Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SWIFT v. IBAN?

SWIFT v. IBAN?

Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:43 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute
Default SWIFT v. IBAN?

Hi there,

I've been trying to get some money transferred to me from my UK bank (Natwest) into my US bank account (US Bank).

When I went into my local US Bank branch to ask for their IBAN, they said they only had a SWIFT code. I gave this to my family member in the UK who is helping me with the transfer and they said Natwest rejected the code after attempting the transfer twice.

I went back to US Bank and asked again for the IBAN. Again they told me they only have a SWIFT code and I copied it down again in case I'd made a mistake the first time. Sent it to the UK... tried to transfer the money... still no joy.

What's going on? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice going. I'm really keen to get this money over here!
Old Sep 13th 2008, 7:26 am
me eds a shed

COWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SWIFT v. IBAN?

Originally Posted by gingerert
Hi there,

I've been trying to get some money transferred to me from my UK bank (Natwest) into my US bank account (US Bank).

When I went into my local US Bank branch to ask for their IBAN, they said they only had a SWIFT code. I gave this to my family member in the UK who is helping me with the transfer and they said Natwest rejected the code after attempting the transfer twice.

I went back to US Bank and asked again for the IBAN. Again they told me they only have a SWIFT code and I copied it down again in case I'd made a mistake the first time. Sent it to the UK... tried to transfer the money... still no joy.

Have a look a this ,US banks don't use IBAN numbers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...Account_Number
Old Sep 13th 2008, 4:38 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by COWBOY_BUILDER
Have a look a this ,US banks don't use IBAN numbers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...Account_Number
Thanks for that. It makes sense that US Bank would have given me the information that they did if they didn't use IBANs.

So why is Natwest unable to use their SWIFT code?
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:37 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. It makes sense that US Bank would have given me the information that they did if they didn't use IBANs.

So why is Natwest unable to use their SWIFT code?
Not sure what the problem is but I have had NatWest transfer money into a Wells Fargo account.

I am wondering if what you are getting is a routing code which I think is always a 9 digit number. On forms I have filled out there are separate boxes for the Swift code and routing code. The routing code is printed on your US checks.

I have always given the routing code for my US bank for wire transfers.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:12 pm
Ginger Monkey

Originally Posted by lansbury
Not sure what the problem is but I have had NatWest transfer money into a Wells Fargo account.

I am wondering if what you are getting is a routing code which I think is always a 9 digit number. On forms I have filled out there are separate boxes for the Swift code and routing code. The routing code is printed on your US checks.

I have always given the routing code for my US bank for wire transfers.
Interesting...

I gave my a/c number, routing code and SWIFT code to Natwest, but still no joy. I'm looking into a different method of transfer now, which may or may not end up costing me more money. Bleaugh.

Thanks for your help though!
Old Sep 18th 2008, 5:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting...

I gave my a/c number, routing code and SWIFT code to Natwest, but still no joy. I'm looking into a different method of transfer now, which may or may not end up costing me more money. Bleaugh.

Just use XE and stop piddling around ...
Old Sep 18th 2008, 6:03 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

What's going on is that they are ******* numpties. My suggestion is that you get a member of staff that is actually familiar with making transfers to the US - the person who is talking to you evidently doesn't know how to work their system.

Better still, if your UK money is in GBP, and your US account is in USD, join the BritishExpats cult and use XETrade (www.xe.com) to do all this yourself and circumvent the muppets.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

I dunno why you have a problem ? ... In every case when I have done it I just went to the bank, told them what I wanted to do, gave them the AC # and sort code at the UK bank and sent it ! ............ easy peasy japanesey
Old Sep 19th 2008, 12:12 am
Ginger Monkey

Originally Posted by Ray
Just use XE and stop piddling around ...
Piddle, piddle...
Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

it's just not cricket is a jewel in the roughit's just not cricket is a jewel in the roughit's just not cricket is a jewel in the roughit's just not cricket is a jewel in the rough

Interesting...

It sounds like Natwest are being incompetent to me.

All you need is your account number, routing number (also called ABA number) and the full address of your bank. The SWIFT code will also help but shouldn't be necessary.

From what you have said I don't think they tried to send the payment otherwise you would have lost some money through fees so it is probably the lack of IBAN that is confusing them and as a previous poster said the US doesn't use IBANs.

I used to work in international payments (not for Natwest) and most branches didn't have a clue about processing them.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:27 am
Just Joined

J-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really nice

When I transfered money a few weeks ago it ask for the SWIFT number or routing code and the IBAN number. As has been mentioned the US doesn't use IBAN numbers and when my fiancee asked at the bank (i.e. her mom who works there ) they said to put the routing number with the account number on the end in place of the IBAN. I did this and it went through fine.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:10 pm
Ginger Monkey

Originally Posted by it's just not cricket
It sounds like Natwest are being incompetent to me.

From what you have said I don't think they tried to send the payment otherwise you would have lost some money through fees so it is probably the lack of IBAN that is confusing them and as a previous poster said the US doesn't use IBANs.
Interesting. There is no record of a transfer being attempted on my online Natwest statement, so you might be onto something with the incompetency idea.

Is there a way to attempt a direct transfer online? I've only recently signed up for online banking and I couldn't see an option. Everything seemed to point towards going into a branch in person, but that's obviously no longer an option as I live in another flippin' country!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:15 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. There is no record of a transfer being attempted on my online Natwest statement, so you might be onto something with the incompetency idea.

Is there a way to attempt a direct transfer online? I've only recently signed up for online banking and I couldn't see an option. Everything seemed to point towards going into a branch in person, but that's obviously no longer an option as I live in another flippin' country!
When I arranged my transfers with NatWest I did so on the phone.

I was put through to the section that deals with arranging the transfers. The down side to doing so from the USA they call back on the number they have for you to confirm it was you making the request. They do this just before they make the transfer which can be late at night US time.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:28 pm
Ginger Monkey

Originally Posted by lansbury
When I arranged my transfers with NatWest I did so on the phone.

I was put through to the section that deals with arranging the transfers. The down side to doing so from the USA they call back on the number they have for you to confirm it was you making the request. They do this just before they make the transfer which can be late at night US time.
Sounds like phone is the way to go then! (Even if I get rudely awoken at some ungodly hour...)
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:30 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like phone is the way to go then! (Even if I get rudely awoken at some ungodly hour...)
Ask for the international Department

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.