Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Any resource to learn Australian accent before landing there?

Any resource to learn Australian accent before landing there?

Old Jan 31st 2009, 9:02 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any resource to learn Australian accent before landing there?

Originally Posted by legolasWood
You are completely right, I need to practice listening. I heard that Australian accent is different and is harder to understand when we compare it with American and British.

Thanks
It may depend on where you go. I find the accent in Victoria to be pretty mild. I'd say it's easier than some of the US accents I've come across and definitely easier than some British accents (Glasgow springs to mind). I know someone was joking earlier but have you tried listening to neighbours.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
http://www.upfromaustralia.com/aussieslang.html

Your air fridge Strine will use all of these.
So would the air fridge sow air freek in tha(t) now lives in England wo(t) has air six neighbours fi(t) in or righ(t) yeah?
Old Feb 1st 2009, 1:09 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Though Australia hasn’t had time to develop massive regional differences, the accent does vary.

Canberra has the most un-Australian accent. All of the inflections and stereotypes are less noticeable there than anywhere else.

Melbourne is not so bad, but you will find most people pronounce the letter E as an A and vice versa – so Melbourne is pronounced ‘Malbourne’, and alleyway is pronounced as 'elleyway'.

Everything from Sydney north is more ocker. In Sydney you will start to notice the accent has more of a drawl to it – listen to Sydney newsreaders and you will hear beach pronounced as ‘boiech’ and Bega pronounced as ‘Boiega’.

By the time you reach Queensland you might wish somebody would provide subtitles!

But like any country it takes a few weeks to adapt to the different way of speaking. Moving between the UK and Australia I found I had to make adjustments either way, and then moving to India was, well, a GIGANTIC challenge to overcome!

Last edited by SNH; Feb 1st 2009 at 1:18 am.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNH
Melbourne is not so bad, but you will find most people pronounce the letter E as an A and vice versa – so Melbourne is pronounced ‘Malbourne’, and alleyway is pronounced as 'elleyway'.

Everything from Sydney north is more ocker. In Sydney you will start to notice the accent has more of a drawl to it – listen to Sydney newsreaders and you will hear beach pronounced as ‘boiech’ and Bega pronounced as ‘Boiega’.
I've noticed the Sydney variation in just sports commentators. I do get annoyed when disgruntled expats slag off every Australian accent going - we've met many a person with frankly, quite a nice accent. It's not English RP, but nor is it typically Australian either. It fact it would be a good showcase for an international English accent.

Generally sort of polished, but not cut-glass - although we've heard that too.
Diction very good. There's also an accent I've heard on the train where a women (generally a older women >40) over pronounces consonants, especially 't's so much it's bizarre - but you sort of have to give points for the diction.

By contrast, I think that many an English accent is let down by diction and in the SE, the RP accent is so fast disappearing in favour of Estuary and Mockney.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 2:40 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNH
By the time you reach Queensland you might wish somebody would provide subtitles!
To be fair you shouldn't have a problem with urbanite Queenslanders but when you go bush or far north, that's when you might be saying "eh?" quite a bit.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 3:01 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SNH
I think you'll find it's pronounced "Melbin" or "Melbun". I must admit I've not heard Malbourne