Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Completely re-train to qualify for ANY of the MODL professions... What to choose?

Completely re-train to qualify for ANY of the MODL professions... What to choose?

Old Apr 9th 2009, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Perpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Completely re-train to qualify for ANY of the MODL professions... What to choose?

If you had no previous training or work experience that applies to the professions currently listed on the MODL, and were looking to apply for a permanent resident visa through one of these profession on the MODL list - where would you start?

In other words - which profession would be the best choice if you were looking to quickly acquire the necessary training and work experience in the UK in order to be eligible to qualify for any of the professions currently on the MODL list and to be classified as a skilled migrant?

For the sake of argument I am disregarding age, inherited talents etc.

The reason I am asking is, of course, that I am in this situation. I have a university degree in something completely irrelevant (Politics!) and years of work experience as a Marketing professional. But this is not quite MODL material How I wish I had actually studied something useful...

Any advice for someone who are looking to completely retrain in order to achieve permanent residence? The work itself would not be the main concern - more a means to an end.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all
Default Re: Completely re-train to qualify for ANY of the MODL professions... What to choose?

It's a dangerous route to take. DIAC can and do change the MODL. What if you choose something on there and then it gets removed?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

JENNYMG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Completely re-train to qualify for ANY of the MODL professions... What to choose?

Originally Posted by cookiestar
It's a dangerous route to take. DIAC can and do change the MODL. What if you choose something on there and then it gets removed?
nursing
Old Apr 9th 2009, 6:42 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

I agree...I don't think nursing has ever been removed from the MODL.

If you can't see yourself fixing broken bones & other such horrors (*faint*) try Mental Health Nursing...it might appeal to you & can lead to some interesting work in the future.

I'm mental health trained & have rarely worked in a hospital...I've worked in Social Services in the community, for the police, for drugs & alcohol services & most recently in Forensic Psychiatry.... next I'm thinking of doing some health awareness counselling in schools with teenagers. I have always found something interesting to do & some great people to work with

Best of luck
Old Apr 9th 2009, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Perpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the replies.

Working as a Registered Mental Health Nurse would be an interesting option. When looking at the immi.gov.au website it states about this profession that the entry requirement is "a bachelor degree or higher qualification". Does this mean universitiy degrees only are considered?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

JENNYMG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Perpetual Tourist

Working as a Registered Mental Health Nurse would be an interesting option. When looking at the immi.gov.au website it states about this profession that the entry requirement is "a bachelor degree or higher qualification". Does this mean universitiy degrees only are considered?
hi
most nursing courses now are degree anyway.
good luck with your researching!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:50 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

And remember....choosing a career on the MODL is only to get you into the country in the first place...if you find it really isn't your cup of tea, there's nothing stopping you from working in any profession you like....

Perhaps I shouldn't be telling you that
Old Apr 10th 2009, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

hk_1 will become famous soon enoughhk_1 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Completely re-train to qualify for ANY of the MODL professions... What to choose?

Friend,

I also think that you can't plan everything ahead exactly, before choosing
any perticular field ask yourself how good it will be for you generaly
rather then choosing it specificaly for Australian immigration do it for
a better life altogether, then maybe you get the bonus of Australia
as well, that was my personal opinion in order to minimize any risk in
case at the end your hardwork doesnt meet your own expectations
because of some policy change, for example removal from modl, csl

Best of luck,
Old Apr 10th 2009, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Wise words from all of you, thank you again.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 11:26 am
Just Joined

nita.cg is an unknown quantity at this point

Why don't you try a student visa maybe study for masters in politics for 2years and then get onshore graduate visa. During your studying years you can be looking for something in your chosen career than starting from scratch to me doing nursing after studying politics and have worked in marketing look really desperate.. After studying for two years in Aus you will be better informed about career prospects.. You just need to look for a 2year masters degree and money to support yourself while studying, cant help there.. Remember on a student visa you can only work for 20hrs a week.
GOOD LUCK
Old Apr 13th 2009, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Studying for a masters in politics for two years is a total waste of time if that job is not on the skills in demand list (I am assuming it is not as you already have that qualification). It needs to be a 50 or 60 point job to be able to get the graduate visa.

