Nic.Gem.Soph EOI declined - Mechanic.

Old Aug 2nd 2008, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

nic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to all
Default Nic.Gem.Soph EOI declined - Mechanic.

Originally Posted by elsieB
Hi, we got selected 2 Jul 08 (SMC with Job offer!) We got our decision successful on 14 Jul 08 and received our ITA 15 Jul 08. Which was submitted on 31 Jul 08 (Managed to get medicals done and results etc straight away so really lucky) Don't give up hope.!!
Congratulations

we had an e-mail yesterday and phoned them up as it said our EOI was unsuccessful. Turns out although OH qualifications City and Guilds (as mechanic) etc get him a level 3, for it to be counted as work experience and bonus points etc it needs to be at level 4....!!!!! No one knows the difference between 3 and 4 and there are no more qualifications he could do... except a masters tech certificate which is quite rare over here!!! No help whatsoever. our only option "get a job offer!" tried explaining that whilst we were over there on holiday the garages would only give him a job once he had his visa, usual chicken and egg scenario.... but.... nothing.
Oh and to make it worse, we apparently can't go over on a work visa to get a job as OH is over 30!
what do we do now!!!

sorry about rant but am so p'ed off, thanks for listening!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 11:10 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: EOI selections 2nd July - anyone any news yet?

Originally Posted by nic.gem.soph
we had an e-mail yesterday and phoned them up as it said our EOI was unsuccessful. Turns out although OH qualifications City and Guilds (as mechanic) etc get him a level 3. For it to be counted as work experience and bonus points etc it needs to be at level 4....!!!!!
They are talking about NZ levels not UK levels.

Here is some insight as to the way the training works here in NZ,so you know where NZIS is coming from with these levels..
Motor Industry Training Organisation

What UK quals does your husband have?

He would really need a C&G / NVQ certificate level 3 or the older C&G certificate 1 and certificate 2 (advanced) for it to be seen as an NZ level 4.

NZIS have pegged the standard they require for an overseas Vehicle Mechanic to be at NZ Register Level 4.

This means that at NZ Register level 4, NZIS would see him as having an equivalent level of training and expertise as their own home grown NZ trained car mechanics.

No one knows the difference between 3 and 4 and there are no more qualifications he could do... except a masters tech certificate which is quite rare over here!!!
The above is not about UK levels . It is about NZ levels.

Home grown car mechanics seek to have an NZ National Certificate level 4 in order to be fully qualified. Mostly they do this through several years of apprenticeship , study and block courses and assessments.

Did your OH do an apprenticeship ?

How many years on the tools has he been?

With the skilled migrant category & to claim bonus points for an occupation on the Long Term Shortage list, the UK quals need to match the NZ equivalent. In this case, that is the NZ register 4.

If you feel he has the required trade expertise, it may be worth your while doing a full NZQA assessment of the UK quals/ training, trade exp. If that came back at level 4, then you could re-apply.

It could be that the NZIS officer looking at your on-line EOI did not understand your husbands quals. It depends what you put down and what he has. If you know he has UK C&G advanced trade certs. , then perhaps you should challenge the decision.

........ No help whatsoever. our only option "get a job offer!" tried explaining that whilst we were over there on holiday the garages would only give him a job once he had his visa, usual chicken and egg scenario.... but.... nothing.
Yes. This is often the case. NZ employers want boots on ground. It is a job offer first and then a work permit as you say.

Oh and to make it worse, we apparently can't go over on a work visa to get a job as OH is over 30!
Now - this has confused me a little but then I am easily confused.

As above. It is a job offer first and then you can apply for a temporary work visa. You cannot apply for a work visa without a job offer . Age has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Age does have something to do with Working Holiday Visas, but you are not seeking to do this from what I gather.

If you were in NZ and gained a job offer, you would apply for a temporary work permit.

what do we do now!!!
1 - Double check your husbands UK mechanics quals. If you feel he has the required level - (perhaps bung them up here too) then challenge the EOI decision.

2 - If you are uncertain about the tradelevel for the skilled migrant category but do feel he has all the right stuff, consider a full NZQA assessment. You will still be looking for a level 4.

3 - Start looking for an NZ job offer. Be very careful over this. You want a liveable wage coming in and good working terms & conditions. When trying to have an NZ employer offer you a job, let them know something of your timeline. Tell 'em you are prepared to apply for a work visa immediately you have a job offer & will then apply for PR from there.

4 - Start thinking about possibly winging it . This means coming here on a visitors visa . You then go all out for that job offer and apply for a work permit .. int hat order. Once you have that, you apply for PR.

5 - Look for an accredited employer & contact them. There is a list on the NZIS website. You'll need to search through to see which employ mechanics. Accredited Employer List HERE

I do not know if the following links will be any good. I have no knowledge of these recruitment sites at all, or if they are current but perhaps they can help. Click the blue type.

Be wary of anyone that wants you to pay them for finding you a job offer. A good recruitment company takes its cut from the employer , not the hopeful migrant.

