Help - Telephone interview!

Old Aug 22nd 2008, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

Twinkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help - Telephone interview!

We lodged our ITA on 13th August and are waiting nervously to hear back. Next step will probably be the telephone interview, can anyone shed any light as to what questions they will ask, and do they speak to just the principle applicant?
Old Aug 24th 2008, 2:36 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - Telephone interview!

Hi Twinkie,

I had my phone interview in May, it lasted about 20 minutes and wasn't too bad! I was given PR so it must have gone ok My CO was friendly and pleasant and it wasn't too scary

I was asked:
why do you want to go to NZ and why now
what have you done to look for work
what do you think will be the main stumbling blocks you may come across
what if you cannot find a job in either your chosen town or your profession
where will you live
what sort of salary would you expect to get in your occupation
do you have any family or friends in NZ
what sort of research have you done into the move
how are you going to finance the move
do you have a house to sell

I am lucky in that my partner lives in NZ and so I have accommodation sorted and so on but I presume they may ask you to expand on some of the above such as your plans for accommodation when you get there etc. She seemed quite big on asking me what problems I felt I may encounter in regards to just about everything so maybe prepare some stock answers that you can just churn out. There were times when I felt I was repeating myself a lot!

I prepared some answers in advance and just waffled on for the others. The only thing I found a little disconcerting was that I could hear her typing manically in the background whenever I spoke

I'm pretty certain they only speak to the principle candidate but I'm sure someone will come on here and correct me if I'm wrong

Good luck, I presume you haven't got a job offer as you expect to have an interview. Where are you planning on moving to?

Sue
Old Aug 24th 2008, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Sue, that's really helpful as it'll be down to my hubby to do the interview as he's the pricipal applicant. I'd better tell him to get sorted!!!!

No we've not got job offers yet. We're looking at Tauranga and Mt Maunganui in The Bay of Plenty as where we'd like to live hopefully. At least I feel like we can be prepared now when the call comes, it's so nervewracking this wait!!!! I'll keep you posted, thanks again so much.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 9:30 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sue R
Hi Twinkie,

I had my phone interview in May, it lasted about 20 minutes and wasn't too bad! I was given PR so it must have gone ok My CO was friendly and pleasant and it wasn't too scary

I was asked:
why do you want to go to NZ and why now
what have you done to look for work
what do you think will be the main stumbling blocks you may come across
what if you cannot find a job in either your chosen town or your profession
where will you live
what sort of salary would you expect to get in your occupation
do you have any family or friends in NZ
what sort of research have you done into the move
how are you going to finance the move
do you have a house to sell

I am lucky in that my partner lives in NZ and so I have accommodation sorted and so on but I presume they may ask you to expand on some of the above such as your plans for accommodation when you get there etc. She seemed quite big on asking me what problems I felt I may encounter in regards to just about everything so maybe prepare some stock answers that you can just churn out. There were times when I felt I was repeating myself a lot!

I prepared some answers in advance and just waffled on for the others. The only thing I found a little disconcerting was that I could hear her typing manically in the background whenever I spoke

I'm pretty certain they only speak to the principle candidate but I'm sure someone will come on here and correct me if I'm wrong

Good luck, I presume you haven't got a job offer as you expect to have an interview. Where are you planning on moving to?

Sue
Yep it was the same for my OH, and only the main applicant gets a interview, he had no job here, or no accommodation sorted... but he had some contacts and we have friends in NZ...and we got PR also...don't worry the interview will be fine...and you wont be refused I can tell you that...
Old Aug 24th 2008, 9:33 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Twinkie
Thanks Sue, that's really helpful as it'll be down to my hubby to do the interview as he's the pricipal applicant. I'd better tell him to get sorted!!!!

No we've not got job offers yet. We're looking at Tauranga and Mt Maunganui in The Bay of Plenty as where we'd like to live hopefully. At least I feel like we can be prepared now when the call comes, it's so nervewracking this wait!!!! I'll keep you posted, thanks again so much.
we wanted to live in Tauranga and that way, but it boiled down to getting a good job offer that my hubby could not refuse...but who knows we may move on in the future but are here for now...and liking it
Old Aug 26th 2008, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

benjie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Twinkie
We lodged our ITA on 13th August and are waiting nervously to hear back. Next step will probably be the telephone interview, can anyone shed any light as to what questions they will ask, and do they speak to just the principle applicant?
Hie Twinkie -

We both in the same boat, submitted ITA on they received it on 14 August 2008 awaiting now for that phone intereview wonder how long it will take, lets just keep our fingers crossed good luck will update if l get any responce from them.

thanks

good luck

benjie
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Hi Benjie, glad to hear from you. Just been watching "Wanted Down Under" in Dunedin and getting more and more excited at the prospect that it may become a reality for us to be moving to NZ, and not just watching programmes on tv about other people doing it!! Good luck to you too, and to everyone else out there waiting to hear. Let you know soon as.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:57 pm
Short & Sweet

Spawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to all

Hiya Twinkie,
OH had interview early on this year. One of the main questons i remember was, what sort of support have you got out in N.Z. to help you adjust to your new life? OH very nervous, but interview went ok. Just got our visa'a this week.

Dawn
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Just to let you know we've had an e-mail stating that my OH has to have his qualifications assessed by NZQA now and that it will hold up our application if they do not receive them back from us by 26th Oct, chances are slim judging by Rock Ape's experience of 2 months waiting for his. Also want repeat blood tests for me and OH. Twinkie.