Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

cant buy a car without a NS licence

cant buy a car without a NS licence

Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of
Default cant buy a car without a NS licence

Hi all

went out looking today to buy our first car here in NS, did not relize that it cant be done until we have a Ns licence, :curse: bummer we have now got to squat up on the drivers handbook, and pass our theory before next thursday when our hire car goes back, whats the theory test like is it a piece of cake

paul and joanne
Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cant buy a car without a NS licence

thats total rubbish who told you that:curse:
we have bought a car in nova scotia with no nova scotia licence with no problems whatsoever!! in fact i still havent got my nova scotia licence although husband has
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada Dreams
Hi all

went out looking today to buy our first car here in NS, did not relize that it cant be done until we have a Ns licence, :curse: bummer we have now got to squat up on the drivers handbook, and pass our theory before next thursday when our hire car goes back, whats the theory test like is it a piece of cake

paul and joanne
It's not just the theory part you have to pass to get your NS licence, you have to also book to take a road test after you pass the theory. I had to wait about 6 weeks before I got a date for mine. The theory test is really not that difficult, a lot of it is common sense. The actual driving test took about 10 minutes.
Are you sure who ever told you this didn't mean you have to get insurance, not your licence? We also bought cars before we got our NS drivers licence. You are allowed to drive for 90 days in NS on your UK licence.
Have you read this wiki article about buying cars in Canada - some useful advice in it
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Car_Buying-Canada
Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

hi guys

we went to buy a car at saturn main dealer in dartmouth, thats who has told us that, so is this incorrect then?????
Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

definitely, we bought our truck without a NS license. In fact took test a month after we bought the truck
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

i dont know, when we went to pay for the car, they said before we purchace the car we had to have a NS licence, so they could register the car, for a plate etc.

what do you think we should do, go elsewhere i supose :curse:
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

Go to motor vehicle opposite the Halifax mall and request a master number. This can be done in minutes. The dealer does NOT need the actual licence but WILL need the master number to register the vehicle.

i dont know, when we went to pay for the car, they said before we purchace the car we had to have a NS licence, so they could register the car, for a plate etc.

what do you think we should do, go elsewhere i supose :curse:
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

sorry is that a garage?? we are up in new minas, is there anywhere else to go and get this

thanks
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:55 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Dont know about NS, but I took my Ontario test back in the day in the Jeep I leased here, so I must have managed to get that with my UK license...

A UK license is legal anywhere in Canada, but only for a few months generally. Personally I think you have been misinformed.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

sorry is that a garage?? we are up in new minas, is there anywhere else to go and get this

thanks
It is a Service Nova Scotia location. See here http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/contact/s...sp?service=RMV for other offices.

More info here http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/rmv/registration/

Hope that helps.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

When we bought our truck we got a temp license which was good for 4 weeks and when we passed our test as we got our license we transfered and got plates
Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Homegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant future

If I were you I would buy a car somewhere other than the place that told you that you needed an NS licence, then go back and show them the car you bought (at one of their competitors) without an NS license.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice

We bought our escape from our local ford dealer and we had our UK license. We then went in to get our plate and they gave us a master number without having to do the test. They did say however that we should only drive for 90 days with our UK licence.

Go somewhere else if they dont know what they are doing
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

all understood now we need to go to acess nova scotia, and get our master number by paying for a fee for a test, and book an appointment, then we can purchase the car, this is what they have said anyway, so maybe they have changed things we dont know>>>>

thank again
Old Oct 10th 2008, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy a car and get your plates from Access Nova Scotia before your test. I have heard of other Brits being told they can't but the dealers just aren't used to dealing with immigrants.

Also, check out this link to practice for your theory test http://www.yd.com/test.aspx?path=stream539

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.