Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Naturalization Ceremony in St Paul scheduled!! + Question...

Naturalization Ceremony in St Paul scheduled!! + Question...

Old Apr 15th 2009, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

speedyvespa is on a distinguished road
Talking Naturalization Ceremony in St Paul scheduled!! + Question...

I have my Naturalization ceremony scheduled for May 6th!! Woo hoo!! Then I can be a proper Amerikin, as opposed to a lodger, you don't know happy and relieved that makes me. I'll be very proud and happy to swear in.

I have a question for anyone who has been to the St Paul courthouse for their ceremony - can you take your family? Probably only my wife at this point, but in-laws may well want to come also.

TIA!
Old Apr 16th 2009, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Paw1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Naturalization Ceremony in St Paul scheduled!! + Question...

I don't see why not. Afterall it is a very important day. I've heard that the whole family can be there. It may also depend on the location. Mine is in KCK in June, I plan to have family too. Here's a nice link if you're like me and curious of what all happens during the oath ceremony.
http://www.immihelp.com/citizenship/...-ceremony.html
Old Apr 16th 2009, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Paw1
I don't see why not. Afterall it is a very important day. I've heard that the whole family can be there. It may also depend on the location. Mine is in KCK in June, I plan to have family too. Here's a nice link if you're like me and curious of what all happens during the oath ceremony.
http://www.immihelp.com/citizenship/...-ceremony.html
Thank you for that link! I was wondering the 'God' stuff, as I'm not a believer myself, but not to the extent I refuse to say it so I don't feel inclined to ask for it to be changed. The Social Security office is a couple of blocks away so I'll probably go there straight away afterwards, certificate in hand, suit on, beaming smile etc

Thanks again!
Old Apr 16th 2009, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be requesting an opt-out of the god and "on oath" bits. Has anyone here done that? What kind of evidence do you need to prove you are an athiest?

I can't believe I have to give up my hereditary titles. Sheesh.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

And massive congratulations, have a great day!
Old Apr 16th 2009, 6:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime
I'll be requesting an opt-out of the god and "on oath" bits. Has anyone here done that? What kind of evidence do you need to prove you are an athiest?

I can't believe I have to give up my hereditary titles. Sheesh.
One of the old school posters from the original group (he was a great researcher and contributor) detailed his journey with the Oath and religion. He detailed it in his (updated, ooh!) site: http://www.kkeane.info/naturalizatio...-religion.html

Preface Note

The issue below has been resolved. USCIS acted very quickly and efficiently and handled it very well. Before my oath ceremony, on the ceremony grounds, they paged me and informed me that I was of course allowed to take the modified oath. It is good to see them work so well!

For naturalization applicants: I would encourage you to make a conscious decision about this clause of the oath. If you want to take it with the religious term, by all means do so. If you do not want to use this phrase, ask to have it removed! It is not mentioned in any of the instructions, but USCIS policy, as well as the US Constitution, does allow you to remove it just for the asking - even though you might have to fight for it a little as I did.

Remember, as a prospective US Citizen, it is your First Amendment!

In addition, I want to thank Americans United for Separation of Church and State for their very generous help! This is an awesome organization, incidentally is led by an ordained minister, that works to keep government out of churches, and churches out of the government.
(more)
Old Apr 16th 2009, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fantastic, thanks for the link. Sounds like it's pretty easy to organize. Speedy - you should do it! Assert your right to not believe.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Would I need to ask for the words to be removed up front, or just on the day? I guess I'm not 100% clear on that part. Mr. Keane requested that on his N-400 which is now well behind me.

Part of me doesn't think it's a religious statement anyway - perhaps a deist one? Not that I'm a deist - but it's such an abstract thing to say it's verging on the innocuous. Personally, I don't feel like a hypocrite.

I'm actually a member of the ffrf but not as much as an activist as some. If I was going to get incensed about the oath verbiage then I should be bothered every time I use a dollar bill.

Still, part of me does get very defensive of the First Amendment... I very genuinely care about the US Constitution and I'll be very happy and proud to promise to defend it.

Speaking as a Brit who was a 'subject' of a queen who was apparently hand selected by 'god' to 'reign over me', thus justifying why I had to hand over a wad of cash to the scrounging loafers - that all seems more and more utterly insane the longer I live here.

MUCH prefer the American way just wish I'd have thought about those final 4 words when filling out my N-400... ah well.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedyvespa
Would I need to ask for the words to be removed up front, or just on the day?
It's worth a try! Ask when you hand over your paperwork.
Part of me doesn't think it's a religious statement anyway - perhaps a deist one? Not that I'm a deist - but it's such an abstract thing to say it's verging on the innocuous. Personally, I don't feel like a hypocrite.
I'm pretty sure it was added in the 50s in a fit of anti-communist fervor at the same time as the "under god" part of the pledge of allegiance. If that's the case then those who inserted it were almost certainly theists, not deists, and they understood it to mean the Judeo-Christian god.
Still, part of me does get very defensive of the First Amendment... I very genuinely care about the US Constitution and I'll be very happy and proud to promise to defend it.

Speaking as a Brit who was a 'subject' of a queen who was apparently hand selected by 'god' to 'reign over me', thus justifying why I had to hand over a wad of cash to the scrounging loafers - that all seems more and more utterly insane the longer I live here.

MUCH prefer the American way
You are making me tear up ;-) I feel very much the same, but you put it better than I ever could. Unfortunately I think many Americans have lost sight of how powerful and visionary the constitution is/was, and how important the separation of church and state has been in making the US the country it is today.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Paw1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm actually considering asking them if I can skip the 'so help me God' portion of the oath. If not then I'm alright with it too; it doesn't bother me that much. It's not like that goes against my beliefs, after all, I'm a non-believer.