Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

So it's claimed that $72.563 billion worth of projects are on hold in Dubai

So it's claimed that $72.563 billion worth of projects are on hold in Dubai

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Squirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So it's claimed that $72.563 billion worth of projects are on hold in Dubai

Originally Posted by Autonomy
"A list of project cancellations and delays of properties in Dubai, which has been emailed to Kipp on at least three occasions, has caused a stir among the emirate’s expatriates.

If the list is accurate, then approximately $72.563 billion worth of projects are on hold, and $3.275 billion have been cancelled."

http://www.kippreport.com/projectcan...ncellation.jpg

Full article here: http://www.kippreport.com/kipp/2009/...ist-of-losers/
So they're not ALL Dubai projects then - Al Ain and Abu Dhabi are included
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

albob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: So it's claimed that $72.563 billion worth of projects are on hold in Dubai

This list is a pile of crap. Take for example the Nakheel tower and harbour project. They say it's worth $38bn, however what has been done? They hired the architects, did the engineering and started a tiny bit of digging at the site. Why isn't the jumeirah gardens project on there? We could probably list a whole load of other projects that never got started that would push the total value to something like $500bn!
In fact I just announced a new super duper megaproject with a 10km tower that is worth a trillion. I have just stuck a shovel into the ground at the site. Maybe that should be included in the list too.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:54 pm
W10

It's not rocket science. The value in this list, is the estimated value of the project if built.

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

highlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by highlander393
yes jumeirah gradens should be on there . that would add at least another US100 million to the figure ( that is how much they went to the overseas banks in loans for) .it is on indefinite hold at the moment. the developer apparently hasnt paid any of the consultants (including one architect is apparently owed in the region of £30million and one of the engineering consultants in excess of £6 million and another £2million)

oops that should be US 100 billion
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

albob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by W10
It's not rocket science. The value in this list, is the estimated value of the project if built.
I know that, but then the figure is way off. Even one missed megaproject such as jumeirah gardens will be more than that total figure.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

B Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by albob
I know that, but then the figure is way off. Even one missed megaproject such as jumeirah gardens will be more than that total figure.
...just listened in the car to the business prog at 0600 on Dubai Eye,and the interview with some chap from the company which monitors continuously the progress across the UAE, sounds like this is the report that is about to be released - I think it is called 'Insight' or some such thing - he was trying not to sound too depressed.......... Just noticed as well a little piece in 7 days yesterday casually saying that Jebel Ali airport now not on line until mid 2010 due to financial and licencing issues.......
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:09 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by albob
This list is a pile of crap. Take for example the Nakheel tower and harbour project. They say it's worth $38bn, however what has been done? They hired the architects, did the engineering and started a tiny bit of digging at the site. Why isn't the jumeirah gardens project on there? We could probably list a whole load of other projects that never got started that would push the total value to something like $500bn!
In fact I just announced a new super duper megaproject with a 10km tower that is worth a trillion. I have just stuck a shovel into the ground at the site. Maybe that should be included in the list too.
please please tell me you are not an architect or connected to the construction industry
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:24 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Slingshot
please please tell me you are not an architect or connected to the construction industry
Isn't he a Banker?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:43 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Isn't he a Banker?
aah that explains it
Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by highlander393
yes jumeirah gradens should be on there . that would add at least another US100 million to the figure ( that is how much they went to the overseas banks in loans for) .it is on indefinite hold at the moment. the developer (meraas) apparently hasnt paid any of the consultants (including one architect is apparently owed in the region of £30million and one of the engineering consultants in excess of £6 million and another £2million)
I can confirm that the above statement is 100% CORRECT !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Sintra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by W10
The list does say Meydan has been cancelled though...

It also doesn't list several big projects which were announced but never got off the ground.

Lagoon (Sama Dubai)
The Universe
Jumeirah Garden City

plus

Most of Dubailand

Hi, does anybody have more details on Dubailand / Sports City developements? are they going down the drain too?
Old Feb 20th 2009, 12:38 pm
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough

I'd like to hear the scoop on Sports City too. My brilliant hubby invested there!:curse:
Old Feb 20th 2009, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Sintra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tami2
I'd like to hear the scoop on Sports City too. My brilliant hubby invested there!:curse:

I am sooo in the same boat. Men and brilliant ideas !! We invested there with 3 grand of our own, and everything else owed to the bank. Our studio is still a heap of sand (since 2006) and I see it going nowhere. Had it been for me I would have gone on a HOLIDAY to Dubai with 3 grand! But you know what? stupid me for letting it happen!

If anyone has better insights into the Dubai property market then I will ever have, comments appreciated. Thanks

My stance is sit still at this stage, cause the only payments left to make are on handover (if...).
What are your ideas on possible options?
Will this developement ever be finished, and if not what do you think will happen to investors' money? (it's in escrow accounts so technically retrievable right?)
Old Feb 20th 2009, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Foxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really nice

The current laws are not in favour of the investor in relation to trying to retrieve funds from developments which have been delayed - even if held in escrow accounts. The laws tend to concentrate on the master development schedule rather then the individual towers. I have family from UK who have confirmed delays of 18-36 months on their investments - but have managed to reschedule the payment plans through "diagnostic" discussions with the developers sales and accounts dept. They have been lucky as the developer are reputable but those who have bought with small developers may not be so lucky.

RERA are making changes on a daily basis so worth keeping an eye on gulf news. i beleive they have introuced a 6 month residency visa for the purchase of certain property.