Auto Jobs in NZ

Automotive jobs

Motor Trade Assocation
You may be able to use this to find a possible employer.

sorry about rant but am so p'ed off, thanks for listening!
That's OK. It's what we are all here for.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

nic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to all
Smile Re: EOI selections 2nd July - anyone any news yet?

Originally Posted by BEVS here
They are talking about NZ levels not UK levels.

He would really need a C&G / NVQ certificate level 3 or the older C&G certificate 1 and certificate 2 (advanced) for it to be seen as an NZ level 4.

He has the old certificates 1 and 2

The above is not about UK levels . It is about NZ levels.

Did your OH do an apprenticeship ? Yes he did

How many years on the tools has he been? 18!!! and counting!

If you feel he has the required trade expertise, it may be worth your while doing a full NZQA assessment of the UK quals/ training, trade exp. If that came back at level 4, then you could re-apply.

We've decided to do this and I am in the process of filling in the online application

It could be that the NZIS officer looking at your on-line EOI did not understand your husbands quals. It depends what you put down and what he has. If you know he has UK C&G advanced trade certs. , then perhaps you should challenge the decision. I e-mailed him and he rang me back, we spoke at great length about the various options. I think it was the working holiday visa thing he is too old for.

3 - Start looking for an NZ job offer. Be very careful over this. You want a liveable wage coming in and good working terms & conditions. When trying to have an NZ employer offer you a job, let them know something of your timeline. Tell 'em you are prepared to apply for a work visa immediately you have a job offer & will then apply for PR from there. Good bit of advice thanks

4 - Start thinking about possibly winging it . This means coming here on a visitors visa . You then go all out for that job offer and apply for a work permit .. int hat order. Once you have that, you apply for PR. OH won't go for this!

That's OK. It's what we are all here for.
Thanks do much Bev for all your help, once I'd calmed down, the day after, we just made a new action plan.... lots for searching on internet to do.

nic
Old Aug 6th 2008, 11:12 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Nic.Gem.Soph EOI declined - Mechanic.

If he has the old C&G certs 1 and 2 advanced , then NZIS should have accepted this. It is what they ask for.
The C&G 2 advanced will have been normally in 3 parts. They like an apprenticeship thrown in too.
If your OH has this, then the NZIS officer has been remis or not understood what was written on the on-line EOI . Challenge it !

Nightmare eh? Have some nightmare karma for being on the receiving end of a .....nightmare .

Looking forward to reading you have gotten through this blurry mess.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Nic.Gem.Soph EOI declined - Mechanic.

Oh thanks for that, how do I challenge it, talk to him again or go to someone else.

nic
Old Aug 9th 2008, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

jimanddebs has a brilliant futurejimanddebs has a brilliant futurejimanddebs has a brilliant futurejimanddebs has a brilliant futurejimanddebs has a brilliant futurejimanddebs has a brilliant futurejimanddebs has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Nic.Gem.Soph EOI declined - Mechanic.

hello

i might be able to help here. i also have city and guilds parts 1,2 and 3 and nz immigration said they needed to be level 4. they said i must have parts 1 and 2, i countered by saying i had the even higher qualification of part 3 and this really baffled nz immigration. eventually i had to send my qualifications and references of work experience to nzqa in wellington. £300 later and a 4 week wait resulted in a level 4 assessment and everyone happy. pity im a fat git tho haha. hope this helps.

jim
Old Aug 9th 2008, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Post Re: Nic.Gem.Soph EOI declined - Mechanic.

Originally Posted by jimanddebs
hello

i might be able to help here. i also have city and guilds parts 1,2 and 3 and nz immigration said they needed to be level 4. they said i must have parts 1 and 2, i countered by saying i had the even higher qualification of part 3 and this really baffled nz immigration. eventually i had to send my qualifications and references of work experience to nzqa in wellington. £300 later and a 4 week wait resulted in a level 4 assessment and everyone happy. pity im a fat git tho haha. hope this helps.

jim
Jim, I read your reply on medical denied, my OH is that size without playing rugby, it's the first question people who don't know him ask! Hang in there and don't give up.
What is your C & G in? And why £300 if you don't mind me asking, have u had to do the assessment twice? Duh me, did you go the fast track option which is why it only took 4 weeks..... and cost more money....? sorry, did i mention I'm blonde
I thinks it daft that if you qualify in a skilled area and then spend 18 years doing that job, that they still have to check you're at the same level as a newly qualified mechanic over there would be.

nic
Old Aug 9th 2008, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

jimanddebs has a brilliant futurejimanddebs has a brilliant futurejimanddebs has a brilliant futurejimanddebs has a brilliant futurejimanddebs has a brilliant futurejimanddebs has a brilliant futurejimanddebs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Nic.Gem.Soph EOI declined - Mechanic.

hi nic

sorry i should havesaid i am a fully qualified mechanic due to my time in the army. i have c&g 3901 parts 1,2 and 3 which is pretty much everything, i also received a certificate from the army saying i was a class 1 mechanic and a certificate from the institue of the motor industry saying the same. i sent all these certs and a work history record and references of work to nzqa to get a level 4, hope this helps

jim