a suitable time frame. As it stands Jersey has a 6 week wait right now... that was on bbc news web site.
The Jersey government maintains its own passport service. If this is inadequate, then the people in Jersey need to put pressure on their government to sort it out.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ

Indeed - this is a different game than in 1999. There is no incentive to perform. Those customers (and I hesitate to say taxpayers because we are not most likely) who do not receive service may at their own inconvenience purchase an ETD for 75% additional fee (if they qualify). Responsibility for losses incurred by customers due to non performance has been taken care of by the disclaimers, and customer complaints have been insulated and buffered by careline. (In fact, customers who complain to careline by email are instructed that their complaint can best be handled by calling careline, at the regular rate of extortion!! Who dreamt that up?).

Finally, what is the true cause of delay? The system ought to work like a production line. Normally, in the case of extra demand, there would be a delay in the process (ie starting of processing of later passports would be delayed due to backlog), but the actual time to WORK on each passport should remain the same, all things being equal. This does not appear to be the case here - the time to process each passport seems to have increased to 10 weeks once processing has begun. One could infer that they find it acceptable to have 10 weeks worth of work 'in process' rather than completing a smaller amount in the normal time frame. (Or alternatively, the priority is to take the $$$ as quickly as possible, call it 'in process' from then and leave them in a pile somewhere, to be completed as and when they catch up to them).

Lastly, we are currently at step 3 of a 5 step process to move all passport processing back to the UK. They were supposed to be printing all passports in the UK from April, but they are not. Something has gone wrong in this process and that is probably what is upsetting workflow. Most likely there is actually no extra demand, just a screw up in the process.

Last edited by mshedden; Jun 22nd 2011 at 5:14 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

jagruti6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I wonder what they mean by to process ? Does that mean when they will actually put it together or when they mail it out or you expect to receive it? My husbands passport was received in DC on March 25th and payment taken on April 14th . We will be at the 10 week mark in a few days .
My guess would be she meant until it is complete and mailed out. I say that because my payment was taken on April 19th therefore 10 weeks for me would actually be June 28th. She gave me July 5th as the date she would estimate me getting my passport. I assume she factored in a week for delivery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.