Hubbie and I had thought about retraining in the UK, we could have had a good full time wage coming in while the other studied. The thing that stopped us was the years of experiance you need on top of your training if it is done anywhere other than Oz (for the skills assessment). After 2 years of study, 3 years of working who knows if that job would even be in demand anymore. Not to mention if we did not enjoy the course but were trapped in that job for years.

We have come over on a student visa, studying a trade for two years, as that was the cheapest option (still $20k min). We are both restricted to 20 hours a week work, but I will only have to do 900 hours work for the skills assessment which can be at the same time as the course, rather than at the end.
We are very glad we have come here, and in a years time the course will be over and fingers crossed we should be on a bridging visa waiting for PR.

Good luck

ps, I would go for nursing if you are going to train in the UK, far more chance of getting sponsorship, and surely one of the most least likely to be taken off the skilled list.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Tom Ward has a brilliant futureTom Ward has a brilliant futureTom Ward has a brilliant futureTom Ward has a brilliant futureTom Ward has a brilliant futureTom Ward has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Perpetual Tourist

Hiya, just thought I'd chip in.... I did exactly what you've mentioned.... I retrained as a nurse to obtain a 175 visa, AND because I knew that big corporation business was no longer for me. I left my job in recruitment for IBM, started uni in 2003, qualified in 2006 (the best feeling in the world), gained 1 years experience, went back to uni to complete my degree while my visa application was being processed and received my 175 visa on 14th Feb 2009 (2nd best feeling in the world.... so far!). It was a long slog but I'd have to say with my hand on my heart that I am glad I made the switch. Dispite what everyone said, I stuck at it and I love my job regardless of all the red tape. Look out Brisbane, we'll be seeing you in Sept. Get on the wagon mate and go for it.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Just want to point out, that if you need more than 5 points for 2 years of academic study + possibly an extra 5 points for regional study, for your 120 points, you need at the moment to study for 3 years, to gain your 15 points for a masters. See 885 visa conditions.
A score of at least 7 from the IELTS is also worth 10 points.
Yes after 2 years study you can, at the moment, apply for the 485, 18 month graduate visa, but you must get work in an appropriate field for it to help for PR. I know there has been a thread from students who are on the 485, that in the present climate, work is not easy to find if you don't have PR, so are finding it very difficult to get the needed 1 year's work experience in their field.
Not wanting to put you off, for many of us it's the only route left to get PR, but be aware that the rules can and do change here. So it's important to keep up to date with all the new rules, in case you get caught out. Good luck
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

nicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to all

We have come over on a student visa, studying a trade for two years, as that was the cheapest option (still $20k min). We are both restricted to 20 hours a week work, but I will only have to do 900 hours work for the skills assessment which can be at the same time as the course, rather than at the end.
We are very glad we have come here, and in a years time the course will be over and fingers crossed we should be on a bridging visa waiting for PR.

I was wondering if you could offer any advice on Student Visa options. Me and my partner are currently living on the Gold Coast on a working holiday visa. We were going through the 457 visa to be sponsored by my partners welding company. This has now been withdrawn as they are closing by May

He cant find another job as an unqualified welder never mind a sponsorship with it. Our only other option to stay here is a student visa. We would really struggle to afford 20 hours work each per week whilst paying rent and course fees.

I was advised that if I study a masters degree or above, he would be able to work full time whilst I can work 20 hours. I couldn't stomach being a nurse and am drawn to physiotherapy as my background studies were in sport and exercise. Do you have any advice on how I go about this and if its something you would advise? Our visas run out in June and so I need to figure a plan ASAP

Were so settled and happy here now, we just don't want to have to return to the UK and start all over again.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea about how masters degrees work out for PR at the end, you would be best off talking to a migration agent for that.
I believe masters are both longer and more expensive than trade though, so it might not work out any more affordable.

We are lucky that we had the money from our house sale for the course fees, but the two part time hours pay for everything else.

Good luck, it certainly is not an easy country to get into.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.