Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sunshine in Canada (?)

Sunshine in Canada (?)

Old Sep 17th 2008, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

duffdude has a brilliant futureduffdude has a brilliant futureduffdude has a brilliant futureduffdude has a brilliant futureduffdude has a brilliant futureduffdude has a brilliant futureduffdude has a brilliant future
Cool Sunshine in Canada (?)

Hi guys,

I have heard how Calgary (and Edmonton) receive an average of around 300 days sunshine per year. From what I hear Vancouver seems to have 2 to 3 months of sun, and then be overcast the remainder. I am wondering if anyone can tell what Toronto is like for sun? Is there more sun than the UK? Is there much sun in winter?

To me temperature, and snow are not issues in living somewhere. What really gets me though is lack of light. I'd love the idea of living in Vancouver, but I honestly think I would get pretty depressed each winter. Can anyone who has experienced both tell me if Vancouver rain and lack of sunshine is noticibly worse than UK (as it sounds)?

Thanks!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:32 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sunshine in Canada (?)

Bright Sunshine per year averages from 1971to 2000:

Calgary 2405.3 hours, 332.9 days with measurable bright sunshine.
Edmonton 2288.6 hours, 322.6 days with measurable bright sunshine.
Toronto 2037.6 hours, 302.9 days with measurable bright sunshine.
Vancouver 1928 hours, 288.5 days with measurable bright sunshine.

Bright sunshine as a percentage of possible daylight hours, annual averages 1971-2000:

Calgary 52.5%
Edmonton 49%
Toronto 43.8%
Vancouver 40.3%

Bright sunshine as a percentage of possible daylight hours November-February, averages 1971-2000:

Calgary 46.1%
Edmonton 39.1%
Toronto 30.8%
Vancouver 24.3%
Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P

Bright sunshine as a percentage of possible daylight hours, annual averages 1971-2000:

Calgary 52.5%
Edmonton 49%
Toronto 43.8%
Vancouver 40.3%

Bright sunshine as a percentage of possible daylight hours November-February, averages 1971-2000:

Calgary 46.1%
Edmonton 39.1%
Toronto 30.8%
Vancouver 24.3%
Got any numbers for the UK?
Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
Sorry no.

I've never looked to see if they do the same thing as Environment Canada.

I smell a project coming on.

Edit: Well that didn't take long.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/...ata/index.html

I'll take a look and see if there are any comparisons.

Further edit: Bright Sunshine per year averages from 1971to 2000:

Greenwich 1461 hours
Manchester 1394.5 hours

Can't find any percentages.

Last edited by Steve_P; Sep 17th 2008 at 6:49 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry no.

I've never looked to see if they do the same thing as Environment Canada.

I smell a project coming on.

Edit: Well that didn't take long.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/...ata/index.html

I'll take a look and see if there are any comparisons.

Further edit: Bright Sunshine per year averages from 1971to 2000:

Greenwich 1461 hours
Manchester 1394.5 hours

Can't find any percentages.

So even Vancouver has more sun then London. Best to emigrate then.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:17 pm

So even Vancouver has more sun then London. Best to emigrate then.
Sort of looks that way.

But should that be the only criteria?

On second thought, why the hell not.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Looking at one station in particular, Ringway, I believe that the temperature listings are the maximum and minimum averages for the month and not the absolute maximum and minimum for the month....the values look too close to one another or is the temperature that consistent.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by clynnog
Looking at one station in particular, Ringway, I believe that the temperature listings are the maximum and minimum averages for the month and not the absolute maximum and minimum for the month....the values look too close to one another or is the temperature that consistent.
30 year averages from 1971 to 2000 seem indicated the average monthly highs and lows don't differ much in the winter months at Ringway.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/...r_airport.html

Certainly not the differences in highs and lows we see in some locales in Canada.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Percentage sunshine in UK

London 26%, Cornwall 28%, Blackpool 26%, Kent 32% and Highlands(Scotland) 20%. Peak sunshine is parts SE England 35%.

I am in Kent and would say living in the Ottawa Valley(Ontario) for 7 years seem to have plenty of dull days like you get in England. 2 years in Alberta was much brighter in winter, but colder/longer than Eastern Ontario.

Hudd
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by hudd
Percentage sunshine in UK

London 26%, Cornwall 28%, Blackpool 26%, Kent 32% and Highlands(Scotland) 20%. Peak sunshine is parts SE England 35%.
Those are some pretty dismal numbers, have you got a link to where they are kept?
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

happy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud of

Calgary 52.5%
Edmonton 49%
Toronto 43.8%
Vancouver 40.3%

Calgary 46.1%
Edmonton 39.1%
Toronto 30.8%
Vancouver 24.3%
Medicine Hat has 2435 hours of sunshine each year, making it Canada's Sunniest City!!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by happy hatter
Medicine Hat has 2435 hours of sunshine each year, making it Canada's Sunniest City!!
Actually the 30 year average is 2512.9 but he wasn't asking about Medicine Hat.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

happy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud of

Actually the 30 year average is 2512.9 but he wasn't asking about Medicine Hat.
Making Medicine Hat the sunniest, sunniest city in Canada. : Take that Lethbridge and get ready for the Tigers giving your boys a real good spanking this year.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

duffdude has a brilliant futureduffdude has a brilliant futureduffdude has a brilliant futureduffdude has a brilliant futureduffdude has a brilliant futureduffdude has a brilliant futureduffdude has a brilliant future

Wow cheers guys!

Those are some pretter interesting stats. I never would have thought Vancouver to be significantly better than the UK for sun, what with the way read people (not specifically on this forum) go on about the weather there.

The other surprising fact is how close Vancouver is to Toronto for sunshine .

I think Calgary would be my ideal weather, but I need somewhere more cosmopolitan and liberal... less money money money
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by duffdude
I think Calgary would be my ideal weather, but I need somewhere more cosmopolitan and liberal... less money money money
Just out of curiosity how do you come up with that opinion of Calgary?

Not the same people who are going on about Vancouver weather is it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.